First Group win South West franchise

Light grey roof for a diesel unit seems a bit daft....

All the Stagecoach 158s have a grey roof, maybe just been cleaned? Ours stay pretty clean anyway. 158889 recently returned in full EMT livery, looking like new.

Edit: Having thought for a couple of seconds, I'm not sure 889 had a grey roof after all, all ours do have though. Not at my PC so any photo contradiction more than welcome

Edited by great central

• RMweb Premium

For example, who can tell that XCs voyagers have red painted roofs?

Quite. The models look very strange with pristine red roofs.

I don't know if they were every in that state - clean red roofs and XC livery on the sides.

Saw the SWR livery in the flesh this morning (briefly) for the first time.

The livery looked better than in the photos, but I still don't think much of the logo.

If I'd paid for that I think I'd want to ask for my money back.

The SWT diesels have dark grey roofs. Which is probably as far as you'd want to go. It'll end up that colour anyhow.

For example, who can tell that XCs voyagers have red painted roofs?

The first two or three SWT 159s painted initially had white roofs, before somebody thought better of it... ;)

(159008 back in 2003...!)

159008_Exeter_130903-L.jpg

Their original NSE livery had silver-grey roofs also.

Edited by Glorious NSE
  • Like 1

It's vinyls, they all are now. It will be interesting to see if they change the interior cushions later as it is still in red and blue.

Believe from comments elsewhere that they are due internal refurbs in 2019 or so - i'm dreading the thought of these really comfortable units ending up with the cheapest ironing board seats on the market...

(At present I'd rather spend 3 1/4 hours on a 159 than 2 1/2 on a GWR HST between Exeter and London...)

I have been down at Gillingham a few times recently when a train has been at the station. Very surprised at how slowly Stagecoach/SWT branding is being replaced.

SWR are probably saving all their money for the upcoming DOO strikes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Believe from comments elsewhere that they are due internal refurbs in 2019 or so - i'm dreading the thought of these really comfortable units ending up with the cheapest ironing board seats on the market...

(At present I'd rather spend 3 1/4 hours on a 159 than 2 1/2 on a GWR HST between Exeter and London...)

Try a Thameslink Class 700 'White Motor' then.  A Class 700 'Black Motor' had more comfortable seating, and that was a small wooden perch in the cab....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in such matters, SWR have published their proposed December 2018 timetable for consultation on their website.

Anyone who feels like they should be consulted should have a look and send them a comment as appropriate. They've already revised the Basingstoke/ Alton service group following feedback.

• RMweb Gold

The first two or three SWT 159s painted initially had white roofs, before somebody thought better of it... ;)

(159008 back in 2003...!)

159008_Exeter_130903-L.jpg

Their original NSE livery had silver-grey roofs also.

Yes, and 159 003/7/8 were the only ones on which the cab-end red and orange stripes extended up over the roofs. I thought it looked much smarter than the grey.

159 008 retained them for quite a while after the other two lost them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Quite. The models look very strange with pristine red roofs.

I don't know if they were every in that state - clean red roofs and XC livery on the sides.

Saw the SWR livery in the flesh this morning (briefly) for the first time.

The livery looked better than in the photos, but I still don't think much of the logo.

If I'd paid for that I think I'd want to ask for my money back.

I always thought that XC chose their dark red to match the dirty red roofs

If anyone is interested in such matters, SWR have published their proposed December 2018 timetable for consultation on their website.

Anyone who feels like they should be consulted should have a look and send them a comment as appropriate. They've already revised the Basingstoke/ Alton service group following feedback.

Yes I've made an appeal that they re-time the new first direct train down the WOE (a fine idea in the first place - top marks for that - cuts out that feckin' useless change at Basing off the 06:30 Weymouth that results in me missing & grumbling at the SWR platform staff on far too a regular basis) by 10 minutes so I & others coming from elsewhere in London can actually catch it on a regular basis.

Yes, and 159 003/7/8 were the only ones on which the cab-end red and orange stripes extended up over the roofs. I thought it looked much smarter than the grey.

159 008 retained them for quite a while after the other two lost them.

John

It did indeed, it was my transport to Fareham once, a quick dash up onto the overbridge and I managed to get a good photo of the roof showing the swoops over the top.

I think it kept the white roof until its next repaint whereas the other 2 were done much earlier.

Also note the old style air conditioning vents while carrying the SWT livery.

Edit-

Here is a picture of it with the revised vents but retaining the white roof-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railphotosonline/7121264761/in/photolist-c9ZRvU-b8X5qn-aNFYVg-av3QFW-mYgajP-bAnUXg-peavEm-9PMjoL-9LJHFj-9ESYbd-9s4k4S-yViXmG-9aGTY9-8ziTzP-8dBTS4-8bxUih-6wrjKy-6wMQ8W-bGcqCH-5Xqymp-5D58mD-5znsv4-57byFR-52eyEM-JfYUsj-4tucBf-VTd3JL-75e72V-zzeubc-5QZ8kf-bRhmcZ-bRhkUV-pNm8GH-omrpqU-dUcqcv-5HxCrK-pT4on3-aXRhs2-egEi4K-7R495g-FpQCT6-FUZRSN-od8WN6-qAdEK4-dQoKNN-Z19CN2-dvGYbS-XeTJJw-9F9yFq-rLF5rG

Not my pic.

Edited by royaloak

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Press release from South Western Railway issued today about the refurbishment of their Class 444 and 450 Desiro fleet.

South Western Railway passengers to benefit from £50m train refurbishment upgrade

South Western Railway (SWR) announced today that as part of its £1.2bn investment plans, it has signed contracts worth £50m with Siemens to refurbish its existing 172-strong Class 444 and Class 450 Desiro fleet of trains, which currently operate across the SWR network.

The enhancement programme, with work beginning in December 2017, will deliver a full interior refurbishment of all trains; including, at seat power points for mobile devices and real-time information displays and carpets. Additional benefits for First Class customers include new leather seats and new tables incorporating innovative inductive charging. The programme is expected to take around 12 months to complete.

The train enhancement programme is part of South Western Railway’s £1.2bn investment plan to transform the customer experience during its tenure. The plan includes the introduction of new and as-new train fleets to increase capacity; longer, more frequent trains; quicker journey times and better connectivity; and station improvements and a better ticket buying experience. It will also work to support the communities it serves, driving regional economic growth and improving its social and environmental responsibility.

Neil Drury, Engineering Director, SWR, said:

"We are delighted to have appointed Siemens to carry out the refurbishment of our Class 444 and 450 Desiros. This significant investment in our fleet of trains will see a step change for our customers, and investment in local facilities and suppliers. We have a long relationship with Siemens, who I am confident will deliver a high quality product."

Vernon Barker, Managing Director of Rail Systems, Siemens, said:

"Siemens is proud to secure this major partnership with South Western Railway having worked closely with the operator’s parent companies FirstGroup and MTR throughout their bid for the new franchise.

“The refurbishment of the rolling stock will go a long way to supporting South Western Railway to deliver on the commitments it set out at the start of the franchise, including improving the passenger experience through renovations which will deliver better trains and more seats for travellers across the region.”

Work will be undertaken at Eastleigh, with investment being made in local facilities as well as procurement from Axminster Carpets, located on the South Western Railway network.

Press release from South Western Railway issued today about the refurbishment of their Class 444 and 450 Desiro fleet.

South Western Railway passengers to benefit from £50m train refurbishment upgrade

South Western Railway (SWR) announced today that as part of its £1.2bn investment plans, it has signed contracts worth £50m with Siemens to refurbish its existing 172-strong Class 444 and Class 450 Desiro fleet of trains, which currently operate across the SWR network.

The enhancement programme, with work beginning in December 2017, will deliver a full interior refurbishment of all trains; including, at seat power points for mobile devices and real-time information displays and carpets. Additional benefits for First Class customers include new leather seats and new tables incorporating innovative inductive charging. The programme is expected to take around 12 months to complete.

The train enhancement programme is part of South Western Railway’s £1.2bn investment plan to transform the customer experience during its tenure. The plan includes the introduction of new and as-new train fleets to increase capacity; longer, more frequent trains; quicker journey times and better connectivity; and station improvements and a better ticket buying experience. It will also work to support the communities it serves, driving regional economic growth and improving its social and environmental responsibility.

"We are delighted to have appointed Siemens to carry out the refurbishment of our Class 444 and 450 Desiros. This significant investment in our fleet of trains will see a step change for our customers, and investment in local facilities and suppliers. We have a long relationship with Siemens, who I am confident will deliver a high quality product."

"Siemens is proud to secure this major partnership with South Western Railway having worked closely with the operator’s parent companies FirstGroup and MTR throughout their bid for the new franchise.

“The refurbishment of the rolling stock will go a long way to supporting South Western Railway to deliver on the commitments it set out at the start of the franchise, including improving the passenger experience through renovations which will deliver better trains and more seats for travellers across the region.”

Work will be undertaken at Eastleigh, with investment being made in local facilities as well as procurement from Axminster Carpets, located on the South Western Railway network.

444 standard interior shows 3+2.  Either a mistake in the press release or a serious error of judgement!

• RMweb Premium

444 standard interior shows 3+2.  Either a mistake in the press release or a serious error of judgement!

A mistake. Class 450 will retain 3+2 seating and class 444 will retain 2+2 seating. Along with class 442 that should mean most main line fast trains will have 2+2 seating in future.

There has been an outbreak of stickering in recent days with numerous units of classes 455, 456, 458 and 707 now sporting South Western Railway vinyls over the South West Trains branding. This includes covering the thin orange waistband entirely. The blue observed on the 458s does not match the livery - it is significantly lighter and looks “tacky” - whereas the red matches almost perfectly on the other classes

Interesting. That would be the Vernon Barker, late of First Group. Siemens did well there then with their recruitment.