The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

Interesting that both of the Merlins had the earlier low driving position that the drivers so disliked. I can remember when Rockhampton City Council (in Queensland) got their first two AEC Swifts that all the drivers commented unfavourably on sitting "down among the cars". 

Probably a Golden Rover if you used the Green Line coaches to and from Central London.  Nice little collection there.  The 336A went around some very rural lanes indeed into highly unlikely territory where even in 1972 everyone seemed to own two cars and several horses.  If I remember correctly there were two GSs on the final run as Garston had expected a modest turn-out of last-riders and enthusiasts.  Not only for the last 336A but the last GS in service.  And after the 336A at least one is recorded as having run an impromptu 309A back to Garston Garage with passengers aboard.  

Thanks for the clarification re the Golden Rover.

Correct re the 309A - we were on it  :)

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 3

Interesting that both of the Merlins had the earlier low driving position that the drivers so disliked. I can remember when Rockhampton City Council (in Queensland) got their first two AEC Swifts that all the drivers commented unfavourably on sitting "down among the cars".

The Bedford 'VAL' was a bit like that too, even the dash instrument panel looked like it came out of a contemporary Vauxhall car. Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

The Bedford 'VAL' was a bit like that too, even the dash instrument panel looked like it came out of a contemporary Vauxhall car.

The VALs low driving position was largely down to the low frame height from its 16" wheels, it sat about 6" lower than conventional coach chassis. It should have made a very good service bus but sold in only penny numbers for that.

The trend in the 80s for low driver coaches was largely driven by the desire to offer passengers a better forward view. It spawned some dreadfully cramped cab areas though, a trait which passed on to the overdeck and double deck designs, none of which will ever figure in drivers favourites lists.

Another gratuitous spot from the small screen... from the ITC 'Strange Report', shot in 1968 in Hampstead, North London...

attachicon.gifITC #100.jpg

Lovely atmospheric shot of an RT in typical 60s condition.

The 159 is notable not only as one of London's longest lived routes, its also regarded as the typical example of a London bus route. The current Marble Arch to Streatham route is simulated on the test track for the purpose of testing of all new models introduced into London to validate their environmental credentials (commonly known as the 159 test). The 159 also brought the curtain down on Routemaster operation on Dec 9th 2005.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC the 159 hada Sunday-only variant the 59 which reached Old Coulsdon deep in leafy territory and making it London's longest daytime bus route. One or two of the "nighters" may have been longer such as the epic N98 Victoria - Romford

The 159 was the last full route worked by Routemasters though "heritage" short workings on the 9 and 15 were retained. The latter still runs today, every 15 minutes (subject to traffic) between Tower Hill and Trafalgar Square requiring six RMs of which some are now looking pretty second-hand rather than being kept in good order. Oystet / contactless fares apply with the conductor using a mobile card reader. Services are curtailed or suspended in the event of heavy traffic and sometimes only run as far as Aldwych. Otherwise you can still hop on a Routemaster between around 10.00 and 18.00 every day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was in Glasgow today. There were two vintage buses on display in Buchanan Street reminding people it's the GVVT weekend on 6th and 7th October. They run a service from Glasgow centre and I think the Riverside(transport) Museum to the garage in Bridgeton. I've been a few times. Well worth a visit . Nice to see them out promoting the event.

Random but very varied.  Bodywork by (at least) Plaxton, Harrington, Eastern Coach Works and Duple.  Greasy bits by Bristol and probably Leyland.

No Duples among that selection but a very eclectic mix. I'd say the pic was around 1979, the ex Royal Blue RE passed out of the National fleet in about 1977/ 8, it could possibly be later. By that time, the Harringtons and Plaxton Panoramas were becoming scarce.

Chassis wise, Gwiwer is correct with Bristol and Leyland for the Harrington and ECW, The Plaxton to the left is a Bedford J2 and Id guess the one to the right is a Bedford VAM.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Random but very varied.  Bodywork by (at least) Plaxton, Harrington, Eastern Coach Works and Duple.  Greasy bits by Bristol and probably Leyland.  

No Duples among that selection but a very eclectic mix. I'd say the pic was around 1979, the ex Royal Blue RE passed out of the National fleet in about 1977/ 8, it could possibly be later. By that time, the Harringtons and Plaxton Panoramas were becoming scarce.

Chassis wise, Gwiwer is correct with Bristol and Leyland for the Harrington and ECW, The Plaxton to the left is a Bedford J2 and Id guess the one to the right is a Bedford VAM.

The double decker is an ex-Standerwick Bristol VRL.

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting selection there, the Harrington bodied Leyland Leopard with its back to the camera is of course ex Southdown, the Brighton area 'CD' registration number is a dead giveaway.  Those Standerwick Bristol VRL's had an interesting history, they fell rapidly out of favour after some sort of nasty accident if I recall and soon found themselves scattered across small operators, indeed a couple still survive I believe.

• Like 1

Those Standerwick Bristol VRL's had an interesting history, they fell rapidly out of favour after some sort of nasty accident if I recall and soon found themselves scattered across small operators, indeed a couple still survive I believe.

One rolled over on the M1 killing 3 people and injuring 30, the rest of the VRL were very quickly withdrawn

Edited by 37114

Very interesting selection there, the Harrington bodied Leyland Leopard with its back to the camera is of course ex Southdown, the Brighton area 'CD' registration number is a dead giveaway.  Those Standerwick Bristol VRL's had an interesting history, they fell rapidly out of favour after some sort of nasty accident if I recall and soon found themselves scattered across small operators, indeed a couple still survive I believe.

A couple of them came to Melbourne (Australia) and were seen in a red livery with black windows for a few years, but I don't have details of which ones they were or what happened to them subsequently.

• RMweb Premium

One of those VRLs turned up on our university hall-to-campus shuttle most days for a while after the Leopard first supplied proved too small. Nice ride, though hardly at motorway speeds through London! The operator, International Coach Lines of Thornton Heath (who now have numerous Routemasters) bought quite a few. I also recall that some reached the distant shores of Melbourne where they were in the company of some pretty beaten-up Lodekkas. I believe at least one of the latter - an FS - still runs there.

Edited by Gwiwer

Theres a fully restored Standerwick VRL example up at Freckleton just across the yard from my bus. It's currently off the road at the moment awaiting an "engine out" repair to a rather massive oil leak. (Main crankshaft seal I think!)

post-7179-0-55807900-1507228914_thumb.jpg

JF

• Like 12

One of those VRLs turned up on our university hall-to-campus shuttle most days for a while after the Leopard first supplied proved too small. Nice ride, though hardly at motorway speeds through London! The operator, International Coach Lines of Thornton Heath (who now have numerous Routemasters) bought quite a few. I also recall that some reached the distant shores of Melbourne where they were in the company of some pretty beaten-up Lodekkas. I believe at least one of the latter - an FS - still runs there.

Yes, they were all pretty run-down. After the ex-Standerwick VRLLs, there was a Bristol LD Lodekka done up as a fake London Transport Routemaster, at least one FLF and one FSF, and later on, some ex-Reading VRL 'Jumbos'. For a while they had a storage yard at the corner of Centre Road and Warrigal Road, taking a corner off the Ventura depot - Ventura now have the whole lot of that land.