S7 scratch building

I sometimes suspect that Mrs-CKPR-to-be thinks that I should be buying new tools and materials each time I do any model making and discard them, rather than having things in stock and cluttering the house up.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The brakegear is a simple wooden shoe acting on one wheel. I cut a brass shoe from an old brass washer which measures about 50 thou thick. The holding arm is from a piece of brass strip which is 1mm X 1.5mm and reduce by 50% by filing in my holding jig. Once solderd together it was soldered to an offcut of brass angle and screwed to the floor with my usual method.  

Just the brake rack to make and then all the little details and improve the slightly rusty wheels.

20240807_173420.jpg

20240808_101112.jpg

20240808_101540.jpg

20240808_101948.jpg

20240808_105353.jpg

20240808_121339.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I have brush painted several samples of plasticard with various coats of Tamiya paints and gone over of them with different washes. It is early days and I don't know if I am going in the right direction.  I will persevere as best I can. I think I could do with investing in some new paint brushes because the ones I am using are years old. I have given the top of the wagon a first coat of lightened Xf-78 to see if this will work for me. 

20240812_155317.jpg

20240812_171837.jpg

20240812_193612.jpg

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I am afraid I haven't cracked this painting bare wood malarkey. I have painted the wagon using the Tamiya XF-78 with added white with one coat of paint on the non brake side and a second coat on the brake side to see if there is a difference.  I have put a wash of nuln oil on all over but it still doesn't look right to me. The nuln oil has a shine to it which may disappear when I apply the Matt varnish later.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing because it has only just dawned on me that I have to paint the bolt heads after I have painted the body. Because this is the only wagon I have made in this condition it would have been easier to paint them before I fitted them rather than after they have been glued in. We still live and learn even in old age. I still have the axleboxes to make as well as painting the other bits and pieces which make make a difference to the overall look.

20240813_093347.jpg

20240813_093401.jpg

20240813_093419.jpg

20240813_093241.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I have painted a few things and it does make a slight difference.  When I varnish it and then add some weathering powders it may tone it down even more. 

I will try and do a bit more later but I am been given various tasks around the house. I mustn't disappoint the boss !

20240813_104202.jpg

20240813_104219.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I didn't think I would be able to do any more today but my good lady went shopping so I took the opportunity to letter and number with some old methfix tranfers. The jury is out on the bare wood effect and it does look different in different light. I only just noticed that I missed painting the bolts on the inner of one of the dumb buffers. 

20240813_125156.jpg

20240813_125420.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

The bearings supplied by Gibson and Haywood are both much smaller. However, they are also open-ended (which can cause issues with glue) and don't take Slater's axles (from memory).

I have occasionally found these smaller bearings useful. The Slater's bearings, to my mind, could be almost half the size they are.

Another issue is that 'manufacturing tolerances' mean that axles can be of differing lengths. This was pointed out (on here I think) by Bill Bedford. I had previously thought that my occasional need to file down axle ends to get a smooth-running wagon was my fault! Once Bill explained this it lit a lightbulb in my head and I no longer feel guilty when I have to do this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, airnimal said:

Thanks Brian,  I have over come the problem with the bearings by filing a small amount from the front face and reducing the depth of the axleboxes.  The axleboxes have made to look like the ones in the photograph as best I could but they still could be thinner.

I think I have finished this now but I wished I had distressed it more while I was at the cutting stage. I am still unsure of the finish of it but until I find a better way of painting unpainted wood it will have to do for now.

20240814_120120.jpg

20240814_120148.jpg

20240814_120203.jpg

20240814_120234.jpg

That is really excellent work.  To me the wood finish appears very realistic.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Something new on the horizon in the form of Dia 42. Whether this  gets beyond the initial stage in not sure just yet but if I don't try I will never know. 

First stage is the ironwork frame cut from laminated 12 thou nickel sheet. I cut one as a guide before soldering it on to 4 soldered together.  I have started to cut them out with my fret saw before I file them to shape. It is going to be fun soldering the angle iron part on them but at this stage it's just an experiment.  

20240816_133809.jpg

20240816_133949.jpg

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a day out today at Shipley at the  expoEM show. Although I have never had any success with 4mm myself I still like to see good modelling. I enjoyed the layouts with Eastwood and High House Colliery particularly pleasing.  I bought a couple of items from the trade and i had a chat with several demonstrators. 

Back home I managed to file to shape the the frame for the Dia 42 glass wagon. This is not perfect and I need to refine it before I separate the the 4 layers and start to add the other parts to form the angle iron. 

20240817_220557.jpg

20240817_220610.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

After filing a bit more off and measuring them, I have separated them and cleaned the solder from both sides. They are not perfect in anyway and the next stage will be the telling point. If I can't get the angle iron correct there won't be much further time spent on them. I will have to see if I have enough strip to go all around the inside faces to form the angle iron.  I might have to put it down on the wants list for the Stafford show. I already have a small list of bits and the list is growing all the time. 

With the weather being kind to use I will be going cycling later. I think there will only be 4 of us because a couple are away and one has falling out with the other lads. 

20240818_080859.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I have soldered up the first of the frame parts and cleaned most of the excess solder off. I tried using solder paint but went back to normal solder in the end. But before I go any further I thought I had better look at the wagon and how I would model the well. Because the well is very close to the axles which would make my own method of construction difficult.  The best part of the base plate would need to be removed taking out one of the fixing holes used to mount them. I have had to modify a set of them when I made a timber wagon but was able to drill another hole in the base plate to compensate. Another complicatation is the number of hole in these frames to attach chains and shackles that would need drilling. Could I get them all in line and would they look correct. 

Perhaps in should have worked out all these things before stating out on this journey but I find if I am making something complicated I would never attempt to model it. I think it's better to overcome problems when they arrive than be put off building something fearing failure. 

20240819_070618.jpg

20240819_070648.jpg

20240819_071232.jpg

20240819_071500.jpg

20240819_073628.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1