Oleo buffers

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone can suggest a good place to buy brass type Oleo loco buffers for locos like 47s, 73s etc... not worried if they are sprung or not either

Thanks

Mark

Since when?

I was chatting to the owner at DEMU Showcase on June 2nd & he told me that they were still doing unsprung but sprung had become too expensive to produce.

Maybe a month ago, I think the lady from A1 is called Jane and she told me I had the last two packs of Loco buffers and that they wouldn't be doing any more.

Or try looking for Hornby spares for the 56.

I've found some Hornby spares hard to find latley, been looking for some 56 and 31 detail packs.

I like the Lanarkshire Models buffers.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

If you're working in N/2mm (you haven't indicated) then N Brass Lococ have a good range.

G

Sorry I should have said it's OO gauge....

Assuming that you're working in 4mm I can heartilly recommend Lanarkshire Model Supplies, both from quality of products and service.

Tim T

Thanks Tim, I have ordered a couple of packs to try them

• 4 months later...

Buffers can be a hit and miss subject, and for different locos they vary in size. Craftsman if you can get hold of them, did Oleo buffers for the 73, which looked ok. A1 models, now trading on Ebay, and by the looks of it are slowly reproducing some of their range also do buffers as well., but last time I looked there, they had sold out for now. Markits also do buffers as well, which I found were good for Class 56s, and 86s

HTH

NL

• RMweb Premium

Buffers can be a hit and miss subject, and for different locos they vary in size. Craftsman if you can get hold of them, did Oleo buffers for the 73, which looked ok. A1 models, now trading on Ebay, and by the looks of it are slowly reproducing some of their range also do buffers as well., but last time I looked there, they had sold out for now. Markits also do buffers as well, which I found were good for Class 56s, and 86s

HTH

NL

Surely buffers should always hit, never miss...?  :jester:

Seriously though, I actually had to look twice at cravensdmufan's pic, I thought for a second that was the prototype pic for comparison!  They do look a tad large to me, or maybe just a smidgen low?

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Those do look nice Porcy, so I have just ordered a set.

I think the problem with mine is that the shank surround looks too chunky and probably a bit too long as well.

So I'm looking forward to receiving these new ones from Lanarkshire.

CDF

• RMweb Gold

Surely buffers should always hit, never miss...? :jester:

Seriously though, I actually had to look twice at cravensdmufan's pic, I thought for a second that was the prototype pic for comparison! They do look a tad large to me, or maybe just a smidgen low?

To me, they look about the right diameter, but they seem to protrude a bit far from the front of the loco - the housing might be a touch long. However, that’s probably the best representation of buffer grease I’ve seen.

Edited: just noticed that Cravensdmufan had already commented. I should learn to read the whole thread.

Edited by Zero Gravitas

Really can't get better than a LMS oleo from Mr Franks.  IMHO.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_117.htm

attachicon.gifSLW-Class-24-073-EditSm.jpg

P

[The usual, unusual disclaimer: I know Mr Franks of LMS models quite well & think the sun shines out of his orifice.]

Unfortunately what Porcy didn't say is that he drilled the buffer and fitted a sprung head, the buffers are solid cast but when painted they will look the same but not sprung.

I will slap Porcy around the chops with a wet kipper the next time I see him.

Dave Franks.