Halts in all their glory

The Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury line boasted a halt at New Hadley between Oakengates and Wellington.

new_hadley_halt_[2]_25.may_1975.aey.jpg which survived until mid 1980s.

Little of note except in late 1982, the Guard off a down all stations to Shrewsbury wanted to know how much to charge for a single for a goat which had been put in his care at New Hadley and was being met at Wellington. 

As the conveyance of livestock had finished, the Booking Clerk suggested issuing a Child's ticket 'cos it was a kid ! :blum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just trying to find a picture of another Halt on the Wellington- Craven Arms line. It struck me as being in splendid isolation with a row of miners cottages across the fields. Would you believe that there's now a housing estate named after it?? Newdale Halt? Still haven't found any piccies of the Halt, just b****** new houses by the estate agents. Sic transit and all that.

• RMweb Premium

To make up for my disappointment about Newdale Halt, here's the next stop along the line, Lawley Bank. Actually this one is the smallest station on the line, not a Halt at all. My sisters big pal in the guides, Stella, had charge of it at one time, as it was staffed and she could do high tech jobs like ticket issuing, besides working the gates as I described at Doseley Halt. You'll see the platform is of brick and there's doors and a chimney fitted to the building, although this view is after closure and it looks somewhat more rundown than before (just). No points, sidings, or crossing loop. Still you get an idea of how small a station is allowed to be before it's a Halt. Since the Horsehay Trust has made it their northern terminus it's hit the big time.

post-26540-0-17638500-1495575151.jpg

• Like 10

A very nice little station.

It was Stella, issuing tickets, that made it a station, not a halt, I'm pretty sure. If they'd dispensed with her services, and closed the 'booking office', it would have been a halt.

Kevin

• Like 3

A very nice little station.

It was Stella, issuing tickets, that made it a station, not a halt, I'm pretty sure. If they'd dispensed with her services, and closed the 'booking office', it would have been a halt.

Kevin

Indeed, Rollright Halt, mentioned before, had a goods loop siding as well as a loading bank and tiny iron goods shed, but no staff.

Interestingly, considering the naming of the housing estate after Newdale halt, at Rollright Halt the nearby farm which used to be called Limekiln is now known as Halt Farm!

• Like 1

Today I visited a halt that wasn't there, in the form of the former Wood Siding, on the Brill Tramway.

Pictures show where it isn't, and hasn't been for a long time.

The extreme peacefulness of the area probably explains why the tramway closed.

More information here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_Siding_railway_station

Kevin

post-26817-0-67026200-1495634175_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-09640600-1495634250_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-89171300-1495634342_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-42558300-1495634365_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-24906300-1495655641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7

Not quite in it's glory anymore but this halt is featured in The Avengers - Noon Doomsday episode. The nameboard says Langs Halt, although I would presume that is just a bit of set dressing and there is also an LMS sign regarding trespassing on the line. Any clues to it's real identity?

I know a lot of these Avengers programes were filmed in the north London/Home Counties areas so it could well be on LMS territory.

post-5014-0-39795300-1495997422.jpg

post-5014-0-03402900-1495997451.jpg

post-5014-0-99976800-1495997514.jpg

post-5014-0-98610100-1495997520.jpg

post-5014-0-12252500-1495997527.jpg

post-5014-0-41297500-1495997537.jpg

post-5014-0-75618200-1495997543.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Today I visited a halt that wasn't there, in the form of the former Wood Siding, on the Brill Tramway.

I believe there is a percentage of RMwebbers who believe all tramways are Brill!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"Langs Halt" looks as if it's one half of a station, the larger half with the station building being on the opposite side. Try one of the stops along the Bletchley Bedford line before the bus shelter era?

• RMweb Gold

According to Wikipedia :

'Prior to tracklifting, an episode of The Avengers was filmed at the station in October 1968.[14] The episode was called 'Noon Doomsday' and the station was renamed 'Langs Halt' for the filming.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanbridgeford_railway_station

All the best,

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hailes Abbey on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Steam Railway.

Adrian

That's the one, brand new, name board sheeted over as it is yet to be opened.

Shot taken today from the verandah of a passing TOAD.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury line boasted a halt at New Hadley between Oakengates and Wellington.

_25.may_1975.aey.jpg]new_hadley_halt_[2]_25.may_1975.aey.jpg which survived until mid 1980s.

Little of note except in late 1982, the Guard off a down all stations to Shrewsbury wanted to know how much to charge for a single for a goat which had been put in his care at New Hadley and was being met at Wellington. 

As the conveyance of livestock had finished, the Booking Clerk suggested issuing a Child's ticket 'cos it was a kid ! :blum:

thank you SOOOO much for the info about new hadley halt, ive signed that route for 12 years and no one, and i mean no one has been able to explain what the 2 random lamposts in the middle of nowhere were there for, we had a theory it was for a crossover or something like that but a quick google search shows they were for the foot crossing between the stagered platforms, i'll be honest i didnt even know there used to be a station there

mystery solved, link to 'disused stations' website page for the halt sent to all of my drivers who also puzzled over the lamposts!

• Like 1

Here's another one;

attachicon.gifIMG_2901.JPG

Anyone know where this one is?

Dave

Fantastic, a lot of work has been done since I last visited in April.  With 1450 running at weekends, will there be a few photographers trying to recreate the famous photograph?  Is 1450 facing the right way?

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic, a lot of work has been done since I last visited in April.  With 1450 running at weekends, will there be a few photographers trying to recreate the famous photograph?  Is 1450 facing the right way?

1450 is facing Cheltenham, so auto is leading towards Toddington.

post-29514-0-35224200-1496267527_thumb.jpg

Arriving into Toddington from Buckland during a Bank Holiday downpour.

Dave

Edited by Davexoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

new_hadley_halt_[2]_25.may_1975.aey.jpg which survived until mid 1980s.

A few years ago, on a narrow gauge train in Bulgaria, we stopped at a small station where there was a heated discussion between a would-be passenger and the guard.

My Bulgarian wasn't quite up to following the conversation as it consisted of more than the words for please, thank you and train, but the guard seemed to be refusing to let a sick goat on board and we left it (and its accompanying human) on the platform.

Maybe they had better luck on the next train.

• Like 2

Remains of Gilli Felen Halt on the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny taken in 2010.  Opened by the LMS in September 1933 and closed by BR January 1958.  Shelters were still useful for getting out of the rain over 50 years after they last saw a passenger. The Up line (left) platform was still present under the vegetation, but most of the Down platform was buried in waste.

IMG_4010.jpg.d4450f866007e9fa4333905e6e15dbea.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 7