2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Also, from this great information repository called RMweb we have two (and counting) period repositories of photos of the depot and surrounding buildings.

First a link from here to Ernie's (Irishswissernie) Flickr site.

Second, our very own Bubbles2 (Geoff) has an excellent gallery on here and has given permission to use shots of the box in this build.

Edited by 2ManySpams

Yes, Ollie who built it (along with ChrisM) was a very happy person at the club last Thursday. I have had several enquiries from shows regarding its possible attendance at shows, including Uckfield, so you may see it again in October.

Colin

Colin, if Ollie agrees to bring it to us in October can we expect to see you behind the layout operating or will you be coming in with the great un-washed?

Apologies for sliding off topic

Kev

I have often made models from those West Country interlopers. The good thing about it is every one I make buys me something for my own railway.

Good luck with your build I will look forward to watching your build progress.

Colin, if Ollie agrees to bring it to us in October can we expect to see you behind the layout operating or will you be coming in with the great un-washed?

Apologies for sliding off topic

Kev

Hi Kevin,

I would severly doubt Ollie would want me behind Stoating Bank, as he works with a couple of other club members, but it all depends on what they will be doing that weekend. I will more than likely be forced to part with cash at Uckfield again.

Colin

Ok, now have a green light on the source photos from Craig Munday. So this is the box:

post-6675-0-90566900-1332102701.jpg

Craig (Winterbourne) has been a big help and provided a load of photos and dimensions - something a BR signalman can do that we mortals can't, especially as the site has almost no public access (and is 300miles from where I live!).

Hi Chris,

I am taking it that this is going to be for DitD, you have mentioned it on there that you were going to be doing the box. Will look forward to watching this as you go along, as the buildings you built for that layout are superb.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Yes the box will be for DitD. It's going in the back right hand corner.

Well it looks like now folks have read the words that I must do some building.

I'm starting off from a bad position though. I know nothing about GWR boxes. One thing that is immediately apparent though is that the box isn't symmetrical. Looks like an extension on the LHS.

• RMweb Gold

I'm starting off from a bad position though. I know nothing about GWR boxes. One thing that is immediately apparent though is that the box isn't symmetrical. Looks like an extension on the LHS.

Not much in it and possibly due to having an internal staircase? As far as I can delve the 'box was opened in 1908 and aI can't find anything in either books or on the 'net about any serious alterations until the 1970s, and definitely no mention of extension at any time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike, a nice chap (craig) who operates the box says that the internal stairs are on the RHS, the locking room door on the LHS and the 'facilities' are top left rear.

I had expected the wonderful Western to have built the box symmetrical but it isn't. The spacing of the locking room Windows varies and the box Windows to the top left bay differ from the others.

Can folk give me any pointers to the type reference of this type of box? It doesn't seem to be in my Southern books ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, a nice chap (craig) who operates the box says that the internal stairs are on the RHS, the locking room door on the LHS and the 'facilities' are top left rear.

I had expected the wonderful Western to have built the box symmetrical but it isn't. The spacing of the locking room Windows varies and the box Windows to the top left bay differ from the others.

Can folk give me any pointers to the type reference of this type of box? It doesn't seem to be in my Southern books ;-)

I do wonder about some of these publications about the Southern - no taste it would seem :P :lol:

Anyway it looks to be a Type 7d (which also fits the 1908 date as 7d appeared c.1906); the nearest drawing - and nota very good one alas - that I can find after a quick look is that for Kingham West on page 83 of'A Pictorial Record of Great Western Signalling' although it is a type 7b (or possibly a 7c - certain detail is not clear) - but the essentials vary but a little from St Blazey and the critical differences are clear in any pics.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Great stuff!!

What should I wear????

Must brush my hair......

A 2manypie corset?

why do i have an image of a guy at show running DiTD wearing latice pastry top / sausage roll s for leg warmers :O :scratchhead:

post-7025-0-67954000-1332270563.jpg

surely with that cloudy day it would be - i never felt like singing the blues or 8 wheels on my....(bang crunch bang ) .... 6 wheels on my wagon and im still rolling along.

spams if your worried where it might go then just remember with all the old mines, diesels in the dutchy could become diesels in the depths, cornwalls answer to underground railways ??

• Like 1