CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Stunning Larry, thanks for keeping us up dated with the pics, now how about a trip to Carrog with it, and photographed from the bridge, (being careful not to drop it over the side) with the real thing in the back ground?

• Like 2

Coach

Will you be taking up professional architectural modelling in 7mm as well as the 4mm coach building? :jester: :devil:

Tongue pressed firmly in cheek.

Yup, and working for less than £2.00 an hour.... haha. Eighteen days work.............. I don't know how architectural model makers make a living from it. I was so glad to tidy my desk off this morning and be rid of all the plastic swarf and dust.

Edited by coachmann

Really super model Larry. You leave us all standing with the quality of your modelling.

Derek

Oh, I don''t know about that Derek. You have been building very fine Midland structures for years.....The quality shines through on your layout thread. When you and I started modelling, there was no choice but to build almost everything, but I only fall back on old 'skills' when forced to!  :biggrin_mini2:

Absolutely fantastic! amazing building work Larry  :good:  :good: 

I presume that you have some idea of the basic track layout that you have in mind for Carrog Rd as I know your looking for more shunting. I stumbled on some pictures of Trevor Halt on this web site              https://www.wrexham-history.com/trevor-railway-halt/    has some interesting track arrangements which might give you some ideas / thoughts ...

Absolutely fantastic! amazing building work Larry  :good:  :good: 

I presume that you have some idea of the basic track layout that you have in mind for Carrog Rd as I know your looking for more shunting. I stumbled on some pictures of Trevor Halt on this web site              https://www.wrexham-history.com/trevor-railway-halt/    has some interesting track arrangements which might give you some ideas / thoughts ...

Thanks. I did look at Trevor a few years ago because, as you said, it has interesting freight facilities. What will appear at Carrog Road has yet to be determined by baseboard size. I aim to retain a good walkabout space, but things can get much wider at the bottom end of the shed where the yard will be. The track layout might even 'break the law' if space is at a premium. I knew what I wanted until a tape measure jolted me into reality mode. 

The real Carrog appears to have been used as a one road station during the winter timetable as early as the 1920, and maybe before, with Up & Down trains using the Up platform. So I have it in mind to signal the Down platform as a bi-directional goods loop. It was to have had its own headshunt, but I rather suspect the running line will continue as a headshunt due to lack of space.

• Like 1

The Down platform waiting shelter was started this afternoon. The first job was to print a side view photograph of the building to 7mm scale. Then the basic sides and ends were cut from 60thou Plastkard...

post-6680-0-69606900-1518993482.jpg

It was important to replicate the brickwork between the windows, because of the pattern of engineering blue brickwork, so this was done first....

post-6680-0-03424000-1518993484.jpg

......Followed by the remainder of the brickwork...

post-6680-0-50123700-1518993485.jpg

At this stage, I decided to paint the cream window frames onto some thick glazing material followed by the brown surrounds....

post-6680-0-93863900-1518993486.jpg

Windows and door openings were rounded with a course file and the mortar courses continued around the corners with a fine needle file...

post-6680-0-12330800-1518993488.jpg

The inside ends of the walls were shamfered and glued together with strenthening pices inside to keep the building 'square' and straight sided. I did not bother fitting arched bricks over the front windows and door because they will be hidden beneath a canopy.  In fact the whole front of the 4mm building was impossible to see except via a strategically-placed camera. And in case anyone if wondering why the inside back wall carries bricks, I can assure you it was by accident....!

post-6680-0-68423100-1518993489_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

A bit more done today as time permits. The door will be glazed with thick material one it has been painted brown. The lower panels will be painted cream onto the glazing to keep things tidy...

post-6680-0-87239800-1519050288.jpg

The Gents end with its rounded corner (not all the way up)...

post-6680-0-42321600-1519050287.jpg

post-6680-0-00091200-1519050290.jpg

post-6680-0-29638300-1519050753.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18

I am keeping construction together in case anyone refers back to this thread when making a building.  Guttering was added next. This has one rounded edge to represent the gutter and is attached to overhang the walls....

post-6680-0-01868500-1519057385.jpg

post-6680-0-25395300-1519057386.jpg

Then a roof was made from 60thou plastikard. The length of the middle section is equal to the combined length of the two outer sections. It only remains to clad it in slates ... 

post-6680-0-28448000-1519057387.jpg

Let the boring bit commence, that of making a canopy....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Scratch building at the speed of light, well almost. Great stuff, Coach. Particularly like the way you've done the guttering. That certainly won't drop off.

Edited by Rowsley17D

He gets a sniff of MEK and goes into overdrive.

Mek...'orrible stuff. I have used a replacement for years, but I ran out and I used a pal's original Mekpak this evening that is like Trico and is not good for the throat.

Only the chimney and canopy remain to be built now, then it will be sprayed. This building has been a quickie compared with the station house. The roof is too tall compared with the real building (I lazily took measurement of the roof off the 4mm model), although it is academic now....

post-6680-0-85614600-1519083449_thumb.jpg

This photo might be of interest, as it shows how feasible it is to make a goods yard entrance in the field beside the path. This yard will of course be at the front of my layout to facilitate uncoupling & coupling ...

post-6680-0-80340500-1519083451_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

Thanks for the links to valancing. I couldn't find images for slaters products so this firm lost out. In the age of the internet, a list simply is no longer good enough. Yorkmodels valance based on L&Y is the closest to GWR but the stuff i have ordered from Scalelink is listed as pucker GWR design (not etched).

The GWR waiting shelter has gone as far as it can go until the canopy can be started. A chimney took all morning to construct.....amazing innit for such a small item. Drain pipes were formed from plastikard sheet this time....

post-6680-0-62946100-1519140631.jpg

post-6680-0-12603100-1519140633.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks for the links to valancing. I couldn't find images for slaters products so this firm lost out. In the age of the internet, a list simply is no longer good enough. Yorkmodels valance based on L&Y is the closest to GWR but the stuff i have ordered from Scalelink is listed as pucker GWR design (not etched).

The GWR waiting shelter has gone as far as it can go until the canopy can be started. A chimney took all morning to construct.....amazing innit for such a small item. Drain pipes were formed from plastikard sheet this time....

attachicon.gifWEB Station down 18A.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Station Down 18B.jpg

Probably too late now, but as discussed recently on another thread, LCut do valences, and are good for custom laser cutting from drawings. Importantly

they have always struck me as more reasonably priced than York.

I certainly found Jacub most helpful when I needed  doors & windows for Helstonish, all done from drawings.