Live webcam at Grosmont, NYMR.

Free At Last

No it's the Il Duce self censoring software on RMWeb.

The bald bloke could be Andy Y bunking off from his BRM duties but we don't know because the software has blurred his face

He's in panto at the moment, Baldilocks and the 3 Hairs.

I believe it's called rain. I think they have quite a bit of it "Oop North". ;)

Jason

Looking at it, its quite likely to be crud, the signal box windows are the same at the moment, if it gets really bad I'll nick a sponge on a long pole.

• Like 1

Steamport Southport, as I live on the edge of the pennines in West Yorkshire I can tell when its rain. You tend to find as rain is fluid, it moves and eventually dries out but that is definatley some sort of crud, its been there a few days, could possibly be the inside of the camera dome fogging up after the snow and damp weather but it certainly distorts the picture

Is it not to blur the faces of the guys who do not want to be identified as they have told their wives that they are on a "business trip to Yorkshire".  (Did that once, company I was going to see in Bury was supposed to be an all day visit, was finished by lunchtime so I nipped round to the East Lancs Railway)

Jim

After posting the DMU yesterday I got a couple more grabs:

12:20 pm: look at all those people! (shows Tornado is famous haha!)

post-30384-0-20910400-1520426042_thumb.png

Letting off steam:

post-30384-0-77127400-1520426079_thumb.png

And WHEN will we ever be able to travel behind Tornado without prebooking?I've never known it to happen before.I also wonder if the world's 3 most famous locomotives list reads as follows:

1. Flying Scotsman
  2. Mallard
  3. Tornado

That's what I think anyway...

Edited by Tug002

And WHEN will we ever be able to travel behind Tornado without prebooking?I've never known it to happen before.I also wonder if the world's 3 most famous locomotives list reads as follows:

Tornado is quite expensive to book by including the daily steaming fees, coal, water, staff time and transport in/out, pre-booking means that the hosting railway has the money in the bank and effectively weather proofs the event.  You still laying out most of those costs and if nobody comes because its chucking it down with rain you lose a lot of money, so they pre-book to guarantee the income - subject to things like snow etc.

And WHEN will we ever be able to travel behind Tornado without prebooking?I've never known it to happen before.

I've travelled behind it at galas four or five times and never had to pre-book. In fact I think this pre-booking thing has only happened recently due to Joe Public starting to go to galas in numbers. The first I heard of pre-booking was at the SVR when they had to cancel the proper gala. I suppose it's a good thing if it brings in the punters. Not so good if you like going to galas and travelling behind as many locos as possible and hopping on random trains.

Just wait until the hype dies down again. Same goes for FS. You couldn't give away tickets to travel behind that a few years ago. Maybe when the general public get a bit bored with it you can go and travel behind it at leisure again.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Boris,

As a regular viewer from down-under I would really appreciate the lens being cleaned.

Also yesterday there were 2 uniformed "officials" who made a trip to the gents and upon leaving, turned and waved to the camera. Any chance of saying "hello" back to them as I bet they didn't know someone from 12,000 miles away was watching  :sungum:

Cheers,

Peter

Boris,

As a regular viewer from down-under I would really appreciate the lens being cleaned.

Also yesterday there were 2 uniformed "officials" who made a trip to the gents and upon leaving, turned and waved to the camera. Any chance of saying "hello" back to them as I bet they didn't know someone from 12,000 miles away was watching  :sungum:

Cheers,

Peter

I'll talk to our 2 platforms guys and mention it to them!

Cleaning the webcam isn't quite as easy as just climbing up to it as there is an anti-climb plate on the signal ladder because its on a platform.  I need to get S&T there with a key and for myself or one of them to go and do it.  A rag on a stick likely won't cut it because its likely there is oil in with that crud, but leave it with me please,

• Like 1

I've travelled behind it at galas four or five times and never had to pre-book. In fact I think this pre-booking thing has only happened recently due to Joe Public starting to go to galas in numbers. The first I heard of pre-booking was at the SVR when they had to cancel the proper gala. I suppose it's a good thing if it brings in the punters. Not so good if you like going to galas and travelling behind as many locos as possible and hopping on random trains.

Just wait until the hype dies down again. Same goes for FS. You couldn't give away tickets to travel behind that a few years ago. Maybe when the general public get a bit bored with it you can go and travel behind it at leisure again.

Jason

Will they ever?

Edited by Tug002

Will they ever?

Yes. These things go in circles of popularity. 

Take Flying Scotsman as an example. In the 1960s it was popular when it was restored. Then it went to the States and came back and was popular again. Then it had a spell where it was just another engine and not seen as anything special. Then it was hyped up again when the new owner (Marchington) took over it and tried to turn it into a brand. Then he sold it and it was hyped up again. Now the NRM are hyping it up.

I remember the early to mid 1980s when everything was GWR this and GWR that. You couldn't turn on the TV without someone going on how "wonderful" the GWR was, There was even a children's TV programme called Gods Wonderful Railway.

There was also the hype over Blue Peter. There is a whole generation that know what 532 Blue Peter is, but have no interest in railways. All because it was a regular feature of the TV programme.

One thing about hype is eventually people get bored with it.

Jason

When I used to go over to Steamtown in the 1970s with my dad to work on 4498, 4472 was very much just a loco - it had no support crew, they used to borrow the A4LS lads if they could and I don't remember anyone doing much with it. I used to sit in the cab to eat my sarnies and sometimes have a ride if they were shunting it about.

Yes. These things go in circles of popularity. 

Take Flying Scotsman as an example. In the 1960s it was popular when it was restored. Then it went to the States and came back and was popular again. Then it had a spell where it was just another engine and not seen as anything special. Then it was hyped up again when the new owner (Marchington) took over it and tried to turn it into a brand. Then he sold it and it was hyped up again. Now the NRM are hyping it up.

I remember the early to mid 1980s when everything was GWR this and GWR that. You couldn't turn on the TV without someone going on how "wonderful" the GWR was, There was even a children's TV programme called Gods Wonderful Railway.

There was also the hype over Blue Peter. There is a whole generation that know what 532 Blue Peter is, but have no interest in railways. All because it was a regular feature of the TV programme.

One thing about hype is eventually people get bored with it.

Jason

That would have been GWR 150.I know that predates me but I've read about it.

No reference to Tornado but certain elements,not least its age,have probably put it in this position.

PS really ought to be watching the webcam...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Saw the B1 leave with the Pullmans this morning, only for Repton to follow it a short while later and to then bring the set back into Grosmont, with the B1 still attached at the rear. Both locos then headed for the shed.

Anybody know what the problem was?

Edited by s182ggu