Bratchell Class 456 - Is it any good?

Hello!

I have been looking at getting the Bratchell Class 456 in NSE livery for quite some time, plenty of 'ummm'ing' and 'ahhh-ing' with the price though. With selling my current layout, this will give me sufficient funds to seriously consider getting it. I understand that there are some very evident flaws, such as the cab, bogies and lack of suitable underfloor equipment, but putting that aside, is it a good idea to get one?

Many thanks in advance! :) 

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I built the Southern liveried Bratchell Class 456. You need to scratch build the underfloor equipment and third rail pickup beams. I also added jumper cables to the cabs and led lights.

The kits are well designed and easy to build but you need to add details - especially to the cab fronts.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118946-southern-class-456/

Cheers

Darius

Thank you Darius :) It does look good! 

The details and motoring will be something to consider in the future. Kit building a train is something I've never done before, so it will be a good start! What's the best glue to use for assembly? 

Not the 456 but I have built the similar 320 from Bratchell and have to say it was so easy to build I was amazed.  I think I used butanone for most of the kit but can't remember for sure - the instructions do advise what glue to use.  Some of my reservations before buying evaporated whilst building - the lights on the nose are a bit simple being only painted on but otherwise I can't fault.  I thought underframe was too simplified but then I believe the real thing doesn't have much under most of the carriages.  Overall a real easy, pleasurable build and even motoring it wasn't taxing (using a black beetle).

M

I agree with Darius and Matt. The end details need to be scratchbuilt - things like the jumper cables and their 'hoods'. The printed lights are not at all convincing, but, like Darius, I intend fitting working lights eventually (he's ahead of me in having already done so).

I have used Replica Railways 64' motorised chassis with 12mm wheels to motorise my Bratchell classes 319/1 and 455/8 (both in NSE livery), but left the 456 unpowered to be hauled or propelled by the 455 unit.

As the others have said, the basic body shell is quite robust when assembled. There are no seats provided.

Bratchell%20Class%20456%20-%202_zpslhcgk

Bratchell%20NSE%20Classes%20455%20and%20

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

I have used the 'standard' coupling spacing dictated by the mounts provided in the kit extras, but there is nothing stopping me from closing the gaps later on, either by shortening the existing mounts or by making up new ones from plastic or brass. A bit of trial and error may be in order. :)

That sounds good enough for me! :)

A concern got raised by a railway modeller, who purchased a 319 from them. They seem to take their time from ordering the model to when it gets delivered, production issues maybe? Also I have emailed Bratchell enquiring about the model a few days ago and no reply as of yet...  :scratchhead:

I'm still quite set on getting it. 

• 2 months later...

I have assembled 1 car from a 150 as a test before putting a 321 together.

These are everything I could ask from a kit. The mouldings are very crisp & fit together perfectly. My 321 was a painted version & the livery has been well applied.

The supplied windows fit exactly.

I had to trim some mouldings from the inside in order to fit the underframe.

There is a lack of detail on the front end & there is no interior but I don't have a problem with this. It can easily be added by the modeller. The biggest issue for me is getting the basic shape right & the kit does this.

A Replica 64' motorised chassis fits nicely & should be powerful enough for up to 8 coaches if you need.

Take your time when building the bogies to ensure they are square.

Compared to a RTR unit these are a little more expensive, but where else are you going to get a 456? I would much rather pay this than for an inferior kit at half the price which looks a little ropey or has some errors with its basic shape.

If you want a 456 for your layout then definitely save up & buy one. Running something you built from a kit will give you a sense of satisfaction unmatched by running anything RTR.

• 5 months later...

Hello, 

I have decided to take the plunge and I'm going to purchase it in the new year once everything else has been dealt with financially. I've heard so many good things about the 456 from this topic and from railway modellers on Twitter that I feel that it would be daft to not get one! 

My plan of action is to get the kit, save up some more for a replica motorised chassis and then modify the unit so it looks more like a 456 than a 321. 

Thanks for all your help :)