The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

On 02/03/2020 at 10:46, PhilJ W said:

The FBB was made from 1922 to 1930. It was a normal control chassis but some may have been converted to forward control. The solid tyres and lack of front wheel brakes would have meant withdrawal by 1932 at the latest.

Phil - according to this Guy Motors history the FBB was a forward cab version of the BB introduced in 1926, so are you referring to a modified BB?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

Phil - according to this Guy Motors history the FBB was a forward cab version of the BB introduced in 1926, so are you referring to a modified BB?

I have a book with a pic of a bonneted Guy bus described as an FBB, obviously an error then. The bus in the photograph posted here is forward control and therefore an FBB.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Also a leader in technology:

88. JDT 438N: SYPTE

Bear in mind this was 1975.....

And it was based on 'caring for the people' rather than ticking a political box :)

That reminded me of one of our 1997 New Flyers:

1219624040_Bus9735-01.jpg.1f5fe575c397bf870f261e5d5a22b58b.jpg

I have no idea as to why the yellow band is missing on the rear quarter but 9735 is parked on the ready line.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

On 01/03/2020 at 21:35, Joseph_Pestell said:

Driving up the A49 last Tuesday on my way to Wellington, I spotted an interesting looking bus in the garden of a former level crossing cottage. Difficult to stop there (because of the level crossing) but I think it is a Midland Red type. The thing that I could see was a Foden badge, not a chassis/engine manufacturer that I associate with buses.

I am going to Shrewsbury again this Tuesday so will try to stop and get a pic.

Ah yes, it's on the left as you come up from Ludlow towards Craven Arms at the crossing at Onibury.  I see it quite often, and it does appear to be very slowly deteriorating as the years go on.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

You get a decent shot of it on Google street view, and the Scammell lorry as well.

Looks to be ex Warrington, probably OED217, the last PVD6 built.

I had a look on street view and it appears to be in good condition.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 10:37, PhilJ W said:

It is an Austin K8. It was built in 1950 for Armstrong-Whitworth (later Hawker-Siddeley) for their aircraft factory at Baginton for transfering staff airside, hence the offside door. The body type is FC18F builder unknown. It was sold on to Aston's of Coventry in the 1960's.

That's got an awful lot of rear rubber for a vehicle that size....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

That's got an awful lot of rear rubber for a vehicle that size....

Its also quite wide for a K8. Perhaps with the K8's narrow track it couldn't pass the tilt test?

On 05/03/2020 at 15:56, 45156 said:

Ah yes, it's on the left as you come up from Ludlow towards Craven Arms at the crossing at Onibury.  I see it quite often, and it does appear to be very slowly deteriorating as the years go on.

Out of curiosity I followed these directions and found the little, pre-fab signal cabin(?) by the crossing, which, if not exactly attractive, particularly in its rather shabby state, would be a relatively easy to build and distinctive model.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 5 March 2020 at 08:44, Busmansholiday said:

You get a decent shot of it on Google street view, and the Scammell lorry as well.

Looks to be ex Warrington, probably OED217, the last PVD6 built.

Its not 217, this is the other one. 217 I helped with mot prep when it was bought from the Museum by a new bus company and first  re-entered service at King Alfred running day many years ago.

The one at onibury is actually restored as I saw it and spoke to the owner before its restoration commenced.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

BUS 5344_n.jpg

And they say kids these days are badly behaved on the school bus???... look how much damage the kids in the 50s did! Should polish out ready for September...

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 37114 said:

And they say kids these days are badly behaved on the school bus???... look how much damage the kids in the 50s did! Should polish out ready for September...

I remember having a holiday in a bus in a similar state at Capel Sante Leonardos in the early 60's!

Mike.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 37114 said:

Wouldn't be allowed now anyway - the kids would have to be wrapped in cotton wool and the bus fenced off so they could only look at it. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 7