Shefflex railcar

Looking ahead, I'm considering building a small light railway layout in 4mm scale,  00 track, and besides short loco hauled trains, a Shefflex or similar, petrol railcar or indeed a steam unit from Edwardian times, would be nice. I see Worsley Works produce a keenly priced body kit for the Ford/Shefflex types, and wondered if anyone who has built one can advise on the matter of chassis and power train for one, and how easy cor otherwise construction might be? Alternatively, as it would be a "freelance" pre-grouping layout, something that I might tackle as a first scratch building effort?  All ideas welcome. Or indeed, if anyone might be selling such a beast, I'm open to suggestion....  The era  isn't firm as yet, but I'd like to do something  about 1910 - 1920 when such railways were still in evidence, albeit not usually very profitably, even under the good Colonel.

Other rolling stock would be any short small tank loco (I have a Terrier in my stock already) with a couple of Ratio GWR style 4 wheel carriages, and whatever motley items of  goods vehicles such a line would have on it's books, or passing through from the big boys.

• Like 2

I think Branchlines of Westbury do a kit and possibly one by Steam and Things in Australia.

There was a kit by Tergam(?), which is no longer available.

Gordon A

Hmm, doesn't look like Branchlines are still around Gordon, unless they are so low-profile they don't have a web presence (old Blog still there from nearly 10 years ago, though!)

They are indeed so low-profile they no longer have a web presence.  It is, however, well worth the effort of contacting them by traditional means.

Edited to add that I'm fairly sure the Branchlines set is only available in 7mm.  I've got a Tuargem 4mm set and am more than happy with it.  I'm told, however that there are accuracy issues with it, although I don't know what they are.

Edited by mike morley
  • Like 1

Looks like it might have to be the Worsley body kit and whatever I can cobble together to make it run. Just read an article where the modeller made an IoM tramcar with a wagon built on a motorised bogie to propel it, that might be one option I guess.