Railway Room Vacuum Cleaners

drmditch

Since the lack of consistently summery weather has forced me to work inside, this creating more dust and debris in my railway room, my recent acquisition of a 'cordless' vacuum cleaner has proved invaluable.

This thread is proposed as a memorial to the late lamented 'Henry the Hoover', cruelly stolen away from his railway by a person or persons unknown, 

My new cleaner is called 'Dilly the Dyson', 

Do other people give names to these useful implements?

Er, well, no.

But I'll add a second vote in favour of the dye on cordless. We bought a v8 absolute for quick hoovering and have found it so good that the older and bigger cord dyeing barely gets used, and it is absolutely fracker for layout/workbench cleaning.

K

• RMweb Gold

i bought a dyson handheld cordless for my railway shed from cash convertors for £60, my wife intercepted it though and its never made it out there since

got a load of stray ballast to get up so it will be once she goes off to the caravan for the summer!!

our big dyson is called "barbera" in memory of nan off the royale family

"i'd love a dyson, barbera"

"me too mum"

"whats a dyson, barb?"

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

Only thing I could add is that I have an old vac and was told to put an old piece of stocking up the pipe on occasion so that  'missing' things that pinged off into oblivion may possibly reappear 'in the stocking'. If yours doesn't have a pipe then that's a useless tip.................................... :whistle:

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Only thing I could add is that I have an old vac and was told to put an old piece of stocking up the pipe on occasion so that  'missing' things that pinged off into oblivion may possibly reappear 'in the stocking'. If yours doesn't have a pipe then that's a useless tip.................................... :whistle:

Phil

ive heard all about you and your stockings

rocky-horror-picture-show-tim-curry.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm not entirely convinced by this bagless vacuum lark, having used one bagless vac to clean up another on a fairly regular basis. I think I'd prefer a small version of a workshop vac if such a thing exists. In my "dirty" shed workshop, where a lot of dust gets created, I've got an Aldi workshop vac which does a very good job. The bags are a little bit fiddly to fit and seal but it does hold a lot of sawdust & other detritus. It's rather unwieldy for indoor use.

Mark.

• RMweb Premium

I usually use a small dustpan & brush under/around the workbench to find the brass & detail items which pinged off while I'm working on them! A microvac may be required for static grass recycling when I get onto that.

Esme our black cat likes being brushed with the hand brush.

Dava