The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old Lorries

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Funny thing, the Foden was a single drive as was the AEC! At our depot only the eight wheeled  Fodens plus that Mickey Mouse cab six wheeler were double drive and six of the seven AEC's were single drive. Not well specced considering where we had to get! I had a very strong chain at all times!.

37114 me too, pity rust got the better of them so quickly.

Giles, I was admiring your R/C trucks, very cool! I was waiting for the Atki to do a reversing demo!

Used to see loads of Dalgety vehicles growing up as we lived in rural Somerset and they used to deliver to loads of the farms from Avonmouth, quite a few of the motors were Sed Atki 301s, a motor which would rival an Ergomatic for its ability to disolve in rain.. The first company I worked for had a couple of Sed Atki 400s as shunters but was otherwise all ERF's. When SA brought out the Strato which was selling like hot cakes at the time, the salesman pitched up with one to the owner. He was politely asked to return in 5 years and if it hadn't rusted then we we would look to buy one then...

• Like 4

Brings back memories. I was a "head Office" engineer with RHM Agriculture from early 1974, through the Dalgety Spillers merger until 1987.

Terry

Edited by Dublodad
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Just a handful of these small trucks were built by Maserati for carting engines and machine parts around the factory site....

MULLETO img-757361357e.jpg

What engine did they use?

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

What engine did they use?

Two cylinder two stroke 1500cc. One of them was used solely for transporting racing car parts from the factory to the nearby Modena Autodrome test track facility.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ipswich Co-Op BMC coal lorry at work on domestic fuel deliveries back in 1981.....

81-758a.JPG.47eb733e6cc3c51bfa2a8e364ba3a946.JPG

This is the prototype of the one that Base Toys produced a few years back and they presumably used the photo of it on my Flikr site to come up with the idea, as I wondered why the image was being looked at so many times......

Shame they didn't bother to put the short "snout" on the model though, as it looks totally different without it.

They changed some of the details too, but kept the Ipswich registration plate on it !

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Ipswich Co-Op BMC coal lorry at work on domestic fuel deliveries back in 1981.....

81-758a.JPG.47eb733e6cc3c51bfa2a8e364ba3a946.JPG

This is the prototype of the one that Base Toys produced a few years back and they presumably used the photo of it on my Flikr site to come up with the idea, as I wondered why the image was being looked at so many times......

Shame they didn't bother to put the short "snout" on the model though, as it looks totally different without it.

They changed some of the details too, but kept the Ipswich registration plate on it !

The 'snout' was because of it being a diesel-powered version, wasn't it?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The 'snout' was because of it being a diesel-powered version, wasn't it?

I believe that was the case.

The slightly earlier Morris Greengrocery carts didn't have the "snout"

82-142a.JPG.46c0dfed5452f52d120839963aebfe28.JPG.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
added photo
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

They had a six cylinder as opposed to a four cylinder engine hence the snout. Its predecessor was even more interesting, it was a battery electric and can be seen in the Ipswich Transport Museum.

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They had a six cylinder as opposed to a four cylinder engine hence the snout. Its predecessor was even more interesting, it was a battery electric and can be seen in the Ipswich Transport Museum.

Ipswich Co-Op actually had a fleet of 12 electric coal delivery lorries, entering service between May 1951 and December 1958. The last one of them was withdrawn in 1983, from memory.

The ITM one (APV 94) is one of the 1951 Morrisons, of which there were two (APV 94/95)....

81-102.JPG.55107fb812ad6ac4936a3638cef027ff.JPG

They weren't the first electric coal lorry used by the Co-Op though, as they had a Ransomes Orwell Electric which entered service in February 1916, registered DX 1611 !

I painted one of the ITMs two preserved Orwell lorries up in the original Co-Op 1916 colour scheme back in 1989........

89-42.JPG.36a9b8fa75c89f6eda4198aa87ce40fb.JPG

The cab on the 1916 original was a bit more basic than this though!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Ipswich Co-Op actually had a fleet of 12 electric coal delivery lorries, entering service between May 1951 and December 1958. The last one of them was withdrawn in 1983, from memory.

The ITM one (APV 94) is one of the 1951 Morrisons, of which there were two (APV 94/95)....

81-102.JPG.55107fb812ad6ac4936a3638cef027ff.JPG

They weren't the first electric coal lorry used by the Co-Op though, as they had a Ransomes Orwell Electric which entered service in February 1916, registered DX 1611 !

I painted one of the ITMs two preserved Orwell lorries up in the original Co-Op 1916 colour scheme back in 1989........

89-42.JPG.36a9b8fa75c89f6eda4198aa87ce40fb.JPG

The cab on the 1916 original was a bit more basic than this though!

Interesting as Ransoms offered both front wheel drive and rear wheel drive models. The above is front wheel drive, the motors turn with the front wheels which must make the steering very heavy. Even more so on the other preserved example that has solid tyres. The ex Ipswich tower wagon at the EATM.

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Interesting as Ransoms offered both front wheel drive and rear wheel drive models. The above is front wheel drive, the motors turn with the front wheels which must make the steering very heavy. Even more so on the other preserved example that has solid tyres. The ex Ipswich tower wagon at the EATM.

This one was supposed to be the first prototype lorry that Ransomes produced, circa 1914, though any confirmation of that is lost in the midsts of time. If it was, it wasn't actually registered until 1916 and then went to Birmingham as an electric refuse collection vehicle for a while, before returning to Ransomes where it became their works vehicle No.1

We also have their No.4, which is chain drive to the rear wheels and a tipper. That is in store, partially restored, so hasn't been on public view for several years. We've got the parts to return 1 to solid tyres at some stage in the future, but it really needs a full rebuild, as the current cab is an early 1960's "botch" from a fully enclosed cab that it carried in its later life with Ransomes. No.4 still has the fully enclosed cab.

It was certainly an interesting vehicle to drive with the weight of the motors on the front steering, with 3 forward "notches" on the controller, one reverse, and a regenerative breaking notch as well. Selection is done by a hand operated lever in conjunction with depressing a foot pedal.  Drove the thing several miles in the 1990's when it was fully operational, including from Ipswich to Felixstowe and back!!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps someone can help with this one.  40 mumble years ago, a family friend had a late 1930s Karrier lorry, possibly a Bantam (twin axle, 7.5T flat bed), with a registration somewhere in the West Riding (not sure if it was a county or town/city registation).  He had to sell it, and it was last heard of in the Whalley Bridge area, but that was not long after it was sold.  I've tried doing a web search, but I haven't come across any sign of it.  Has anyone come across it ?

Adrian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I photographed a similar Ipswich Co-op milk float on 22nd September 1984:

post-1877-0-23038800-1522170598.jpg

That was the last of the Smiths/NCB Greengrocery vehicles to remain in service (it entered service in Jan 1960) and survived into the early 1990's as a depot "hack" vehicle .

Thoughts were given to possibly obtaining it for the ITM, but in the end, we waited until the last mobile Greengrocery vehicles were withdrawn in 1998 and we got a later Smiths built one like this instead....

98-472a.JPG.4d279187ba2cb888c2a0f0812b0491a8.JPG

Photo taken at the  Co-Op Henslow Road depot in July 1998 during their last months of operation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1