Ownership of LSWR T3 no. 563 transfered to Swanage Railway

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

1940's limits your options a bit as only 681 (withdrawn April 1943) and 648 (Withdrawn August 1940) survived past 1937 and 684 was fitted with a Drummond boiler since July 1932.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the information, I have already decided to build 681 since generally I only model engines that were allocated to 70D or those that I have a picture of on Basingstoke shed. Do you happen to know which livery 681 was applied in 1943? I guess it depends on when it had a major overhaul and when this was performed. I guess 1941 may be a possibility but perhaps 681 was too old and only received light maintenence. So perhaps Bulleid SR livery??

Kind regards,

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the information, I have already decided to build 681 since generally I only model engines that were allocated to 70D or those that I have a picture of on Basingstoke shed. Do you happen to know which livery 681 was applied in 1943? I guess it depends on when it had a major overhaul and when this was performed. I guess 1941 may be a possibility but perhaps 681 was too old and only received light maintenence. So perhaps Bulleid SR livery??

Kind regards,

They would both have still been in lined (faded) olive green. 
681 allocated to Basingstoke until transfer to Eastleigh in November 1942.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The loco has now commended loaded test runs! Looks and sounds excellent.

Just a shame they've priced the first runs way out of my budget, and probably that of many other people. £30 for one return trip from Swanage, but unlike when 60103 visited, the other services cannot be used by 563 ticket holders. So if you park at Norden it's an extra £17 return or £25 day rover per adult, meaning each ticket costs more than when 60103 visited. 

Lovely loco, fantastic achievement getting it steaming again for the first time in 75 years. But to command a higher fare than Flying Scotsman? Hmm...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

While it’s a novelty and demand is high I don’t think that’s unreasonable considering what they’ve spent on it. It’s certainly more of a novelty, and in my opinion better looking, than the Haggis is these days. It won’t get the general public as worked up but with some savvy marketing it could be sold as a true Victorian steam experience especially with dining trains to run some premium services with it. They just need some appropriate coaches though! 😆

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

While it’s a novelty and demand is high I don’t think that’s unreasonable considering what they’ve spent on it. It’s certainly more of a novelty, and in my opinion better looking, than the Haggis is these days. It won’t get the general public as worked up but with some savvy marketing it could be sold as a true Victorian steam experience especially with dining trains to run some premium services with it. They just need some appropriate coaches though! 😆

Is demand high though? The very first run on its first day in public service has a completely empty carriage at present, and only 18 tickets booked in total. The other three trains show 19, 12 and 8 tickets sold so far. Some of the midweek trips don't have a single ticket sold on them yet.

There's only one other train out on the days the T3 is running, and for 9 days it's half term. Families aren't going to pay for one round trip that doesn't stop anywhere, and especially not when it would be £115 for 2A+3C! A normal family return ticket is £47.

The loco doesn't owe anything at present, the overhaul was funded by grants and donations. It just seems a bit greedy of the railway to whack such a premium on what is, to the general public, a completely unknown loco.

I agree about the Victorian dining trains though! Shame they've only got Mk1s and the dining set is out of action after being vandalised a few months ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 5944 said:

Is demand high though?

It could be if it was advertised well, considering the video was the first I knew it was entering service soon. Anyway if there’s no demand then it’ll just fizzle out but with rising costs isn’t charging a premium for a novelty better than raising all the fares? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 5944 said:

The loco doesn't owe anything at present, the overhaul was funded by grants and donations.

Donations that might have gone to other projects too from some and it’s going to need careful looking after as it’s still a relatively small engine that’s going to work hard there. 
What Swanage badly need is a bigger shed to store locos undercover to ease maintenance and protect them from the elements when not in use. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I have never seen a loco running with the piston rods moving through the front of the cylinders before.

David

Quite common in Europe but many also had covers so you didn’t actually see them moving.  It was a concept to reduce wear in the cylinder liner by supporting the piston at both ends so less chance of deflection. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've always admired this locomotive and felt that it was somehow denied the celebrity it deserved. I remember seeing it at Shildon about 20 years ago with shabby, cracked paintwork. It's so good to see it in the limelight now. Congratulations to all concerned.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2023 at 17:15, Robin Brasher said:

The picture at Toronto shows the T3 in Adams LSWR livery as in my model.  Now it is in Drummond LSWR livery.

The Drummond livery being, I presume, more appropriate to the engine's current condition?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Drummond livery being, I presume, more appropriate to the engine's current condition?

Yes indeed and also the preference of the owning Trust. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

A few shots of 563 out in the wild hauling her first public passenger trains since 1945. 

IMG_4104.jpeg.a5a5b8feec6023acc4ab766375a91d7a.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg.0318e130fef7f9b255dc6c469a5a96df.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg

IMG_4143.jpeg.25db67d243e2a3c1a4ccc4cb09fd6759.jpeg

IMG_4150.jpeg.334b3443a983cb1744d029c648825fbc.jpeg

I can see far more worth in bringing such a former museum 'stuffed relic' back to life, than any of the current new build, 'updated' facsimiles of extinct 'iconic' locos.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2023 at 14:56, locoholic said:

I'm booked on 563 tomorrow - what do I get for my money? It doesn't look like there's time for a run over the whole line - is it Swanage - Harman's Cross and back, or Swanage - Corfe and back?

My parents did this a couple of weeks back and got Swanage to Norden and back. 

• Like 1