The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old Lorries

6 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

This Alfa Romeo pick up is very pricey but would make a wonderful project.... I'd imagine it's actually rarer than some of the really desirable cars they made in the '50s and '60s....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1236362

TT 13222903.jpg

TT 13222905.jpg

I like that a great deal. I remember noting, from my Observer's Book of Commercial Vehicles, that the Alfa commercials shared engine capacities with the cars, but I always assumed they'd use some cooking variation with fewer camshafts. Interestingly not. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, duncan said:

Was it an Alfa car transporter in the "Italian Job" ?

No they used the Fiat variety, in fact they used two, and bearing in mind Gianni Agnello said the production crew could have anything they wanted from Fiat free of charge it's no surprise really.....

TT i021622.jpg

TT i627697.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

No they used the Fiat variety, in fact they used two, and bearing in mind Gianni Agnello said the production crew could have anything they wanted from Fiat free of charge it's no surprise really.....

TT i021622.jpg

TT i627697.jpg

They look as though they might both be right-hand drive versions; this was not uncommon on Italian trucks until quite recently, as it made driving on bendy mountain roads easier.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

D'you know, I've watched the film hundreds of times and never once thought about that!

Here's another variation on the theme, this one is carrying new Iso Rivoltas from the factory in Turin....

ISOs on FIAT Transporter.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

They look as though they might both be right-hand drive versions; this was not uncommon on Italian trucks until quite recently, as it made driving on bendy mountain roads easier.

I can see a Farina Austin A60 on the red one but what cars are on the darker one?

Edited by PhilJ W

The red car on top of the darker transporter is a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, below it in the shadows is what looks like a Fiat 850 Spider with the hood erected, the Farina saloon on the other transporter might be an Innocenti badged version of the British Oxford / Cambridge.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2020 at 10:23, Rugd1022 said:

Some more old Alfa commercials, including one with a grille muff....

TT ALFA TRANSPORTER de5bb.jpg

That front vaguely reminds me of a modern US fire truck:

100_1737.jpg.e4bf64449e704483a92004de816e28e5.jpg

Minus all of the emergency accessories.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

A large piece of kit being extracted from the old Willan's Works of the GEC in Newbold Road Rugby....

Speaking of over-size load carriers, I saw this in a West Virginia welcome center dead-heading back to its' home base:

100_1137.jpg.642b950eb9fbf0a0afc78e4d0f378336.jpg

I would hate to have to buy a set of tires for that! :o Fifty tires if I counted right.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MinZaPint said:

Spotted at a local vaccination centre last week, with a couple of mates we used to have a tipper version for our Landscaping business.

20210611_122328.jpg

A few years ago (late 90's) they had a parrot nosed Dodge and an Austin K series still delivering coal but kept in immaculate condition. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...