S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

You’ve got an 18” wide bum, Stephen? What’s the secret of your diet?

Late Victorian railway carriages provided seating with 30 inches per passenger, including the width of armrests, but 18 inches per passenger in third. I would be perfectly adequately accommodated in third, with a bit of wiggle room to spare. As to the stairs, one needs to add at least the clear width of one's other half's foot, to enable them to pass while one is engrossed. 

Going by my trouser size, a waist measurement of 36 inches divided by pie (apple and blackberry at this time of year) should give you a general idea, if you allow for a moderate degree of ellipticity.

A largely Mediterranean diet has not fully compensated for a tendency to middle-aged spread.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Late Victorian railway carriages provided seating with 30 inches per passenger, including the width of armrests, but 18 inches per passenger in third. I would be perfectly adequately accommodated in third, with a bit of wiggle room to spare. As to the stairs, one needs to add at least the clear width of one's other half's foot, to enable them to pass while one is engrossed. 

Going by my trouser size, a waist measurement of 36 inches divided by pie (apple and blackberry at this time of year) should give you a general idea, if you allow for a moderate degree of ellipticity.

A largely Mediterranean diet has not fully compensated for a tendency to middle-aged spread.

Indeed! It sounds like we are both blessed with very tolerant other halves. Actually, a number (but by no means not all) of the books on the stairs belong to my Good Lady Wife- but, in fairness, this is largely because the available bookcase space in the house is mainly taken up with railway books. Middle age spread does, sadly, require a little more of space for contemplation of books from the staircase library and this also depends on the tome. Jowett's pre-grouping atlas needs considerably more that the Chronicles of Boulton's Siding. It all gets a bit precarious too.

• Like 4

And by the time you've read it you'll have forgotten why you were going up the stairs!  The solution is to go to the toilet. Saves a wasted journey!😄

Jim

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

And what, pray, is wrong with the stairs? You just need about 18" clear in the middle.....

Not sure this is gonna work in a bungalow with only a loft ladder...

20240909_163955.jpg.18fcb690d0ad5fb2adfe406cf231fe0c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but you need space to sit down to read that book that caught your attention as you were half-way up.

easy peasy, sit on the books  they can also be adjusted for height.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

easy peasy, sit on the books  they can also be adjusted for height.

I saw a woman do that in a magazine shop once. She made a nice stack down the back, out of sight of the counter, to sit and read her favourite title. As a traditional standing tester of literary merchandise, I felt quite inadequate.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

After finishing the last wagon I would like to continue with a few more LNWR wagons but I don't have any more of the correct buffers. So if anyone would like to swap some of these from others companies for LNWR 10" buffers I would be happy to swap.

There is enough for 4  CR wagon of various quantities. 

There are 1 wagon set of RCH PO.

One set for a MR wagon. 

One set of LNWR one rib type.

PM me if you are interested. 

20240912_131135.jpg

20240912_131339.jpg

20240912_131516.jpg

20240912_131638.jpg

20240912_131854.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 14/09/2024 at 08:22, Coal Tank said:

Hi Mike,what about 3d printing?

Can .stl files be rescaled? Guy Rixon, following the demise of Shapeways, has made some of his 3D print files available for free download to S4Soc members, including 10" 3-bolt LNWR style. 

Second question, do you have a 3D printer or know anyone who can do 3D printing for you?

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have blocked the 8 tons letters on one side of this NSR wagon. I think the letters need thickening up a touch. The letters on these wagons look to large to me but that what was on them. 

I was hoping someone somewhere might have some small NSR letters from  the HMRS methfix sheet that they didn't need and was prepared to swoop for others from the same sheet or the Scottish sheet which I have hardly used. I am sorry if the photograph of the tranfers is washed out but anyone who has one of these sheets could work out what's there. 

20240919_150526.jpg

20240919_150600.jpg

20240919_152037.jpg

20240919_152508.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1