The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Which sports/tourer? Japanese/European motorcycles

Pete 75C

Someone mention plastic ?

attachicon.gifDucati Paso 750 full right view.jpg

I remember lusting over photos of that when it was new, likewise similar-looking Bimotas. Now, I just don't like the look of it at all. Funny how tastes change. Also, it kinda proves how bikes can stir more emotions than cars. If I was in the market for a modern 4 door saloon, all the big contenders look ok. Bikes are somehow different. I can look at a brace of the most popular 750cc sports bikes (from 2006 for example). One of them will be dog-ugly, two of them will look ok but nothing special, and then one of them will make you drool...

Edited by Pete 75C

I beg to differ. That's too much plastic...

Honda CBR1000F 97.jpg

That's from the 90s, right? The multi coloured shapes gave it away.

As I said before, I'm no biker, but I do like looking them (and the engine note of a V twin), and almost all fairings detract from the appeal in my opinion. I'm sure if think differently if I had to ride a bike without any though!

• RMweb Gold

You could do what I did and get a sidecar outfit.  Why terrify yourself at 150mph when you can terrify yourself at 50mph?

650cc Ural Dalesman. ¼ ton of Russian iron, steel & aluminium.

post-7249-0-36041300-1498467418_thumb.jpg

Utterly mad things to drive/ride but when mastered, very satisfying.

• Like 7

You could do what I did and get a sidecar outfit.  Why terrify yourself at 150mph when you can terrify yourself at 50mph?

650cc Ural Dalesman. ¼ ton of Russian iron, steel & aluminium.

attachicon.gifDSC00594a.JPG

Utterly mad things to drive/ride but when mastered, very satisfying.

I love it.

I bet the cars and trucks don't pull out on you quite so readily when they see that thing coming :D

• RMweb Gold

My daughter has decided she wants one of these...

attachicon.gif6108756872_d6e66b5eb5_z.jpg

Photo by John Shepherd on Flickr

There was me thinking you were a good bloke and then you put that on here!  My wife has nagged me for ages to get a sidecar so we can let the dog travel with us.  Sadly the dog is no longer with us but there would be no way I would have a sidecar at any price.

Now the Lambretta is a different thing.  I passed my test on one at the tender age of 16 and still have a soft spot for one even after having ridden motorbikes for years.  Too uch money though!

Honda CBR1000 early ones just look so full of plastic (cos they are) and bulbous (cos they are) and just so wrong.  How that even in the 80's could be described as good looking escapes me.  The naked CBF1000's look far better.  I had the CBF600 and it was a handy little thing but no good with two up.  Having had a couple of VFR800's one which did 30000 miles in 3 years when I was instructing I have to say I am a fan.  Reliable, comfortable and to me a far more interesting exhaust note than an across the frame four cylinder.

Having been on Triumph triples for the last 3 - 4 years though I am now a big fan of the triple sound.

Keep looking but don't expect to get much of a bargain anywhere.  Bike prices especially the older 'modern' stuff are silly.

• Like 2

I love sidecars. I built one, along with a mate, a long time ago. Damn thing nearly killed me on a number of occasions but it was so gloriously barking mad that it was all worthwhile. I told the story here. A decade and a half later MrsB and I bought the first current generation Ural to arrive in Australia and I had the rather enjoyable task of ferrying it across Australia, a trip which I wrote up here, although all the pics seem to have disappeared.

The first, the monstrous Razorback (so called because it was squat, grey, aggressive and likely to kill you if you annoyed it).

post-17123-0-69602000-1498485122.jpgpost-17123-0-79932800-1498485119.jpg

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

Or if you prefer the retro look.

attachicon.gifindex.jpg

I do indeed prefer the retro look. Of a similar vintage, it's always been the big V4s that have appealed to me rather than Honda's parallel 4s.

post-17811-0-31471200-1498539198.jpg

1S36E-30.jpg

These things, and variations on a theme of, seem quite popular out this way, especially on a Sunday morning, when we get the putty loosened out of the windows with waves of them going up and down the valley.

Mike... You've ruined the thread posting a pic of that. Someone hurry up and advance the thread to Page 5 so I don't have to look at it any more.

In all seriousness, my eldest brother had a Harley for a little while. He sold it on pretty quickly and refuses to talk about it. I'd imagine the cost of the therapy he needed to get over it cost way more than the machine itself. Lots of folk seem to like them, but...

:bad:

My new-to-me Hinckley Triumph has plastic mudguards, as did the previous Honda VT750S and they do just fine. They don't rust, buzz from vibration, or split around the mounting bolts. They don't fade (yet).

My old Harley ironhead Sportster has plastic trials guards, fitted long ago because they were cheap, durable and a tolerable match for the dark blue paint on the tank. They're still in place, after several crashes as a sprinter and hillclimber. A bit scratched, and there's a stain on the front one from spilled methanol, but you can't have everything..

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

My new-to-me Hinckley Triumph has plastic mudguards, as did the previous Honda VT750S and they do just fine. They don't rust, buzz from vibration, or split around the mounting bolts. They don't fade (yet).

My old Harley ironhead Sportster has plastic trials guards, fitted long ago because they were cheap, durable and a tolerable match for the dark blue paint on the tank. They're still in place, after several crashes as a sprinter and hillclimber. A bit scratched, and there's a stain on the front one from spilled methanol, but you can't have everything..

I think plastics on a bike are more than acceptable. As you say, take a mudguard... a metal one will rust and/or pit as soon as you look at it. As much as I like (modern) classics, I have no desire to spend 95% of my time polishing something.

Apologies, I'm just trying to advance the thread to get rid of Mike's Harley pic...

:secret:

I do indeed prefer the retro look. Of a similar vintage, it's always been the big V4s that have appealed to me rather than Honda's parallel 4s.

hondavf1000f.jpg

Mike... You've ruined the thread posting a pic of that. Someone hurry up and advance the thread to Page 5 so I don't have to look at it any more.

In all seriousness, my eldest brother had a Harley for a little while. He sold it on pretty quickly and refuses to talk about it. I'd imagine the cost of the therapy he needed to get over it cost way more than the machine itself. Lots of folk seem to like them, but...

:bad:

There are Harleys and there are Harleys. Standard late model ones (ie most of them) do very little for me, as do those which appear to be rolling parts catalogues or mobile armchairs (ie most of the rest). I am, however, rather partial to a proper, bare bones 50s-60s style bobber or reasonably restrained chopper (no, not some cartoon gothic horror of a thing).

I've also seen a few Sportsters done out as XR750 flattrackers that have looked like fun.

I've never been a big fan of HD myself, My mate's Fatboy has "handling" like an Aircraft carrier, but I suppose it was designed to cover long distances at a moderate speed.

The New 500 and 750's look like they would have a bit more promise, but not having ridden one I can't say.

Although this bad boy tickled my fancy HD XR750TT - although it's not a road bike so very OT . It did win 3 out of 6 Transatlantic races in 1972 so I assume it handles ok. Have a look at that enormous Front Drum Brake and the Buckets being passed off as Mikunis :O

I think a replica would make a stunning cafe racer for the street !

Edit - I just noticed something - is that a Disc brake on the back ??

post-23233-0-84797500-1498546998.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So in a combined effort to rush to page 5..................

Harley Davidsons do nothing for me at all.  Actually that is wrong.  They repulse me violently. :O  Now that isn't to say that I don't think anyone else should like them.  Far from it and I think the fact that there are different makes and styles of bikes for all sorts is a good thing as long as we are free to choose what we want!

I am not a massive fan of cleaning my bike.  In fact it is still covered in flies from my 200 mile round trip to the North Norfolk Railway the week before last!  Must do it soon.  So I really could not cope with all the chrome and stuff of a cruiser.  In my past I have ridden when it was dry and if caught in the rain gone back and cleaned it thoroughly including all the nooks and crannies with a toothbrush and scraped knuckles.  Five years of riding in all weathers instructing cured me of that!

This is my current steed and has been for a couple of years or so now.  Not a lot of plastic or chrome and not that many nooks and crannies.

post-6685-0-97152700-1498553331_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is my current steed and has been for a couple of years or so now.  Not a lot of plastic or chrome and not that many nooks and crannies.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170222_122031.jpg

Now that I do like. I was looking at one of these a couple of weeks back and now I'm wondering if it was actually yours I was looking at! Were you here for the recent diesel gala and did you park in the big council car park by the station in Sheringham?

Now, I know that Jap sportsbikes are clearly mentioned in the thread title, but I am open to alternatives. The original 94-96 Speed Triple is a fine looking beast (to my eyes) but I quite like the later ones too. The smaller Street Triple would appear to get rave reviews as a bike for all things.

Edited by Pete 75C

By all accounts Harleys don't go round corners very well at all, which is a somewhat huge disadvantage round these parts.

Mike.

A course of weight loss, some suspension upgrades and an effort to improve ground clearance (not that there's much that can be done about the huuuge primary chaincase on the Big Twins) all help a bit. Oh, and not starting from the awful Softtail as illustrated upthread. An object lesson in introducing weight and complication for very little real gain. If you're going to have rear suspension at all, you might as well have some that actually works properly. If you want something that looks like a hardtail, have a hardtail and live with the disadvantages.

Sportster racing, from recent DTRA events..

Ironhead, not mine, in Vintage class

post-10066-0-01545100-1498559719_thumb.jpg

Evo, originally built for the factory-sponsored Sport Twins series, in the 90s

post-10066-0-00778100-1498559754_thumb.jpg

Sort-of XR copy..

post-10066-0-28039600-1498559860_thumb.jpg

Actually, they are soft old things, very easy to ride - if not very fast and unlikely to beat anything except another Sportster! They do have the great advantage that they have so much grunt, British speedway tracks can be ridden in a single gear, which is handy if you have a left side shift and a steel shoe.

I converted my ironhead from dope, long ago. It just causes too many issues and doesn't really serve any useful purpose.

• Like 1