The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Which sports/tourer? Japanese/European motorcycles

Pete 75C

They do make bike specific helmets, my Super Bandit was a proper bike helmet, not a car one (No D rings/Hans attachments on the side and sculpted at the back for the neck). However even the bike versions are not UK road legal as the Snell rating is not recognised here. For racing, the application of an ACU Gold sticker soon sorts out any problems.

I must have an awkward head, as it is one of the most comfortable lids I have had. The only downside was it is also the noisiest ....

There has been discussion over the decades as to whether Snell standard is superior to British Standard or BS/EN. I'm a bit confused as to whether they are directly comparable, since the former is supposed to be only for motor racing.

I am aware that there is, or was, a lively little cottage industry on eBay producing fake ACU stickers, etc. that buyers would stick on Simpson helmets to try to pull a fast one on traffic officers who might stop them for not wearing approved headgear.

Whilst at a certain shop in Boston yesterday looking for denim trousers for my wife for the bike I did spot this...

That's an interesting find. A Petronas FP1. I thought they'd all been seized by the Malaysian govt for unpaid taxes etc? Interesting. There was one for sale in the US a while back for about 50,000USD. Probably about the same as the chiropractor's bill to fix your spine after riding one.

That's an interesting find. A Petronas FP1. I thought they'd all been seized by the Malaysian govt for unpaid taxes etc? ....

Presumably this is the same Malaysian Government which finds itself at the centre of an ongoing scandal as to the disappearance of about a billion US dollars in government funds, and the subsequent reappearance of a large proportion of it in the personal accounts of the current Malaysian Prime Minister?

• Like 1

Petrol Enfields have also been known to act as hosts for small Chinese Yanmar clones in amateur diesel conversions. There's quite a bit out there on the web about such silliness.

A decade or so ago ISTR Kawasaki were playing around with a diesel or dual fuel version of their KLR650 trailie, largely at the behest of the US military who wanted to standardise on a single fuel across all their vehicles. There was talk of there eventually being a civilian version but it doesn't seem to have eventuated.

As for the Norton Commando, I always thought it was a bit of a bodgy lash-up. Then I actually got to ride one (owned by MrsB when we first met) and altered my opinion to it being a viscerally exciting bodgy lash-up that was much better than it had any right to be. Mind you, that example had previously been owned by a Norton employee who appeared to have known both how to make it go and how to make it hold together. I don't know exactly what was in the motor but the pistons seemed rather lumpy, the valves were bigger than Mr Haynes said they should be and seemed to go up and down at intervals at odds with what the manual numbers said. It certainly had a single Mikuni on it so huge that you could have put a pitbull down the bellmouth and only lost a couple of horsepower off the top end :D. Goodness could it shift. Pity about the oil leaks and the almost total ineffectiveness of the front single disc brake :O.

Aaaaaand back on topic, what about an early Kwak GTR1000? closely enough related to the old Ninja to have some of the muscular feel, but with a user friendly riding position, buckets of torque and an easy to live with shaft drive.

• Like 2

Presumably this is the same Malaysian Government which finds itself at the centre of an ongoing scandal as to the disappearance of about a billion US dollars in government funds, and the subsequent reappearance of a large proportion of it in the personal accounts of the current Malaysian Prime Minister?

The very same. Supposedly the bikes have been seized and cannot be sold, but they're all still in the UK, 60+ of them. Maybe the facts are a little awry and things have changed. I can imagine one stuffed and mounted on a plinth just to look at, but as a road bike... nah.

I really do like sportsbike exotica (Bimota Tesi springs to mind), but even if affordable, I can imagine it being very hard to live with and end up causing you no end of grief. A bit like Jordan. The inflatable one, not the country...

Talk of Nortons reminds me that I like the new Dominator. Purists look away now. I don't, however, like the price.

post-17811-0-33276500-1498648332.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have drooled over the modern Nortons but agree not the prices.  I luckily missed out on the Norton Police bikes in as much they were in use but not with me on them.  I recall one PC trying to kick start his reluctant example and eventually the splines gave up on the kick start and drove his heel into the floor with the pain that one maybe would expect.  Pre electric starters of course although I had a kick start on my Honda 400 Dream you could never start the thing with it.

Any recommendations for bike jeans? I used to have a couple of pairs of Shoshonis for day-to-day use and they were strong and comfortable away from the bike. The brand seems to no longer exist. Googling turns up Hood jeans as an alternative but I've never heard of them. I've always had Sidi boots and an Arai lid, so will look no further than those brands as I'm familiar with them. In other news, my old Frank Thomas "Defender" leather jacket seems to have shrunk and I can't get it done up... My wife suggests that I *may* have put a bit of weight on over the last 12 years. Rubbish... I'm as slim and trim today as I've always wished I was.

Having had a pair fail due to stupid design I wouldn't buy Draggins again. My current pairs of Kevlar lined strides all are labelled Red Wolf Sliders. I don't know how universally available they might be. Mine came from a clearout sale from the local army surplus type shop and the last couple of pairs cost me the princely sum of AU$17 each. They're well designed and constructed from what appear to be good quality materials. Most importantly, from my point of view, is that the side seam design is unlikely to all burst open in one go, which is what happened with the Draggins. On the down side (for some) is  lack of built-in pockets for hip or knee armour. I'm not too bothered as I grew up without such things but others may be less sanguine.

Edit: Looks like I'm 10 years late and half a world irrelevant with that recommendation. Nonetheless, my disendorsement of Draggins still stands unless both their design and pricing have improved.

Edited by PatB

Edit: Looks like I'm 10 years late and half a world irrelevant with that recommendation. Nonetheless, my disendorsement of Draggins still stands unless both their design and pricing have improved.

Typing "Shoshoni" into Google led me to a discussion about jeans on a bike forum. That's where the Hood brand came to my attention. Draggins attracted about 50/50 good/bad reviews so I guess they're still far from perfect. Walking into a bike dealer and trying a pair on isn't really going to tell you what they're like to live with and how protective they may or may not be, so very happy to hear of "real-world" experiences with clothing/gloves/boots etc.

Edited by Pete 75C

Another issue I have with Draggins is that the pair of chinos I bought to replace the failed pair (yes, I'm a very slow learner, but I felt i needed a non-jeans pair for the work commute and only Draggins did anything suitable; besides the insurance was paying) were a really weird shape, with a huge, baggy backside and a very tight waist, making them decidedly uncomfortable. Then, while fidgeting around trying to haul them into some semblance of a useable position, half the waistband pulled away from the rest. I ended up chucking them to the back of the cupboard in disgust. That was 8 years ago and I assume they're still there.

• RMweb Gold

Looking for jeans?  Good luck with that then!  My wife tried on a few pair ranging in price from £80 to £175 none of which fitted very well at all.  They were either too baggy when stood up or too tight to get on and they were the same size.  Give the shop their due they were very helpful but even such help could not make my wife fit the jeans on offer.

I don't buy real expensive bike gear as I don't put the mileage in to warrant it.  I would not however buy the stuff on offer at a certain German supermarket as I think the quality may not be as good as the well known brands.  I saw some nice Goretex trousers the other day and I do need a new pair as mine are well scruffy but I draw the line at paying £659 for a pair of trousers!

Looking for jeans?  Good luck with that then!  My wife tried on a few pair ranging in price from £80 to £175 none of which fitted very well at all.  They were either too baggy when stood up or too tight to get on and they were the same size.  Give the shop their due they were very helpful but even such help could not make my wife fit the jeans on offer.

I don't buy real expensive bike gear as I don't put the mileage in to warrant it.  I would not however buy the stuff on offer at a certain German supermarket as I think the quality may not be as good as the well known brands.  I saw some nice Goretex trousers the other day and I do need a new pair as mine are well scruffy but I draw the line at paying £659 for a pair of trousers!

I've had a good look at the stuff in our local Aldi and, TBH, the design ad construction is at least as good as some considerably more expensive, branded stuff that I've seen. IMHO all protective clothing to be worn on a bike, whatever its source, should be examined for faulty materials, ddgy stitching, crappy design features (unprotected seam across the knee anyone? Seen that) etc. Because even the big brands aren't immune.

• RMweb Gold

I guess you make a good point Pat and they would have to be tested to a set level but I would prefer to deal with a motorbike shop where if there is a problem I can go back and make a fuss rather than a supermarket who won't have anything to replace it with maybe if it goes bad.  Bit like I wouldn't go to my Triumph dealers for some backed beans!

Certainly not a Brand snobbery thing for me just I would prefer to buy from somewhere that I can discuss the products with someone who 'should' have a good knowledge of what they sell.

I have to say that I always struggle to get anything be it gloves, helmet or suits to fit as well as I expected and I don't think I am an abnormal size or shape. I have had gloves that fit OK until you try and use the levers then they are too tight.  The larger ones are too big to start with.  Trousers that are baggy in most places when you are waking but too tight for comfort when you are on the bike.  Oh and don't get me started on helmets that are difficult to fit comfortably and then when you get one you find it is incredibly noisy on the bike of course a problem you can  not test before hand.

Good job it is such an exciting hobby otherwise it would be easy to think sod it!

Certainly not a Brand snobbery thing for me just I would prefer to buy from somewhere that I can discuss the products with someone who 'should' have a good knowledge of what they sell.

Where is this mythical shop of which you speak? ;)

I would prefer to buy from somewhere that I can discuss the products with someone who 'should' have a good knowledge of what they sell.

Where is this mythical shop of which you speak? ;)

There was a bike shop on the Kingston Rd, near Wimbledon Chase station. Alas, 20-odd years have erased the name of it from my memory. It was from there that I bought the only brand new bike I ever owned, a 1994 watercooled GSXR750. It really was true that nothing was too much trouble. You could try things on, spend hours browsing and the staff were truly knowledgeable and helpful. No hard sell either. I tried to find it on Google Streetview and it's obviously long gone. Shame. Coming from Wallington in South London, my two brothers swear by Lamba Motorcycles on Carshalton High St. I remember road-testing an RF900 demonstrator of theirs in a hideous shade of purple. Made it to Brighton and back including stopping in at Mum & Dad's house for a cuppa. They did say have it as long as you like...! Many a year since I've been in there, but they do still exist and I'll pay a visit when next in the area. They now appear to be a sole Yahama dealer which certainly wasn't the case when I was younger, but they're meant to carry a fine range of helmets, gloves, boots etc etc.

Edit: I certainly couldn't bring myself to shop online for helmet, gloves, leathers, boots etc. It's not just that they're expensive... I'd need to know that everything's a good fit and built well. The internet is terrific for comparison shopping, but I'll need to find an actual bike shop to make the purchase. Maybe that's an old-fashioned viewpoint but hey...

Edited by Pete 75C