CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Detailed construction was covered in February while making the 7mm scale version. This 4mm scale model is coming along much faster....

post-6680-0-97900200-1522315732_thumb.jpg

It has now reached the garden wall and fine detailing part, or the ultra-boring part if I am honest......

post-6680-0-22719000-1522315734.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I have only just read your post although a visiting friend mentioned it this afternoon. Since 1965, I have always taken care to keep my railway interests well away from living quarters.

I think that is a good policy. My first layout after marriage was built in the garage. My current layout and all of my railway books etc are in a spare bedroom. The furthest any of it strays is the office desk where the computer is or the garage for painting. The living room is out of bounds as far as railways is concerned unless it is a TV programme that Anne wants to watch.

• Like 2

I think that is a good policy. My first layout after marriage was built in the garage. My current layout and all of my railway books etc are in a spare bedroom. The furthest any of it strays is the office desk where the computer is or the garage for painting. The living room is out of bounds as far as railways is concerned unless it is a TV programme that Anne wants to watch.

Give & take has kicked in here recently and I no longer have to vacate the living room because of gutter-level TV. After watching Corrie and Emerdale for the past thousand years, her indoors has now kicked both into touch. 

Give & take has kicked in here recently and I no longer have to vacate the living room because of gutter-level TV. After watching Corrie and Emerdale for the past thousand years, her indoors has now kicked both into touch. 

My Wife recently kicked Corrie off, but when Emmerfail is on I disappear into the Conservatory or TOPS, and like others, Railway STAYS in the Railway room / Shed, NOT indoors..

• Like 3

I never could abide Corrie, notwithstanding my avatar, although to my family it is almost a religion.  I did visit the street many years ago.

John

Talking of Corrie, my granddaughters wedding two years ago....A chuckle after I stood too close to the barbers scissors...

post-6680-0-45398900-1522344748.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

Production output = 2 chimney stacks! Note the spacer to help ensure the chimney sets perfectly upright....Wodda way to spend a whole afternoon).......

post-6680-0-76226200-1522359828_thumb.jpg

Midnight and time for bed. Just finished adding the lead flashing and guttering...

post-6680-0-68735900-1522365072.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

Thanks for the tutorials Coach.  The line was built by Thomas Brassey as was the line my layout is on (Shrewsbury to Hereford) and the Severn Valley Railway (Highley).  There are great similarities to all the buildings obviously built to a common design formula.  Should be a great help when a finally get round to building mine!

• Like 4

Took all today but it is built now. After blowing off all the plastic dust, the model was given a coat of Halfords Plastic Primer...

post-6680-0-76884300-1522434148_thumb.jpg

My usual 'sand' colour followed. The Gents lavatory is a separate fitting, while the old fashioned timber-built lean-too slots between the kitchen and the wall. Incidentally, the wall itself is almost scale length this time around, but it will mean remodelling the platform. ....

post-6680-0-60448400-1522434150_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Larry in re modelling the Platform, I'm guessing that;s when the Yard will come to the front, behind the other Platform.

BTW Meant to say WOW, Excellent work. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Larry in re modelling the Platform, I'm guessing that;s when the Yard will come to the front, behind the other Platform.

Not quite Andy. Because the Up buildings are now to scale length, (the platform remains one coach shorter than it should be), it means the end loading platform will have to be moved closer to the signal box. There will be just the one track in this yard serving the cattle dock and a lot more grass!

The new yard at the front of the layout will have a goods handling facility to replace the tin shed on the Up platform, and a decent length coal road. It is the 0 gauge plan but in 4mm!  Sidings will be laid to suit Kaydee foibles!  I hope everyone realizes Carrog Road is a freelance version of Carrog. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

Nearly there.....The 4mm building was weathered today. The scale length wall is obvious....

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 54.jpg

The 7mm building at roughly the same stage on 17th February ....

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 57.jpg

The 4mm version is looking good Larry .

Ooh that 7mm building will look nice on a layout .... lucky so & so’s ;-)

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Nearly there.....The 4mm building was weathered today. The scale length wall is obvious....

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 54.jpg

The 7mm building at roughly the same stage on 17th February ....

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 57.jpg

Both are outstanding Larry.

I have to say the standard of modelling by certain individuals has risen to a new level over the last few years, this is yet another prime example.

Edited by Andrew P

Both are outstanding Larry.

I have to say the standard of modelling by certain individuals has risen to a new level over the last few years, this is yet another prime example.

Thanks. This reluctant building-builder does have his moments. I have found that building from scratch is preferable to spending time adapting RTP and ending up with an unsatisfactory compromise. This LNWR model of Greenfield Junction 'box was built some years ago....I might find another use for it some day....

post-6680-0-53585900-1522572511_thumb.jpg

This scratch model of Greenfields peculiar shaped good shed was only demolished last week to provide stone for Carrog station masters garden wall....

post-6680-0-26233100-1522572617_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice box. How many levers is it?

Yikes! 

In all seriousness haha, it likely has too many or too few. While I visited the box often when on holiday in Oldham-de-la-Immigrasionano, and even signed Rule 55 on one occasion, I just never got around to counting levers. I don't think we even researched this when writing the Delph book.

At the front is the compromise built from a Highley resin RTP building with its long kitchen and a short wall. Then the 4mm version with its full length garden wall and finally, the 7mm version. The building at the front is finished as per today's Carrog with additional bay window....

post-6680-0-49706700-1522581049_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13