... I recently looked at a plan which had 10 turnouts, including a 3-way, 11 spurs and a run around. All in a space of 90ins x 18ins!  I've heard of the 'switchman's nightmare' but that would drive insane!

These type of plans also seem to get a very posiitive reaction from followers.  I just wonder if those who design these layouts ever get round to building and operating them.!

Thanks for the kind comments.

They fall into the trap of "if it looks complicated it must be interesting to operate". ;)

As we know, (helped by such notables as Sir Lance {may his disciples prosper} Mindheim) it's the amount of car spots that count, rather than spurs. What looks too simple/boring to non-believers on paper can actually be challenging to switch.

I get the feeling I'm preaching to the converted, though, round here, so I'll shut up. :blush:

• Like 1

Got to agree with you! I recently looked at a plan which had 10 turnouts, including a 3-way, 11 spurs and a run around. All in a space of 90ins x 18ins!  I've heard of the 'switchman's nightmare' but that would drive insane!

These type of plans also seem to get a very posiitive reaction from followers.  I just wonder if those who design these layouts ever get round to building and operating them.!

Thanks for the kind comments.

I know the plan you're talking about and many more like it. I think the "positive reaction" you see is based on a general lack of knowledge about how real railroads are operated and built with the least amount of track necessary, and the worn out thinking that "operation" means you have to have more track and switches or it's boring; rather than duplicating actual operations. How many times have you seen people post something like "you'll be sorry if you don't put a runaround siding/loop on your plan" even if what you're modeling wouldn't have any need for it. Stick to your guns!

Here is a full length pic of Marlborough.

The one storey warehouse at the front right provides a view block. To the right of the warehouse (not in the photo) is an un-scenicked area, about 20 ins long where spare freight cars

can be held until they are needed. I usually rotate around a dozen cars. Spare locos are kept undeneath in one of the IKEA drawers. Keeps them dust free.

I operate exactly as I did with my Palmetto Spur layout. 3 cars inbound and 3 cars outbound. Simple but fun!

post-7898-0-91226800-1513958794_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Aggggghhh!!! such great photos of Modern(-ish) Era HO stuff just reminds me of how badly served US 2-rail O Scale is in this area

There is a Gilmaur etched kit for an SW1500, is there not?

I have to keep reminding myself of how tiny HO really is.

But there is the other part of the solution. Because it is roughly 2x2x2=8 times larger in volume and mass, you only need ⅛ of the amount of stock for a given space, or if you prefer to think of the area or train length, you still only require ¼ of the stock for the layout footprint, and half the stock for a given train, yet get 8 times better inertia, etc.

Yes, there is less, but you need less anyway.

My letter to Santa was successful!   :locomotive:

Yes - Santa brought me an Atlas NS Geep. Although marketed by Atlas as a GP 38, the loco is actually a GP38-2 rebuilt from a GP38.

The non turbo charged prime mover sounds great (I find the whine from EMD turbo charged prime movers can be a tad annoying after a while)

Although not mentioned in the instuctions leaflet, the ESU Loksound decoder has the 'Drivehold' feature. This adds another dimension to the fun of switching. I love it!

post-7898-0-01894500-1514380211_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-50145500-1514380257_thumb.jpg

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2847378

• Like 5

Very nice present from Santa! I have two of the Intermountain GP-10's with the LokSound decoders that feature the Drive Hold. They sound just great and motor control is the best I've ever seen. I don't use the Drive Hold feature very often, but it is nice to get the locomotive running at a set speed and and be able to put the prime mover into idle and watch the train coast along. Also nice that I can simulate pumping up the air using that feature. Bit of a problem using it when switching, as it's easy to forget if the Drive Hold is on or off.

• Like 1

I've now discovered that my CSX GE B23-7, which I've owned for over six months, also has Drive Hold :banghead: .

I do wish Atlas would update their website and instruction manuals. They still show manual notching on F9. 

However, I'm delighted to now have 2 locos with this feature. Although the GE Dash 7 has a turbo charged prime mover, there is none of 'turbo whine' you get with an EMD.

Dear Dan,

"Drive Hold" is a LokSound function where:

- You start the loco moving and set the "track-speed"

- press "Drive Hold"
(this effective disconnects the "speed knob" from the "track-speed"/motor-speed of the loco,
the loco will "continue at last-commanded track speed")

- and then use the Speed knob on the DCC handset to "change the notch/sound behaviour" while the track-speed remains constant

IE it allows the modeller/operator to "play the sound" and notch-up/down independent of physical trackspeed,
such as throwing the sound into "Notch 8" when attacking an uphill grade, without sending the train into "warp-speed" physical motion...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
  • Like 3

The 'Drive Hold' or 'Full Throttle' featured was added to ESU Loksound decoders about a year ago and is now included in factory fitted 'Gold' series models. 

For those of us with small switching layouts, I find it works well, giving the opportunity to easily increase and decrease prime mover revs as decribed by Prof Klyzlr.

I hope to show the feature in my next layout.video.Meantime here is a short demo video from Matt Hermann. And the loco is an Atlas GP38  ... nice!

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 3

I'm not sure (yet) whether I like this 'Drive hold', I guess that I just need to practice more with it.

In the meantime, is there a simple way to turn it "off", please?

Cheers,

John.

You simply press and toggle F9 to engage and disengage Drive Hold. I usually press F9 to engage Drive Hold then press the 'Inc fast' button on my NCE Powercab twice.

This takes the prime mover revs up to around Notch 3.( Powercab will show speed step 20) Then press F9 again and immediatlely  press 'Dec fast' once (Powercab will now show speed step 10) and

the loco will pull away at a slow speed and  engine revs will have notched down.  

• Like 1

Thanks, Mal!

That's good to know. I have a complete DCC sound equipped 'board' that I fitted to my C&NW Alco RSD 4/5 - the sounds and motor control are great but the loco was behaving quite differently to what I was used to - I'll have another play soon.

Cheers and Happy new year.

John.