2ManySpams

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2115419

That's Vulcan on Sheffield town hall.....Is that what a Brit looks like? :O

Using Diesel Identification for Beginners he seems to have a nose, so its a class 37?

looks like I got that right :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treflyn/3078789938/

Think you've struck gold there mickey to have Damian model the Sheffield Vulcan as a bonnet mascot for the 37 Vulcan and run that on DitD. watch the crowds roll in then.

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff !

Should be easy for Spams to read on his Android device - serves him right for being on holiday.

ha ha

So a few hours in the garage me thinks and then down the Lord Nelson for the beer festival.....

Did somebody mention beer!!

With no hand rails on the smoke deflectors?

...and lowered ejector. Incidentally, 70024 had the LM-type hand-holes in the deflectors, not the WR-type.

But your knowledge of a steamer is seriously impressive. Weakening?

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

...and lowered ejector. Incidentally, 70024 had the LM-type hand-holes in the deflectors, not the WR-type.

But your knowledge of a steamer is seriously impressive. Weakening?

Cheers,

BR(W).

Clue; accident involving 70026 - Polar Star........

In my view one of the nicest looking engines, that and the 9F - but not the Crosti ones....

• RMweb Gold

Nice pic, Rob. Since, as I'm sure to have said before, my only reference to St Blazey is watching a Grange come off-shed into the up platform at Par, then head off LE towards Plymouth, steam there seems quite right. I'm unable to say which Grange it was, and I only saw a quarter of the total number, sadly.

I propose an amended thread heading - "Steam and Diesels in the Duchy". All those in favour say "Aye"!

• Like 2

Brits were best seen on the GR Liverpool St to Norwich after that they were on the downward spiral to midland and strange western places ,the crash ,was it the one at Appleford when it ran down the sand drag? According to the book I read about it in the western drivers did not like the class and they got hand holds fitted in the deflectors is this true?

the crash ,was it the one at Appleford when it ran down the sand drag? According to the book I read about it in the western drivers did not like the class and they got hand holds fitted in the deflectors is this true?

The crash was at Milton, just west of Didcot on the GW main line, caused by excessive speed over the turnout from the Up Main to the Up Relief. Apparently the fact that the loco was left-hand drive and the signal sighting was set up for the standard GWR right- hand drive was a major factor. This, combined with the reduced visibility caused by the large boiler/deflectors/drifting steam led to the changes to the deflectors. For a chilling eye-witness account of the accident, see Harold Gasson's autobiography "Signalling Days".

In terms of the views of Western drivers about the class, I'm sure that Stationmaster Mike of this parish has written elsewhere that the locos were generally disliked, but the the shedmaster at Canton was determined to make a success of them and was a factor in their continued use on the South Wales routes until transferred away to the Midland - I've read that the brief return of the Castles to the route (and Kings for the first time) before the Hymeks arrived was popular with the crews.

David

• RMweb Gold

The crash was at Milton, just west of Didcot on the GW main line, caused by excessive speed over the turnout from the Up Main to the Up Relief. Apparently the fact that the loco was left-hand drive and the signal sighting was set up for the standard GWR right- hand drive was a major factor. This, combined with the reduced visibility caused by the large boiler/deflectors/drifting steam led to the changes to the deflectors. For a chilling eye-witness account of the accident, see Harold Gasson's autobiography "Signalling Days".

In terms of the views of Western drivers about the class, I'm sure that Stationmaster Mike of this parish has written elsewhere that the locos were generally disliked, but the the shedmaster at Canton was determined to make a success of them and was a factor in their continued use on the South Wales routes until transferred away to the Midland - I've read that the brief return of the Castles to the route (and Kings for the first time) before the Hymeks arrived was popular with the crews.

David

That's about it David although the Western dislike story has built up from a lot of venom which was poured on the Brits at Laira (from where they fairly rapidly disappeared) and the South Wales allocation was reputedly down to the District Motive Power Supt volunteering to 'take the lot' at a meeting where other DPS's were doing their best to get shot of them - Canton were seemingly given very little choice in the matter and were told to 'get on with them or else'.  Left hand drive was part of their problem in two ways - partly by putting the Driver on the side they weren't used to but also for putting the Fireman on the other side which meant left-handed firing (not popular) or they had to stand by/behind the Driver to fire right-handed, which could lead to overalls catching on the blower handle (again not popular) plus the locos had the usual pacific inclination to slip on starting (very unpopular with Western men).

I have appended below a link to Brigadier Langley's Report regarding the Milton derailment should anyone be interested - it is an excellent example of the way in which such incidents should be investigated and the form which a report should take (RAIB to please note ;) ).  Certain things in the Report are very interesting including the Guard's reluctance to apply the brake (reference another thread on here in recent times) and the 'problem with the injectors' - which must have been a very well worn record when signals were missed in steam days - and the signal sighting is thoroughlt examined plus what led to the smoke deflector mods.  Brigadier Langley is, in some respects, circumspect in his conclusions regarding the ATC where he takes literally the evidence given by the Driver & Fireman ('who doth protest too much' in my view in explaining in detail what happened at every other dead ramp they had encountered) although I would be surprised if Langley did not suspect what was known to be a common practice on the part of certain Drivers of - how shall I put it? - 'making the necessary arrangements to avoid taking action when they encountered a dead ramp and the ATC bell didn't ring'.  Langley, and others, seemingly found no evidence to indicate that the Driver was engaging in that practice that day  (which is not what other footplatemen who knew him suggested for many years afterwards).

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Milton1955.pdf

• RMweb Premium

That's about it David although the Western dislike story has built up from a lot of venom which was poured on the Brits at Laira (from where they fairly rapidly disappeared) and the South Wales allocation was reputedly down to the District Motive Power Supt volunteering to 'take the lot' at a meeting where other DPS's were doing their best to get shot of them - Canton were seemingly given very little choice in the matter and were told to 'get on with them or else'.  Left hand drive was part of their problem in two ways - partly by putting the Driver on the side they weren't used to but also for putting the Fireman on the other side which meant left-handed firing (not popular) or they had to stand by/behind the Driver to fire right-handed, which could lead to overalls catching on the blower handle (again not popular) plus the locos had the usual pacific inclination to slip on starting (very unpopular with Western men).

I have appended below a link to Brigadier Langley's Report regarding the Milton derailment should anyone be interested - it is an excellent example of the way in which such incidents should be investigated and the form which a report should take (RAIB to please note ;) ).  Certain things in the Report are very interesting including the Guard's reluctance to apply the brake (reference another thread on here in recent times) and the 'problem with the injectors' - which must have been a very well worn record when signals were missed in steam days - and the signal sighting is thoroughlt examined plus what led to the smoke deflector mods.  Brigadier Langley is, in some respects, circumspect in his conclusions regarding the ATC where he takes literally the evidence given by the Driver & Fireman ('who doth protest too much' in my view in explaining in detail what happened at every other dead ramp they had encountered) although I would be surprised if Langley did not suspect what was known to be a common practice on the part of certain Drivers of - how shall I put it? - 'making the necessary arrangements to avoid taking action when they encountered a dead ramp and the ATC bell didn't ring'.  Langley, and others, seemingly found no evidence to indicate that the Driver was engaging in that practice that day  (which is not what other footplatemen who knew him suggested for many years afterwards).

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Milton1955.pdf

This is interesting stuff and leads to a couple of questions ;

• What lead to the GW implementing train protection - a series of accidents? (as most signalling decisions seem to be accident driven)
  • How much of the network was covered? (I'm aware to this day that the GW has its own ATP, that the rest of the country doesn't)

Now I'm high jacking my own thread.....

and I better do some work today as Stubzie has already pointed out the lack of shots from yesterday.....

• RMweb Gold

This is interesting stuff and leads to a couple of questions ;

• What lead to the GW implementing train protection - a series of accidents? (as most signalling decisions seam to be accident driven)
  • How much of the network was covered? (I'm aware to this day that the GW has its own ATC, that the rest of the country doesn't)

Now I'm high jacking my own thread.....

and I better do some work today as Stubzie has already pointed out the lack of shots from yesterday.....

The GWR started with ATC experiments (not far from where I sit as it happens :O ) in 1906 and they might well have been spurred into action by a couple of collisions - such as that at Slough in 1900 - although the 'usual histories' don't mention that.  I recall reading somewhere that the 'last ramp' was laid in the vicinity of Penzance in the late1930s which completed installation over the main lines of the Company but apart from the Fairford experiment it was never installed on any single lines as far as I know, and I'm not sure to what extent it was installed on the lines taken over in South Wales but it definitely appeared on some of them.

The WR system lasted into the 1970s when it was finally supplanted by the BR standard system but I believe that some locos were dual fitted with both ATC and AWS prior to the full conversion - clearly a potentially important point for the late green/early blue diesel era if you're into hyper detailing.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

The GWR started with ATC experiments (not far from where I sit as it happens :O ) in 1906 and they might well have been spurred into action by a couple of collisions - such as that at Slough in 1900 - although the 'usual histories' don't mention that.  I recall reading somewhere that the 'last ramp' was laid in the vicinity of Penzance in the late1930s which completed installation over the main lines of the Company but apart from the Fairford experiment it was never installed on any single lines as far as I know, and I'm not sure to what extent it was installed on the lines taken over in South Wales but it definitely appeared on some of them.

The WR system lasted into the 1970s when it was finally supplanted by the BR standard system but I believe that some locos were dual fitted with both ATC and AWS prior to the full conversion - clearly a potentially important point for the late green/early blue diesel era if you're into hyper detailing.

Thanks for the info and almost linking it back into the tread topic......

I'm just trying to work out when the current ATP was fitted on the current GW HSTs.