The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Which sports/tourer? Japanese/European motorcycles

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

I used to use Shoei helmets. They fitted me nicely. But they seem to change the shell shape. Raid 1 fitted great, Raid 2 was too short for me, leaving my chin poking out of the bottom.

Got an HJC helmet now. Quality wise not as good as Shoei, but fits me ( other than the internal sun visor catching the end of my nose!). I did find I needed a smaller size than expected

Been cleaning these pair up for the bike show at Crich tramway museum this weekend

attachicon.gif6AE95693-D4F8-4161-82EC-2C3D4CE62AC1.jpeg

All the best

Katy

Had to look twice - the Freccia was a Paso at first glance.  Two nice bikes.

• Like 1

Had to look twice - the Freccia was a Paso at first glance.  Two nice bikes.

This Freccia was bought for spare parts for another we have (which is the ex road test bike). But decided it was too good to break. Not that tidy but usable

All the best

Katy

Gosh ... I'm sitting here being amazed at the price of those helmets, and wondering how many other folk on here have fond memories of trying to keep a ratting hat on (and a fag going) whilst riding a motorcycle on the Queen's highways in pre-compulsory-helmet days ...

(Disclaimer: yes, we knew at the time it was risky but we didn't care, and besides nearly every biker I knew did indeed usually wear a helmet.)

I tried smoking while riding precisely once. The incandescent end of me fag came off, spanged off my right eyeball, dropped into my beard, setting it ablaze, before dropping down the neck of my jacket and blazing a fiery trail all the way down to about navel level. Oddly enough I didn't bother trying again :D.

I owned a 1974 R60/6 BMW for a long time and it gave very good service, including commutes of up to 50 miles each way in all weathers. Handling was a bit sluggish but very steady, totally reliable and very smooth. Not fast, but capable of surprisingly good journey times and it would carry a lot of weight, too.

Having owned a K100RS and an R1100RT I'd agree that, whilst not fast in an absolute sense, BMWs are easy to ride swiftly on a sustained basis which, over more than a few miles, is more important for A to B times than racetrack characteristics.

I tried smoking while riding precisely once. The incandescent end of me fag came off, spanged off my right eyeball, dropped into my beard, setting it ablaze, before dropping down the neck of my jacket and blazing a fiery trail all the way down to about navel level. Oddly enough I didn't bother trying again :D.

You may well choose not to believe this but ...

Once upon a time, whilst carrying the complete bottom end of a Vincent Black Shadow engine down the stairs (as you do), and with 3 or 4 steps to go, I suddenly sneezed. Unfortunately I had a fag going at the time. Fortunately it was almost down to the tip, because on the intake stroke, I swallowed it. It hurt like hell, despite the cold water I drank having put the engine down PDQ and jiggered me back in the process ...

• RMweb Gold

Another visit to Infinity in Norwich yesterday. This is rapidly becoming my one-stop shop. I won't order bike clothing online as it really needs to fit properly and therefore has to be tried on. The helmet dilemma has been addressed. Having convinced myself I had an Arai-shaped head, apparently not so. Having spent half an hour with a guy who knew more about helmets than I do about trivial nonsense, I settled on a gold-stamped HJC RPHA70. I also came home with an Alpinestars textile/leather mix jacket and leather gloves. Sidi boots complete the line-up. I'm picking the bike up next Wednesday, so that will herald the end of summer and the arrival of monsoons etc. Absolutely guaranteed...

attachicon.gifRPHA_70_FORVIC.jpg

attachicon.gifsp-x.jpg

With that lot on you'll be a shoe in for the next Star Wars episode.

Lookin at the beeb wether page it is predicktind thunder storms for next Wednesday, now we know why :jester:

Pete's not safe out here either, we've just had a thunderstorm and torrential rain this afternoon..

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick progress report after 3 weeks and about 800 miles... Oh yeah... should have done this years ago.

I like to think I've got used to it but have made a couple of changes. Ordered a slightly taller screen because at 6ft, the standard little flyscreen was directing airflow directly into my neck and shoulders. Hopefully this will make a difference.

The massive heavy metal luggage rack and pannier frames have been removed as I just don't see me using them. They're a doddle to fit back on if I change my mind. I just think the bike has a nicer-looking ar$e without them...

I'm tempted by SatNav as I have all the direction-finding ability of a blind donkey. Pre-empting the SatNav, I've fitted a Sena bluetooth set to the crash helmet, essential to receive voice instructions as it's obviously not wise to spend too much time looking down at the SatNav unit on the handlebars...

Sun's still shining and all's well with the world. Off to Spain tomorrow (not on the bike though). First time flying from Norwich International Airport, often described as a bus stop with a vending machine and a runway beside it. It had better be sunny in Spain or I may have to stay in Norfolk...

post-17811-0-50050300-1532597311.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quick progress report after 3 weeks and about 800 miles... Oh yeah... should have done this years ago.

I like to think I've got used to it but have made a couple of changes. Ordered a slightly taller screen because at 6ft, the standard little flyscreen was directing airflow directly into my neck and shoulders. Hopefully this will make a difference.

The massive heavy metal luggage rack and pannier frames have been removed as I just don't see me using them. They're a doddle to fit back on if I change my mind. I just think the bike has a nicer-looking ar$e without them...

I'm tempted by SatNav as I have all the direction-finding ability of a blind donkey. Pre-empting the SatNav, I've fitted a Sena bluetooth set to the crash helmet, essential to receive voice instructions as it's obviously not wise to spend too much time looking down at the SatNav unit on the handlebars...

Sun's still shining and all's well with the world. Off to Spain tomorrow (not on the bike though). First time flying from Norwich International Airport, often described as a bus stop with a vending machine and a runway beside it. It had better be sunny in Spain or I may have to stay in Norfolk...

attachicon.gifao17.jpg

Oh it's sunny, and then some. Currently 38 degrees up here in the valleys.

See you soon.

Mike.

• Like 1

First time flying from Norwich International Airport, often described as a bus stop with a vending machine and a runway beside it.

I sometimes get the wee flying bus to Amsterdam from there: the flight’s so short that, due to the time zone difference, when you arrive back in Norwich it’s earlier than the Amsterdam departure time.

What I like best is looking at the departure screens. In the morning it’s something like:

Gas platform

Gas platform

ConocoPhillips

Gas platform

Amsterdam

Gas platform

Aberdeen

Doesn’t give you any sense of glamour, really. But at least it’s a small airport. Though the parking is some of the most expensive I e encountered anywhere.

Paul

• Like 1

The main thing I remember about Norwich Airport is the “airport development tax”, a little scam by which they arbitrarily charge you another £10 for no visible purpose...

It’s insanely irritating, and still being charged.

My tip is that it’s usually best not to pay extra for “fast track”. The airport is so tiny that usually you’ll be the only one going through “security”.

Paul

I sometimes get the wee flying bus to Amsterdam from there: the flight’s so short that, due to the time zone difference, when you arrive back in Norwich it’s earlier than the Amsterdam departure time.

What I like best is looking at the departure screens. In the morning it’s something like:

Gas platform

Gas platform

ConocoPhillips

Gas platform

Amsterdam

Gas platform

Aberdeen

Yeah - that made me chuckle... I found this image online and was wondering if it even had a runway or just a helipad...

post-17811-0-14072100-1532670781.jpg

However, looking at today's departures online, there is a rather more exotic feel, with departures to far-flung places such as Guernsey, Corfu and my 5pm departure to Alicante. Tips to avoid jetlag welcome.

I can't pay the "airport development fee" online in advance as my printer's on the blink so will queue for the machine next to the check-in desks. Apparently, you can't go through security without proof you've been ripped off paid it. I also think I can live without being mugged for the extra £3pp for "fast-track". World's busiest airport? Hardly. Tally-ho.