Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

Just an outside chance that someone knows an answer …..

This week has seen Southern produce some odd formations on the Brighton main line. Normally seeing 8 or 12-car trains with a few booked for 4-car there have been 6-car (2x377/3), 7-car (377/3+one of the 4-car classes), 9-car (3x377/3 observed although 5+4 is also possible) and 11-car (377/3 plus two 4-cars).  10-car (any pairing of the 5-car classes) is common on the Metro workings but rare on the main line because they don’t like 5-car units “escaping” from Selhurst’s care. 

Is this just a case of using anything available (better any train than none), a consequence of bad weather with units stopped for repair or is it perhaps linked with the current industrial disputes? 

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Just an outside chance that someone knows an answer …..

This week has seen Southern produce some odd formations on the Brighton main line. Normally seeing 8 or 12-car trains with a few booked for 4-car there have been 6-car (2x377/3), 7-car (377/3+one of the 4-car classes), 9-car (3x377/3 observed although 5+4 is also possible) and 11-car (377/3 plus two 4-cars).  10-car (any pairing of the 5-car classes) is common on the Metro workings but rare on the main line because they don’t like 5-car units “escaping” from Selhurst’s care. 

Is this just a case of using anything available (better any train than none), a consequence of bad weather with units stopped for repair or is it perhaps linked with the current industrial disputes? 

Probably because the entire 377 and 387 fleet is undergoing a refresh programme right now. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Probably because the entire 377 and 387 fleet is undergoing a refresh programme right now. 

Is/Has anyone taken pictures of the original interiors?  Just a thought...

• RMweb Premium

With 313's being taken out with faults seemingly on an hourly basis, 377/3's have had to be brought down south.

This morning for example 377321 was sent down from London on an Arun Valley turn to be swapped over to the Coastway West stoppers at Bognor.

A 377/3 was also sent back up to London Tuesday and Wednesday by tacking it onto a Coastway train in the morning that when it gets to Littlehampton then goes up to Victoria. 

They seem to be getting inventive with sending three cars back and forth!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, C126 said:

Is/Has anyone taken pictures of the original interiors?  Just a thought...

New interior is exactly the same as the old version just with advertising screens on bulkhead ends and USB plug sockets fitted.

The old Connex seat colours on the 377/3's and 377101 to 139 disappeared ten years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2022 at 23:03, John M Upton said:

One thing I encounter a lot being a proud member of "313 Squadron" is hearing the Enthusiast Grapevine regarding the 313's and their future.  The prosecution enters the following into evidence....

The other day I was told, sworn on a stack of grandmothers holding a stack of bibles that 313216 had already been withdrawn and was being pulled apart for spares at Lovers Walk.  Guess what I saw this morning....

Southern Class 313/2 313216 Chichester 12/10/22

Looks pretty much in one piece to me....

There really is a lot of spherical reproductive objects spread about as gospel truth by so called expert enthusiasts....

This ghostly apparition was seen at Seaford this morning.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Glad to see that, because I’d heard that maybe it had closed, or was about to.

The ferry service that runs from the end of Hythe Pier to Southampton Town Quay and provides some traffic for the pier railway was due to finish for good at the end of this month.

Fortunately there appears to be a last minute reprieve whilst discussions with a prospective purchaser are completed.  Details here for anyone interested. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 4630 said:

Fortunately there appears to be a last minute reprieve whilst discussions with a prospective purchaser are completed

Let’s hope. The Hythe Pier Tramway will not survive without the ferry. Both have dodged closure at the eleventh hour and some minutes more than once before. 

Ironically if the Waterside railway line were to reopen it might be a final nail in the ferry’s coffin. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Let’s hope. The Hythe Pier Tramway will not survive without the ferry. Both have dodged closure at the eleventh hour and some minutes more than once before. 

Ironically if the Waterside railway line were to reopen it might be a final nail in the ferry’s coffin. 

The ferry and pier tramway are certainly survivors.  Even surviving the pier being severed by an errant dredger !

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/20/stevenmorris

Yes, that’s an interesting point you raise about the Waterside railway line.  

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 4630 said:

The ferry and pier tramway are certainly survivors.

There would be, in my opinion, only the very slimmest chance of the tramway surviving as a standalone heritage operation without the ferry.  Despite its historical importance and unlike the Southend Pier railway it basically goes nowhere.  It would require quite significant funding to continue as a tourist and railway history attraction in its own right without the boat service at the seaward end.  The rolling stock and pier itself may survive a closure as static items but as a going concern ...... very unlikely.  

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

……Despite its historical importance ……..

As much as it would be a shame to see the end of the Hythe Pier tramway and the ferry operation, I’m not so sure you can attribute “historical importance” to it.

Both the pier and its electric railway are over a hundred years old and there are a number of stories and events that illustrate its history, but I can’t see how in anyway, this could be classed as “important”.

On the other point, I agree that if the Waterside rail line is reopened, there’s no chance that the ferry would survive.

With an increasing amount of development on the west bank of Southampton Water, set against the contrast of dwindling patronage of the ferry service, personally I would rather see a new rail service being implemented.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Bravo for snapping all four vehicles. Future students of the VEP era etc may be truly grateful.

Hi Ian,

Hope all is well and Happy New Year to you both.

Thinking of the VEP Era, I suspect you are aware of the REP trial runs from Eastleigh that touched 120MPH + in the New Forest? I was not present on such a run so can't verify but reliable sources at the time reported this as a fairly regular occurance. Plenty of installed power but I wonder about the ride quality.....

Perhaps a myth?

Kind regards,

Richard B