Heljan class 52 speaker option

Piemanlarger

I have fitted a Swd class 52 sound chip to a Heljan western.

I fitted one bass reflex spaeker in the tank, drilled out a series of holes as i do for my 37 for the sound to bounce off the track and then fitted the supplied round 23ml speaker above the bogie. All speakers sealed, synced, fitted / glued but not impressed with the quality of the sound!

Is the base reflex the wrong choice for a western?

What speaker set ups do you have?

• RMweb Gold

got a single 20x40 speaker with no housing blacktak'd to the roof of my western pointing downwards

thats bryan's prefered method as the body is a solid piece of plastic (ie no mesh grilles) so it acts as a chamber

Mine, with Howes' sounds, has two speakers wired in parallel; one standard 23mm round one at one end and a 20 x 40 mm rectangular (oval?) one at the other. Each is mounted over the bogie openings, pointing downwards. The sound chambers are sealed up wth Blu-Tac or "black-tac". I used an off-cut of a cocktail stick under the rectangular speaker, across the Heljan chassis block edges, to keep it clear of the bogie pivot. I am very happy with the sound quality and volume from this set up - volume is turned down to around 25 or 30 (from memory) out of a possible 64 on the LokSound decoder.

Thanks both.

Think i might have found half the problem in that i was listening to the loco on a rolling road, so a gap of 30mm or so between tank and track. This was due to running in and cleaning the black non pick up Heljan wheels!

Once running ok i put it on the layout and it sounded better with the sound "bouncing" up from the track ala class 37. I might still take the Bass refleax out and try a 20 x 40, i dont think this is a project suited to bass??

I'm inclined to agree with you. I tried a bass reflex speaker in mine and ended up taking it out again for re-use elsewhere. It just didn't make any difference to my ears. I found the same thing with my Hornby class 50 with Howes' sound. Yet there are other locos that definitely benefit from fitting bass reflex or bass enhanced speakers.

Still, it is always  down to personal preferences and taste in the end. Yours may well be different to mine.   :D

Archived