The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

English Language Usage

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Im afraid I have to have a wee rant here. Nothing annoys me more that seeing people talk about buying new things and they say "I have just been out and BROUGHT this today." Seriously? It's BOUGHT. You may well have BROUGHT your new item home, but you had BOUGHT it first.

Any one else got any language faux pas that really gets their goat up?

• Like 1

... Nothing annoys me more that seeing people talk about buying new things and they say "I have just been out and BROUGHT this today."

Whereas nothing annoys me more than cancer, or genocide, or...

Really, if that's all you have to be annoyed about, surely you should be celebrating how wonderful it is to be you and alive!

People have complained for centuries that standards of English are in terminal decline. But it's just words evolving their meanings. There are countless examples that we use today without a second thought, but at some point they had to transition to the new meaning and, for that transitional time, there'd be people like us bemoaning the ignorance of others. Just take it as helpful evidence that we're still alive, since the alternative is rather more bleak.

Paul

• Like 1

From the workshop:

- Using 'G-cramps' to 'cramp' things together, rather then clamp them.

- Cutting a 'slither' rather than a sliver.

- Using a 'fillet' of solder in a joint rather than fill it with solder.

David

• RMweb Premium

Having spent years of ridicule and humiliation because of my dyslexia, I have learned to say "Did you understand what I meant? If you did what is your problem?"

The same goes for spoken English, if you understand what has been communicated why worry.

The only time I worry about what has been said when I ask Mrs M  what is wrong and she replies "Nothing" with that look saying there is.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5

Things like terrorism, worries about Brexit, potential future health problems etc etc worry and anger me an awful lot more than simple mispronunciation.

If the thing that annoys you most is folk using "brought" instead of "bought", I'd say you're doing alright...

From the workshop:

- Using 'G-cramps' to 'cramp' things together, rather then clamp them.

- Cutting a 'slither' rather than a sliver.

- Using a 'fillet' of solder in a joint rather than fill it with solder.

David

Cramp or clamp - both perfectly proper usage and a fillet would be the curved (concave) deposit of solder in the right angle of a joint. If it is a butt joint a fillet is nigh on essential for strength.

HTH

Chaz

I know it's irrational and trivial but the use of less when it should be fewer and fewer when it should be less always irritates me.

And the amount of people who get it wrong also irritates!  :sarcastichand:

...People have complained for centuries that standards of English are in terminal decline. But it's just words evolving their meanings...

Indeed so. The best aspect of English is that it is effectively a democratic language, the usage shifts without any real regulation, to serve the purposes of those using it. As an example, nouns are effortlessly enverbed. Text was just marks on paper in the first half of my life, but now look at it!

• Like 1

Two things irritate me just now, firstly the current fad by people who want to sound intelligent to start ever answer with "so", the other is one that started in the USA and has become common here, that is the need to "reach out" to someone instead of talk to or contact, I am not a member of the Four Tops, and refuse to use this parlance.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cramp or clamp - both perfectly proper usage and a fillet would be the curved (concave) deposit of solder in the right angle of a joint. If it is a butt joint a fillet is nigh on essential for strength.

HTH

Chaz

I was going to comment on the original post that used the word fillet.

As you point out it is perfectly correct.

Concave it is not. A fillet should be triangular with three straight sides.

I know more about weld design than soldering but the basics are the same. A fillet weld size is quoted by leg length and throat thickness.

A concave fillet would need a greater leg length than is quoted on the drawing to obtain a sufficient throat thickness and would be more costly to produce.

Providing the original design is correct. I wonder how many soldering applications for model making actually bother  with design as it would make little difference in the sort of work we do.

Bernard

The only time I worry about what has been said when I ask Mrs M  what is wrong and she replies "Nothing" with that look saying there is.

Oh, what women say, & what they actually mean is another whole can of worms completely. :shout:
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having spent years of ridicule and humiliation because of my dyslexia, I have learned to say "Did you understand what I meant? If you did what is your problem?"

The same goes for spoken English, if you understand what has been communicated why worry.

The girl who wasn't then, but is now my adopted daughter, suffered the same at school.  She now has a Masters degree and a highly successful career.  Doesn't say much for the ability of the school to recognise the problem, she is only 32 now so it isn't a case of being before the condition was more recognised.

Isn't 'reaching out' and 'making a difference' just so much PC bull?  I hate those terms.

• Like 1

Oh, what women say, & what they actually mean is another whole can of worms completely. :shout:

After forty years I still haven't perfected the discrimination of the feminine 'Nothing' or 'It's fine', to determine whether this is 'Someone's gonna pay' or 'You - very specifically - are in deep doo-doo'. Frankly, I am beginning to wonder if they are playing by a consistent set of rules there...

Wemberley ...

Which may of course be closer to the pronunciation of the 'Wembalea' in the first recording of this place name.  A short walk away outsiders talk of Mary le bone, while the locals say Mahbun, and many many more such. Nothing to get excited over.

• Like 2

I was going to comment on the original post that used the word fillet.

As you point out it is perfectly correct.

Concave it is not. A fillet should be triangular with three straight sides.

I know more about weld design than soldering but the basics are the same. A fillet weld size is quoted by leg length and throat thickness.

A concave fillet would need a greater leg length than is quoted on the drawing to obtain a sufficient throat thickness and would be more costly to produce.

Providing the original design is correct. I wonder how many soldering applications for model making actually bother  with design as it would make little difference in the sort of work we do.

Bernard

Conversely I know nothing about welds. The fillets I get when soldering are concave - is it the result of surface tension drawing the solder along the surfaces, or merely the runniness of the solder? I can see why a triangular shape is more desirable being stronger for a given amount of material but I don't think the difference is crucial when building a brass loco' kit!

• RMweb Gold

The English language changes all the time, and should you be able to step back in time 100 or 200 years you would be looked at as though an alien.

Of course if you wanted to step back 500 years you could adopt the language of Court which was French. 

innit...

• Like 2