Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

On 17/09/2023 at 21:47, rob D2 said:

I'm sorry to hear to hear of the struggles people have in their workplace .

Ive always been of the opinion that what you spend 5/7 of your life doing you must enjoy .

If not walk away , alter your reality , life's too short .

I'd rather live in a tent in the woods than my  hse than compromise my personal sovereignty .

Had one of those 'lightening bulb' moments a couple of months ago in the rural Mid-West United States when a technician arrived to remove the cable TV hardware from my father-in laws house, who at the time was moving into a care home with dementia.

The technician who once had his own business was working for one of the Cable companies and was planning to live "somewhere in the woods off grid" to escape the rat-race. Something that was not exactly difficult to achieve in a laid back, relatively sparsely populated part of the states.

The other amazing thing was the way the local small town community rallied round my wife (who left the States over 40 years ago) when she decided to care for her father at home and the effectiveness of the public health system in very Republican State shattered some of my perceptions of the United States.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Had my first official [*] encounter with Covid early this year, had been making slow but steady progress on the layout until then, but it knocked me out for 3~4 weeks (including my first ever ambulance ride) and the months afterwards were pretty grim, and I'm still sorting through stuff which was in progress but has lain abandoned since. A couple of months back I had to dismantle the layout for access reasons (A/C unit above the layout needed replacing) and realised I would not have the energy to put it back together again. Fortunately I came up with a way of downsizing it somewhat, and am gradually recycling bits of the previous layout, but progress is slow (the long hot summer in these parts and work-related issues not helping either).

[*] I came down with a mysterious respiratory ailment in late February 2020 which at the time did not qualify me for a PCR test, but it was remarkably similar to what I had this year).

• Friendly/supportive 10

Not relevant in my case, as the infection occurred in winter when the A/C wasn't in use at all. It's not a closed system and I've never heard of A/C use cited as a compounding factor in existing infections. Though I do imagine needing to use A/C in the unprecedented long hot eversummer (thanks climate change) we're currently "enjoying" might make breathing more uncomfortable than otherwise.

I do recall in the first couple of months of the pandemic Japanese TV showing simulations of A/C-induced airflows in public places such as restaurants which would explain known clusters, which is why Japan was big on ventilation and masking while the UK was still wittering on about hand washing songs.

• Like 5

On 22/09/2023 at 16:49, Coldgunner said:

Another knockback :(

Went for the senior role at work, made a presentation with ideas etc and didn't get it. I've been with the company so long, have offered good idea, gone above and beyond trying to improve things for the team. Working my arse off to try and get all this done. I'm one of the most knowledgeable on the team, I know all the wrinkles, I even write up sodding procedures.

Probably gone to some bullshitter. I don't do bullshitting at work, I tell it like it is. Can't wait to also have to fix the new 'seniors' problems too. Feel so undervalued its unbelievable. I should have joined the railways when I left school, done something I'd have loved. I need to seriously think about changing jobs. I deserve better.

Working in IT has killed my love of tinkering with PC's.

Sorry to hear that. It's always a sod when you've been working somewhere a while and get passed over. It could be that they didn't promote you BECAUSE you do the work, and know how it goes, and the managers think nobody else will do the job properly if they lift you up. One of the departments at my work fell to bits for weeks because a guy who'd been there 20 years retired, and the rest of the team were left scrambling as it turned out only he knew the procedures properly. At my wifes' work (a school), a teacher who's been covering loads of subjects on a crappy rolling temp contract applied for a better-paying, permanent role in Art (which he has been covering a lot of, and in which he has a degree). Turned down in favour of a fresh out of training newb, and to add insult they told this chap "but if we'd have promoted you, we wouldn't have cover for all those other subject lessons, and you do it so well". He asked for a payrise in recognition then, and was told badically no chance. So he's told them where to stick it, and walked.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ben B said:

Sorry to hear that. It's always a sod when you've been working somewhere a while and get passed over. It could be that they didn't promote you BECAUSE you do the work, and know how it goes, and the managers think nobody else will do the job properly if they lift you up. One of the departments at my work fell to bits for weeks because a guy who'd been there 20 years retired, and the rest of the team were left scrambling as it turned out only he knew the procedures properly. At my wifes' work (a school), a teacher who's been covering loads of subjects on a crappy rolling temp contract applied for a better-paying, permanent role in Art (which he has been covering a lot of, and in which he has a degree). Turned down in favour of a fresh out of training newb, and to add insult they told this chap "but if we'd have promoted you, we wouldn't have cover for all those other subject lessons, and you do it so well". He asked for a payrise in recognition then, and was told badically no chance. So he's told them where to stick it, and walked.

Never underestimate how often companies promote people out of roles they have become a problem in.  Unfortunately many, if not most organisations are terrible at succession planning, although they would probably all agree that it's a Very Good Idea.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

I joined the railways briefly during covid . What really impressed me was the strength of the unions in protecting their members, we don’t have that in Aviation. It’s every man, dog and narcissist for themselves , which is why Airlines in some cases are paying pitiful salaries .

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

If I can find a decent non-public facing role near Peterborough I'd be at it like a rat up a drainpipe

Signalling or Crossing Keeper.

9 Boxes and two manned crossings heading West, more boxes out towards March, Whittlesea etc.

They recruit regularly.

Drop e a line for info.

Regards

Ian

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

If I can find a decent non-public facing role near Peterborough I'd be at it like a rat up a drainpipe

Most vacancies are never advertised, so give your local train company a call and register your interest. 

Good luck! 

One of us, one of us....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 33C said:

Most vacancies are never advertised, so give your local train company a call and register your interest. 

Good luck! 

One of us, one of us....

Just don't say he or she in your competency answers, you'll be accused of gender prejudice.

F'ing ridiculous 

8 minutes ago, NBL said:

Just don't say he or she in your competency answers, you'll be accused of gender prejudice.

F'ing ridiculous 

"I'm tanned, swarthy and self identify as a class 37...

Gis a job"

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh B**ger comes to mind. So I did the redundancy work and feel better ironicly now that it is shared with the managers who are working on it. We are all keeping our fingers and toes crossed that extra work which is in the pipeline and which may stop the redundancies in their tracks (we all hope) 

However having got rid of that yesterday driving to work I suddenly lost hearing in one ear, felt like double vison which stopped after a minute or so but was replaced by a headache. So no driving for me till I have been seen, Just keeping my fingers crossed it was not a TIA. All I can say is if you get any symptoms get seen quickly. I am being assessed on Sunday as the symptoms went quickly. 

I have managed to do some sorting of modelling bits even if I've not done any actual modelling.  Not driving means I can't take the children to their clubs they have each evening which may yet ironicly allow some modelling, if I can shake the feeling tired feeling. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Modelling mojo- sometimes I have to kick myself to get on. So now I confirmed to participate to Roade next year with Frimingham even the second fiddle year is not even started. Same with Donnersbachkogel, I still didn't finish the fiddle yard but I am registered on two shows next year. This gives me a kick to go on. Other than that a small Diesel shunter needs to be finished, my Banavie bridge needs a layout around it. So loads of things to finish, I just need to give myself the kick to do it...

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

My modelling mojo returned with a vengeance for a new model railway bring built at home.

Unfortunately my layout at the MRC is slowing... why? It's electrics time..  47 years working in electronic test, repair, maintenance, and calibration, has left me with a lack of enthusiasm.

• Friendly/supportive 9

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

My modelling mojo returned with a vengeance for a new model railway bring built at home.

Unfortunately my layout at the MRC is slowing... why? It's electrics time..  47 years working in electronic test, repair, maintenance, and calibration, has left me with a lack of enthusiasm.

That's a case of "Cobbler's Boots", you're not on your own with that one.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Indeed - I was lucky enough, some years ago, to find gainful employment closely related to an open source project I've been involved with for many years, but as it's gained popularity it's become ever more commercial, and the company I worked for was bought out by a bigger player which is in hock to the kind of people who'd sell their own grandmothers if it looked good on the balance sheet. They decided the other week, pretty much on a whim, to lay off an 8th of the company to free up funds for the new "shiny", and announced it in such a way that it wasn't immediately clear that the process was already over when they announced it; fortunately I was in the other seven 8ths, but it hasn't done much to improve the mood, and at this point I'm basically there out of inertia.

On the plus side I have been pootling away at reassembling the layout out of bits of preceding layout attempts.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2023 at 09:53, Coldgunner said:

I know what you mean, working in IT killed my love of tinkering with computers. It'll come back eventually if I move out of the IT sector.

I too can relate - shared a passion in aviation with my Dad (who started his working career with British Caledonian in 1971) and we would go 'spotting' around the country - I've now been in the industry for 15-16 years, which has all but extinguished any enthusiasm for it.  Ultimately, this why I returned to the hobby...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 minutes ago, jafcreasey said:

I too can relate - shared a passion in aviation with my Dad (who started his working career with British Caledonian in 1971) and we would go 'spotting' around the country - I've now been in the industry for 15-16 years, which has all but extinguished any enthusiasm for it.  Ultimately, this why I returned to the hobby...

As my mum told me "never make your hobby your job"

Pete

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough, joining TfL nearly ten years ago hasn't lessened my interest in railways (and initially much of my work wasn't Tube-related), but then it's perhaps because I've never particularly thought about modelling the London Underground.  if anything it has expanded my interests.

It is noticeable that there many Tube enthusiasts there are who have no interest in other railways.  It is the whole "brand" of London Underground which interests them.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well the TIA clinic thinks what I had was just a very bad migraine, although an MRI is booked just to check. Whether because of that or things moving on and having a years extension on my contract I managed to do an hours modelling this evening for probably the first time in 7 months. Although most of that was finding bits where I had put them and what to do about missing bits,  Still it was statisfying just to do a little bit. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8