S7 scratch building

8 minutes ago, airnimal said:

Perhaps in should have worked out all these things before stating out on this journey but I find if I am making something complicated I would never attempt to model it. I think it's better to overcome problems when they arrive than be put off building something fearing failure. 

My thoughts exactly Mike.  It is better to get started and work through problems as they arise rather than wait until you have all the T’s crossed and the I’s dotted!  If you did then I doubt anything would be built especially those ancient but interesting prototypes for which most of the information is incomplete or missing.

Ian.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Eureka !  One problem solved. I thought I had an old etch of a brake rack that was over etched making the holes to large. Could I use it as a drilling jig ? 

I had to file it down on one side to fit in the space on the frame. To support the middle of the frame I cut a piece of dowel between the frame before I clamped it with a couple of clips. 

Then with the drill turned up to a higher speed and with a small amout of cutting oil I was able to drill the necessary holes. Turning it over the second side was also completed although I got this slightly higher at one end. I think I can live with this small imperfection. 

We are told that we get older we have to exercise both our bodies and brains to save us from dementia and working out problems like this as well as cycling 30 miles yesterday certainly fulfills this. 

My wife does allsorts of crosswords and puzzles and ever morning we do Wordel together. 

20240819_095741.jpg

20240819_100450.jpg

20240819_100539.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2024 at 22:56, airnimal said:

I had a day out today at Shipley at the  expoEM show. Although I have never had any success with 4mm myself I still like to see good modelling. I enjoyed the layouts with Eastwood and High House Colliery particularly pleasing.  I bought a couple of items from the trade and i had a chat with several demonstrators. 

You should have said hello! Always good to talk wagons! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Sorry but I only stayed a short time and everytime I went past you were busy taking to a small crowd. I enjoyed your small layout because it is the sort I would like to make myself.  I also don't like butting in in front of people because I think it is rude to do so. I was at an exhibition several years ago and one well known modeller push me out of the way while I was in conversation with a exhibitor which I found to be quite unpleasant which I never forgot about. Being a very mellow character I let it go when I should have spoken up. 

20240819_114837.jpg

Edited by airnimal
Poor spelling
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Wow, that is impressive! I have sometimes fancied a GCR glass wagon (although, fortunately, I don't model the St Helens branch were several would be needed) but I could never even imagine how that framework could be modelled.

You're right. It has to be metal. Plastic, or even 3D printing, simply would not last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Brian,  I think modelling more than one would entail having an etch made of this framework because having cut this one out I don't wish to do another. Having got this far I still have the side bracing pieces at the sides to make and add, that is without all the srew adjusting clamps and holders to make and fit. 

20240821_141327.jpg

20240821_141515.jpg

20240821_141657.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought the end of the handle on the screw adjuster was too large so I replaced it with a small one. I think it was the right decision. With any luck I might be able go start on the Dia 42 tonight.  

20240822_153601.jpg

20240822_153625.jpg

20240822_154218.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

A start has been made on the longer Dia 42 glass wagon. I realise now that the bottom bracket will have to be replaced with a longer version that extends over the full length of the hole in the floor. 

20240823_140125.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have cut the basic body out but I am struggling to get the planks in the correct orientation to the well. I have had to make a small compromise over the length of the well. The plank widths are 7" wide which doesn't marry up to where the well starts and ends if full planks are used. I am not sure this is the solution and it doesn't sit comfortably on my shoulders.  I don't like like being out with measurements so it's something I will have to ponder on. There is still time for it to all go in the bin. 

20240824_133857.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Jim, not sure about different planks sizes. I don't have a plan view and the drawings In the wagon book are not totally clear. But I have come up with a solution which seems to work with a little bit of fudging.  I made a start on a replacement by cutting the well the correct size and then cutting the plank lines after. Thinking about it,  I did what I have done when tiling the bathroom and kitchen by starting in the middle and working outwards from the end of the well then going back and doing the middle portion. By adding a thou in this middle portion on each plank I was able to adjust the planks so they fitted in the space so all the planks lined up. This worked out with no noticeable difference.  

But having cracked the problem I have decided to abandon the long version and use the frames to make a smaller one. A couple of reasons are if I do ever build this layout once we move to a smaller house, shorter wagons would be more useful than longer ones. 

So I am going to finish off the frames with a few bits more like the pads on the ends of the screws. I will add some chains as well along with fixing holes to bolt them down to the wagon floor.

20240825_065135.jpg

20240825_082907.jpg

20240825_082959.jpg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I did wonder about securing the frames, Mike, but a packing case (full of glass :) ) would make perfect sense.

lovely as ever

best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Simond, I was unsure about just fixing the frames in place with just 4 lace pins. With all the care in the world something like these frames sticking up from this wagon is in a prime position to get damaged.  I would like to be able to have it loaded but also to run empty as well.

So I decided to remove all the paint and solder a couple extensions to base of the diagonal pieces to give some extra surface to glue them on with epoxy resin. This coupled  with the lace pins should give it a better chance on remaining undamaged. While I had the chance I soldered some small rings in the top holes to attach the chains and screw adjusters. 

When I decided to abandon the longer wagon I looked in the wagon book at this smaller Dia 39 

and realised I should have looked at this first because it has a better photograph and drawing than the larger wagon. I missed lots of details the first time round which now becomes a lot clearer.  I took the opportunity to drill the missing hole at the top of the frames but I am not going to add all the rivets.  

I am struggling to keep all the balls in the air at once again just now with the house move as well as planning a significant  birthday surprise for my better half in November. Our children still brings both myself and my wife things to fix and mend even though they left home years ago. 

20240827_145458.jpg

20240827_145832.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have decided not to paint the framework but just to dunk it in Carrs's metal black which has come out a lovely shade of used metal. I have added a few touches of rust mainly wiped on and then wiped off leaving a slightly weathered look. I have also changed the heavy chain and the fixing method to one nearer to scale prepositions. Trying to fix the chain using a ring at the top was causing me endless hassle so I came up with another solution.  Using very fine nylon fishing line i was able to thread it through the chain into the hole in the frame before looping it over itself and pulling into a tight knot. Taking my solding iron I was able to melt the line as close to the knot leaving very little showing which was then dabbed with a black pen to leave very little evidence to the naked eye. I have now used Aralidite to stick the frame onto the wagon with the lace pins as a back up. At first I thought i had made a big mistake because the Aradite took about 4 hours to go off. I was so used to using quick drying epoxy which goes after a few minutes I was beginning to panic. 

I have been making a packing crate in case I need it which is being painted at present. I will add more chains but I am going to leave the wagon as it is at present until after the Stafford show because I want to get some pressfix transfers from the HMRS society stand. The wagon has some extra ironwork on the body when it was converted to a glass wagon which I will add once I get the tranfers.  

20240828_183221.jpg

20240828_184002.jpg

20240828_184030.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I have now painted my wooden packing case ( not very well ) and placed it on the wagon which is held in the frame by the working screws adjusters. I did wonder if I should buy some real wood for the case but thought it may clash with the painted wooden floor.  Would the contrast with the natural finish and my attempts to portray real wood be to strong. 

20240829_121252.jpg

20240829_121313.jpg

20240829_121326.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks spot on, the problem with real wood for something so visible is getting wood with a fine enough grain. painted plastic looks the part. Looks like it's been delivering glass for a good while.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

If I have a criticism, which frankly, given the quality of your work compared with anything I could do, would be somewhat unfair, it is that the packaging and packing pieces are probably too weathered.  I imagine these were non-returnable and would be in new wood with relatively little weathering.

I do however agree that using real wood would be difficult to be convincing.

Overall I would now leave well alone.  As ever, your work is fantastic and leaves me only hoping to be able to emulate it.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1