The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

Some more buses from the Manchester area starting with an SHMD Joint Board Daimler COG6 with Northern Counties body resplendent in the pre-war streamline livery. This livery was abandoned in the early 1940's, nevertheless the proud Board repainted its wartime Daimler's from wartime grey to dark green & cream livery despite the conflict.  These COG6's were always my favorites and I was pleased to find a model is to be produced in 4mm scale albeit on AEC or Leyland chassis....

post-6680-0-19625900-1532265569.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

Gosh! What an amazing image of a SHMD streamliner bound for Glossop in Lower Moseley St bus station.

And did they actually employ old ladies in black foldettas as Clippies?

When I knew the SHMD joint board in the late 1940s/early 1950s, it had lost all that panache, They presented as dingy dark green rather humble vehicles alongside the ritzy Ribble reverse liveried full fronted Leyland/Burlinghams that left from the far side stands of LMS to remote places like Clitheroe.

[Those Ribbles were my first attempt at cardboard 4mm scale bus modelling. The outcome looked so disappointingly freelance that I just designed my own fleet additions after that - a 10 year old D.M.Sinclair]

dh

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for no pics but I visited the Essex bus rally today. I took my friend with his young son who both enjoyed themselves, the lad enjoyed riding on an open topper, something he had never done before.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No, potted history as follows:

New to Western SMT https://www.flickr.com/photos/131378548@N04/23610077393/

Then Highland Omnibus https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rsd732j&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=mivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXyNzn1bXcAhVICsAKHd2nBQEQ_AUIEigC&biw=960&bih=600#imgrc=6cdF0U0_tW1VRM:

Then Meredith, Malpas (Shropshire) (I have a pic in my personal collection)

Then Shearings https://www.flickr.com/photos/131378548@N04/20498581990/in/album-72157657032063248/

Then Timeline Travel https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4415267316_5ca91f167e_b.jpg

Then Preservation by me https://www.flickr.com/photos/125283981@N03/15281602017/in/photolist-cosiM9-8RBCzS-her6cv-BYkPrT-hePQqT-jyfpki-hjDkQK-jyiy5s-hfBLz5-9uMerd-heseSr-fZJu1V-JTrMiZ-8VNfhi-iNmfWs-9TWeLk-dVs4D2-bD4uuV-hgqZzt-8W2Kpa-4SkgyZ-hhiVB5-hePRH2-aDk5Af-9uQJCv-cZUhPb-4j55UQ-5UmnXq-9uhsrf-hePQs6-aCKfju-8BZqZH-a1ovu9-phocSR-HfjonY-rRrhhT-UMJ831-uXu5wX-VVV56Z-CpGkVw-xe17i1-LuTGzS-qtjuuU-vaNhFR-M6aYPA-yqqxJq-hePW1k-54Xhcx-heRqzR-6iskJu

Finally fully restored (by me as well) https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3583/3479303564_417658c807.jpghttps://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/382450120394_/Bus-Coach-Preservation-Magazine-–-July-2005.jpg

Nice bus . It takes a lot to beat the Western SMT red and cream . Proper colours for a bus instead of theses hideous turquoise or purple and pink things . Many’s a time I’ve been on a leopard down to Paisley Gilmour St . BSJ906T was the regular most of the time, delivered brand new to Paisley in 79 I think . These Volvo Ailsas and of course a Fleetlines with D type body . My favourite buses

• Like 2

I wonder if in bus terms this livery would be regarded as a 'semi' (semi streamlined)... :biggrin_mini2:   This batch of eight AEC Regent I's were delivered to Bury Corporation in 1933 and originally had front doorway and staircase in addition to the conventional rear platform and stairs. The front staircase was to the left of the driver over the bonnet!  The upper deck had the usual Vee-fronted body style, but these bodies are believed to be unique in not having an overhanging roof. Green and cream was adopted after the war and these buses were rebuilt, deleting the front staircase, in 1945. They remained in service until around 1950....

Image created by Larry Goddard. Copyright.

post-6680-0-10578400-1532371598.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

Interesting but almost impossible to value, its only worth what someone’s willing to pay. In good order, and looks decent enough from the pics, £10k doesn’t seem out of order, it’s probably worth the better part of that in parts, many of which will be difficult if not impossible to find, but of course you have to find someone who’s in desperate need of a set of Alexander tubular seats, a Leyland 0680 engine or 4 speed crash gearbox. An example was an immaculate Plaxton bodied AEC Reliance 760 which changed hands for over double that amount a few years back at a time when values were much lower. Nobody ever thought it was worth it, but the buyer wanted it and the sellers resolve broke when it hit a certain level.

• Like 1

Something a little more modern(!) again from Bury, Lancs.... A Leyland TD5 with the well-known pre-war Northern Counties body.  I seem to remember the NC bodies supplied to SHMD has moquette on the ceiling downstairs.

Copyright Larry Goddard

post-6680-0-50669300-1532423431.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

Hong Kong to Aberdeen. That's a long route! :derisive:

I actually selected that particular bus to photograph because of the Aberdeen destination.  I had a two day stopover in Hong Kong on the way back after spending five months in the North East of Scotland.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I never managed to photograph any of the numerous Australian tour coaches which entertaingly display the destination “Lost”. Neither did I ever capture one of the service buses which connected some of Melbourne’s northern extremities to the tram terminus at Bundoora. Rather than tell people where they were going the destination - on a bus - simply read “Tram”.

Closer to home I did once manage to grab a shot in Maidstone back in the days when Corporation / Borough Council hardware displayed no route numbers but the destination “Loose” always amused me.

I also had to go back into the records having seen Nidge’s Routemaster on a 73 short to Kensington Palace Gate. Many of us who know London buses will associate the 73 with being Victoria - Stoke Newington (and Tottenham “Swan” on garage workings) and not passing through Kensington at all but the diversion to Victoria was relatively recent. Prior to then the 73 had indeed passed KPG on its way to the weekday terminus at Hammersmith or on Sundays when it ran through to distant Hounslow. As the rear “via” blind concludes with East Sheen Richmond one assumes this was a Sunday as the weekday version would not have shown those, nor indeed Hammersmith Broadway as a via point since the adjacent Butterwick Bus Station was the terminus.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I never managed to photograph any of the numerous Australian tour coaches which entertaingly display the destination “Lost”. Neither did I ever capture one of the service buses which connected some of Melbourne’s northern extremities to the tram terminus at Bundoora. Rather than tell people where they were going the destination - on a bus - simply read “Tram”.

Closer to home I did once manage to grab a shot in Maidstone back in the days when Corporation / Borough Council hardware displayed no route numbers but the destination “Loose” always amused me.

I also had to go back into the records having seen Nidge’s Routemaster on a 73 short to Kensington Palace Gate. Many of us who know London buses will associate the 73 with being Victoria - Stoke Newington (and Tottenham “Swan” on garage workings) and not passing through Kensington at all but the diversion to Victoria was relatively recent. Prior to then the 73 had indeed passed KPG on its way to the weekday terminus at Hammersmith or on Sundays when it ran through to distant Hounslow. As the rear “via” blind concludes with East Sheen Richmond one assumes this was a Sunday as the weekday version would not have shown those, nor indeed Hammersmith Broadway as a via point since the adjacent Butterwick Bus Station was the terminus.

Loose, home of the Loose Womens Institute. Another 'famous' bus destination was Ugley (Essex) but as far as I am aware there never was an Ugley Womens Institute.

• Like 2

Loose, home of the Loose Womens Institute. Another 'famous' bus destination was Ugley (Essex) but as far as I am aware there never was an Ugley Womens Institute.

There was an Ugley copper....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

. Another 'famous' bus destination was Ugley (Essex)

Did buses ever terminate at Ugley?  It was, and is, an intermediate point on the Bishop's Stortford - Saffron Walden route but those timetables in my possession show no terminating journeys.  Perhaps as apocryphal as the Ugley Women's Institute?

There was. however, another photo-opportunity the the nearby village of Matching Green where one or two trips on the infrequent Harlow - Ongar route 47 terminated.  Harlow - Ongar via Epping was the preserve of London Transport / Country green RTs on the 339 but this more rural route was operated by Eastern National whose vehicles wore ...... a non-matching shade of green!

• Like 3

There was. however, another photo-opportunity the the nearby village of Matching Green where one or two trips on the infrequent Harlow - Ongar route 47 terminated.  Harlow - Ongar via Epping was the preserve of London Transport / Country green RTs on the 339 but this more rural route was operated by Eastern National whose vehicles wore ...... a non-matching shade of green!

Perhaps they had Matching Tye s instead.... :jester:

Fer them as likes stuff oop north, here's a Stockport Corporation TD4c, the 'c' standing for torque convertor, which in later years was removed. These buses carried the new Colin Bailey designed 5-bay body. He had been recruited to sort out the problems Leyland had been experiencing following the changeover from wooden-framed bodywork to metal of which the 6-bay body had been the first example. These bodies had a more upright rear dome than later bodies. Pictured crossing Mersey Square, Stockport in the early 1950's. I created these colour images originally for use in 'Classic Bus' some 15 years years ago. They were overseen by Mike Ayres who disputed the colour of the wings, which he considered should be brown. No preserved Stockport buses carry brown wings....

post-6680-0-25814100-1532508969.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

Very familiar territory that for those of us that lived a bit bit further down the A6. On Saturdays the NWRCC route 27 ran every 15 mins from Buxton down to Stockport.

The only brown I recall from the 1940s was on the Stockport trams and on their 1930s centre entrance single deck Leylands.

Interesting detail about the evolution of that Leyland metal framed body. So was the rear dome of JA 7578 like the glimpse of the corner of the other Leyland on the right? Or with the earlier single window to the emergency exit?

dh

• Like 1

Very familiar territory that for those of us that lived a bit bit further down the A6. On Saturdays the NWRCC route 27 ran every 15 mins from Buxton down to Stockport.

The only brown I recall from the 1940s was on the Stockport trams and on their 1930s centre entrance single deck Leylands.

Interesting detail about the evolution of that Leyland metal framed body. So was the rear dome of JA 7578 like the glimpse of the corner of the other Leyland on the right? Or with the earlier single window to the emergency exit?

dh

Upper deck rear emergency windows on Leyland bodies are an interesting subject. The Leyland 6- bay design for Stockport had a single wide window. A narrower window was optional, as was a wide window with a bar down the middle.The 5-bay body aupplied to Stockport had a less wide window along the lines of post-war Crossley bodies. The later rounded rear dome Leyland body as supplied to Stockport had a split wide window. Leyland drawings show the narrower single window, but obviously, buyers were given choices. 

Edited by coachmann

My (pretend) Aunty Freda, larger than life in every sense, she moved from Wendons Ambo to live with us in the early days of WW II when husbands had been called up.

To the end of her days she claimed to have been an active member of Ugley W I 

I never had a reason to doubt her.

AF also came with a classy provenance: born at Buntingford, Herts,1914,  daughter of GER driver Linsell,

Mr Linsell ended up at Stratford so I was able to ride his N6 (and Ongar F5) and often helped him with his allotment at Epping. A lovely real old countryman (despite living latterly in Leytonstone), he shewed me how to snare rabbits; skin and roast them over a fire in the hedgerow.

dh

• Like 5