Peco static grass applicator

I was wondering if anyone had bought one of these. I've not found a review of one anywhere as yet.

What is your experience of it? Any good? As good as more expensive applicators?

Len

As good as more expensive applicators?

From what I have seen, no. They don't seem to have the power to give good coverage if you have a lot to do. To compensate for that the grille seems quite large which allows more fibres to fall through without sufficient charge.

I've had years of reliable service from a Green-Scene Flockit.

You probably haven't seen any reviews because Peco don't send anything out for review to other mags.

• RMweb Gold

I've tried one at a show and found it excellent to use, My friend purchased one and is in the process of using it and the results are really good. If I can't pinch it off him I'll certainly be buying one.

Bit of a plug for Green Scene in general, I've had loads of stuff off them (5kg of ballast!) and been good service and product 

• RMweb Gold

From what I have seen, no. They don't seem to have the power to give good coverage if you have a lot to do. To compensate for that the grille seems quite large which allows more fibres to fall through without sufficient charge.

I have done a comparison between several of these devices for use in demonstrations and workshops. I would not recommend the one marketed by Peco unless you can find a finer mesh grille for it than the one supplied, as Andy Y suggests, especially if you have large areas (greater than 12" x 12") to cover. It does not produce sufficient oomph (sorry to be technical) to make longer fibres (more than 4mm) stand up.

Other people may well be satisfied with this. I'm not.

You can also run the Green Scenes Flockit from a 12v wall wart, which boosts its performance a bit more (without risk to the electronics).

I actually run mine from 15v which is even better, but I can't recommend that with a clear conscience!

• Like 1

The fly swatters work in exactly the same way, but with less range from the surface, and cannot handle large areas as fast. They do leave the flock as upright as more powerful units, but you must keep the quantity applied to what the unit works best at, smaller amounts.

I tried the Peco unit , it works fine, but it does, like other units deliver too much in one go, and benefits from going a bit slower.

Basically it's the size of the grass areas that makes a difference, and the fact you are only going o use it a few times before completion of the scenery, so do you lay out a lot extra just to speed the work?

For small details and tufts a Noch bottle works just as well, as does a plastic washing up bottle with a silicone pipe on the nozzle. But the bottle would be slow if your covering scale acres.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Is there a good youtube (or other free website) tutorial on using one of these generic devices, not specifically the PECO one? Not got one yet but thinking I will get one before I next do some scenery.

Edited by john new

Is there a good youtube (or other free website) tutorial on using one of these generic devices, not specifically the PECO one? Not got one yet but thinking I will get one before I next do some scenery.

Lots on you tube, too many to list, try Static grass as search term.

Stephen

• Like 1

From what I have seen, no. 

I wondered what I might be doing wrong when my experiments did not produce the desired results. My deflated confidence is now explained, and I can move on knowing that the problem was not necessarily of my own making. Thank you for your opinion, Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers. I was hoping someone could recommend a good one so as to cut through the dross I expect is also on there. When I search I will see if I recognise any of the names before watching. 

Have recently been looking at US railroading stuff and there is some b****y awful dross around. Reason, bought some n-gauge stock to convert and use for another project (miniature railway in 09) but they've grown on me as they are so thinking of doing a small US based layout with them. Was watching to get background on US railroading, in particular to avoid making the US equivalent of the UK howler beginners make here such as putting a GWR pannier on air-braked Mk 3s. A couple of their tourist railroads look like they offer a good basis although I think a couple of my diesels are arguably too modern; will worry about that later after the track is down as can probably trade if necessary.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

I have done a comparison between several of these devices for use in demonstrations and workshops. I would not recommend the one marketed by Peco unless you can find a finer mesh grille for it than the one supplied, as Andy Y suggests, especially if you have large areas (greater than 12" x 12") to cover. It does not produce sufficient oomph (sorry to be technical) to make longer fibres (more than 4mm) stand up.

Other people may well be satisfied with this. I'm not.

Have you written that experience/results up anywhere, website, blog post or in a thread on here?

Edited by john new

I believe the Peco product to be a rebadged WWS applicator.

I've owned the WWS one for a couple of years and found it to be very satisfactory. No affiliation other than a satisfied owner of one.

That said I feel it would benefit from a smaller gauze add on but easy enough to adapt if needed.

A couple of pointers, the distance above the surface should be as close as possible.plus the length of flock, and make utterly sure the earth is connected to a nail or screw into the wet area. This maximises the static field. Do not attach to the rails etc., it lowers the field strength too much.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

In France, Loco Revue (think BRM or Railway Modeller in French - neither a really fair comparison but the best we have) have just done a review of static grass applicators.

The Peco model (bear in mind that Peco and Loco revue have a long standing relationship but I suspect no bias) came out as best in class in the cheaper (aka lower voltage) models.  The articles concluded that the voltage would be the controlling value for absolute worth, so 15kV or 30kV models should be better - but they are also generally very much more expensive.

You will get an improvement with voltage on coverage, a larger active area with the high volt;age ones, but the results should be the same with only the operating distance increased along with spread on Peco types.

Try to keep the mounts of flock low, do not try for a full deep grass effect at first, go in gently, and then change shade and re-wet with misting spray and continue the slow build up. It is very easy to go over the top and lose the realism that flock gives, at it's best it is a subtle process, and as usual needs a bit of practice to get the best effects.

For instance on embankments go for a medium to long flock, medium in general, longer near edges, but then change to spot effects of straw colours, that are best laid in pinches or by a squeezy bottle. The straw is then laid down with a spatula tip in layers, as if the dry straw has been washed down by rain into clumps and layers, gathering and laying in strata's along the embankment and gathering in the newer grass around bushes. Try not to forget there is soil under the grass and it will show in places, so do not try to cover everything.

Patches of weeds can be done with ground tea leaves, they will go in the puffer bottles or a course grid on the static machine.

My favourite way is a brass tube, about 3mm internal and 4 inch long, connected to the squeezy bottle via a silicone pipe. Attach the zapper unit to the pipe, the earth to the glue area, and each puff will produce perfect tuffs or a general spray. It can handle any flock or dried plant material that fits the tube, along with sawdust or ground hair.

Very good for the joint between the flat ground and building edges, where the Peco or others may put down far too much. But the Peco type will beat the lot if it is a large area to do.

Also for special jobs like a tube on a bottle, you can connect up the Peco grid to the tube etc, it will provide the power as usual.

Stephen

• Like 2

post-6750-0-31477400-1495516749.jpg

This shows the idea, the brass tube can be insulted with heatshrink after soldering the power lead to it.

This unit will work with ANY applicator, just connect the earth as usual, and put a clip on the lead to the grid on the applicator. The flock will straighten up any way going through the tube, but the static charge will keep it upright. The amount is up to you, just squeeze gently or give a bigger puff for coverage.

The effect is not so even as the applicator grid, but it is the even finish that is not what's needed. Far more delicate and directional.

It is perfect for adding tea leaves to trees as leaves, spray with glue and add with gentle puffs till you get the effect. Once dry, give a coat of acrylic matt colour via an airbrush.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Have you written that experience/results up anywhere, website, blog post or in a thread on here?

No John, I haven't done that. The comparison was done in preparation for a Pendon Museum workshop on scenic detailing. The competitors were a Noch puffer bottle, a home-made fly-swat, a Noch Grasmaster 2, a Green Scenes Flock-it, a Peco PSG-1 and an RTS Greenkeeper.

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, there are many, but you could try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04uk5mpN46c#t=13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0mdfLRQVE#t=0 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35pniUEbuE#t=0

• RMweb Gold

Will look those up. Found several (some good and some badly narrated); the Kathy Millatt* series of scenic tips seemed worthwhile and l now have a clear understanding of what the process does and how it works. Not tried them yet but although the films viewed vary in opinion on the WWS/PECO version the NOCH seemed to get better praise overall. I think I will wait until I can afford the more expensive one, grid mesh size seems to be a regularly mentioned issue and the extra uumph on the NOCH makes sense to me as desirable - if there is more power, then more static in the fibre, bigger effect. 

*ignore the mini Kathies sections at the end though.

Edited by john new

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

No John, I haven't done that. The comparison was done in preparation for a Pendon Museum workshop on scenic detailing. The competitors were a Noch puffer bottle, a home-made fly-swat, a Noch Grasmaster 2, a Green Scenes Flock-it, a Peco PSG-1 and an RTS Greenkeeper.

What were your conclusions, please? 

Or does anyone else have any thoughts on the best applicator? What do the Gravetts use? 

• RMweb Gold

You can also run the Green Scenes Flockit from a 12v wall wart, which boosts its performance a bit more (without risk to the electronics).

I actually run mine from 15v which is even better, but I can't recommend that with a clear conscience!

We have reached then model railway equivalent of PC's overclocking. I expect soon to see a post where someone has stuck grass to their ceilings using 380 volt three phase voltage supplies and thick rubber gloves.

Edited by Vistisen