JMRI - How to Use it?

Sir TophamHatt

Seems pretty simple but I haven't got a simple answer :/

So I download the program and install it - that's great.

But how do I connect the PC to some track?

I've read about USB converters and such, and how my Prodigy Advance 2 is supported but I don't understand all of that bit.  So my thoughts are:

1) I connect the PC to the PA2, turn it all on, then the PA2 changes the DCC chip.

2) I buy some sort of usb-to-track converter (from where?), and JMRI will encode the chip.

Any help?

I've read about USB converters and such, and how my Prodigy Advance 2 is supported but I don't understand all of that bit.  So my thoughts are:

1) I connect the PC to the PA2, turn it all on, then the PA2 changes the DCC chip.

2) I buy some sort of usb-to-track converter (from where?), and JMRI will encode the chip.

Any help?

You need a connection from the computer to the track.   Given where you start (Gaugemaster PA2), there are two main options:

1 - The Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy computer interface module.  This connects your Gaugemaster system to a computer.    With that, you can select the system within JMRI (it may be listed as "MRC" as they are the maker of the system which Gaugemaster badge for the UK, and most of the help will be under "Model Rectifier Corporation" or "MRC").    The JMRI webpages list the capabilities available through the MRC/Gaugemaster system.   The capabilities are bit basic and limited, though it will let you do some things, such as setting decoder CV values on both programming track and mainline, and it will also let you drive trains using computer throttles (and also throttles on smartphones).

2 - Use a completely different DCC system with a computer interface.  For this, you MUST disconnect the Gaugemaster system from the track - simple rule for DCC is "ONE DCC system only".   Failing to disconnect risks damaging one of the DCC systems (it is a very high chance of damage).    There are options from £50, such as the Sprog, heading up to "how much do you want to spend". 

Any help?

You might want to start by purchasing a sprog 3. (. http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/ ). That is everything you need to connect your computer to both your layout (assuming wiring is suitable for DCC) and also a programming track. It could replace your prodigy entirely if you want to start down the computer control road

I don't know anything about connecting the prodigy but in general you need a component to connect your computer to the command station. In my case I use digitrax and I use the locobuffer - usb from rrcircits. ( www.rr-circuits.com )

Hope this helps

Norm

You might want to start by purchasing a sprog 3. (. http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/ ). That is everything you need to connect your computer to both your layout (assuming wiring is suitable for DCC) and also a programming track. It could replace your prodigy entirely if you want to start down the computer control road

I don't know anything about connecting the prodigy but in general you need a component to connect your computer to the command station. In my case I use digitrax and I use the locobuffer - usb from rrcircits. ( www.rr-circuits.com )

Hope this helps

Norm

I just realized that the locobuffer -USB device is specific to Digitrax so may not be a solution for connecting the prodigy command station to the layout

Sorry for the poor advice on that.  However the JMRI documentation states

"JMRI can connect to an MRC Prodigy Advanced2 command station via the USB Computer interface (MRC:1516 or Gaugemaster:DCC55). This has been tested with the wired and wireless versions of the interface.

JMRI should be able to support all of the MRC Prodigy range of systems, however it has only been tested and developed with the Advanced"

Regards

Norm

For the wiring, my suggestion is to have two output wire options from the Computer and USB device (depending on DCC device) 
One goes to the DCC device, then to the Layout 
One goes to the DCC device, then a Programming Track 

Within JMRI it defaults to Programming Mode (it can be set to Layout Mode) 
Once you have programmed your DCC models you can then change this 

In my case all the models have arrived already set with the Addresses, so all I need to do is create the new model within JMRI, no need for a Programming Track 
I have retained this option, and use it to test single models, rather than on the Layout

For the wiring, my suggestion is to have two output wire options from the Computer and USB device (depending on DCC device) 

One goes to the DCC device, then to the Layout 

One goes to the DCC device, then a Programming Track 

You make that sound more complicated than it really is. You only need the 1 connection from PC to Prodigy. This will be the Gaugemaster  DCC55, which is on Gaugemaster's website at £65. So much for your 'free' software. You can either use Gaugemaster's own software with it, or JMRI. Assuming you use JMRI, then it should work the same as it does for my PowerPro, which is:

When starting JMRI, you choose your connection & system. This is easier than it sounds. You can save this choice & just choose this whenever you run it.

You can add locos either manually or from the programming track (assuming you have one). You don't need to touch a handset to use the programming track. JMRI does this for you.

You get a nice graphical representation of all the CVs in plain English. You don't have to remember what each CV does. This is a much nicer way to adjust CVs than from the throttle. Some decoders are far more adjustable than others & you will see this from the table & options available.

Once you have saved these to your roster, you can select each to run them.

You can also change any CV settings on the fly very easily (even when the loco you are programming is being operated by another throttle) but you can only read them from the programming track. If you ensure you only ever change them from JMRI, then the displayed settings should stay in sync with those applied to the decoders.

You can also activate Wi throttle & use an Android or Apple iOS device as a throttle via your wifi. I don't find this as user-friendly as the proper throttle though. I also found than Windows firewall will block connections from throttles next time you start the program, so you'll have to sort this.

That is all I have really done with it, although I am aware it can control pointwork & I believe you can design your own control panel to take this a stage further. I rarely use Wi Throttle, even less often use JMRI's own throttle.

I find programming so much easier with JMRI. I rarely use the throttle for this now.

• RMweb Premium

I find programming so much easier with JMRI. I rarely use the throttle for this now.

Well, yes and no. For simple programming, I find using my NCE Powercab handset much easier and quicker.

By contrast if I use JMRI I have to get out my old laptop that I keep specifically for this purpose, connect it up to the track, fire it up, wait three minutes for Windows and JMRI to boot up, then spend some considerable time trying to remember how to use JMRI.  So I really only use it for those occasions when i have to do something that I consider more complicated, eg reassignment of F key functions.  It might be different if I had a more up to date and powerful laptop that I kept permananetly connected and if I used JMRI regularly.

Oh, and before nayone mentions Linux as a faster alternative to Windows, I do have Linux installed dual-boot with Windows on the laptop but found it ridiculously - in fact, impossibly - complicated trying to install JMRI on it.

DT

Well, yes and no. For simple programming, I find using my NCE Powercab handset much easier and quicker.

By contrast if I use JMRI I have to get out my old laptop that I keep specifically for this purpose.

I can understand our differences here. I have a bit of an IT-geeky setup.

I have a PC & a Raspberry PI set up in the layout room. Both have JMRI installed & I think the PI is currently connected to the layout.

So it is much easier for me to turn on JMRI.

Evening all I have a SPROG II run from my laptop ,The only thing I did wrong was to not read the instructions properly, I use it to adjust p.c. I am running Bachmann easy dcc using main plus 2 remotes .Good for learners of DCC Cheers K S

• RMweb Premium

I can understand our differences here. I have a bit of an IT-geeky setup.

I have a PC & a Raspberry PI set up in the layout room. Both have JMRI installed & I think the PI is currently connected to the layout.

So it is much easier for me to turn on JMRI.

I've got JMRI connected via a Sprog for programming and via Arduino for other stuff (signals), but can still reprogram a couple of CVs far quicker using my handset than even booting up DecoderPro. If I want to do lots of tweaking I'd use DecoderPro though. Horses for courses.

I'm not interested in automated layout control, I'm using JMRI for a mimic panel, to monitor block occupancy and to control signals. It's an impressively powerful bit of software once you get to grips with how it works.

So much for your 'free' software.

I'm fairly sure it's still free even though you have to pay for hardware...

I've got JMRI connected via a Sprog for programming and via Arduino for other stuff (signals), but can still reprogram a couple of CVs far quicker using my handset than even booting up DecoderPro. If I want to do lots of tweaking I'd use DecoderPro though. Horses for courses.

Though by doing this, your JMRI records for each loco don't match the settings in the locos. Not an issue for some, might be a big issue for other people.

I'm not interested in automated layout control, I'm using JMRI for a mimic panel, to monitor block occupancy and to control signals. It's an impressively powerful bit of software once you get to grips with how it works.

I'm fairly sure it's still free even though you have to pay for hardware...

JMRI is free, open source. I can't see that changing.

The team behind JMRI have fought expensive legal battles over copyright, patents and related matters to keep things open source and free.

The cost of hardware interconnect to a DCC system is down to the DCC system you own. Some need just a connecting lead USB cable (completely standard cable). A few DCC systems come complete with WiFi connectivity built in, so no physical parts needed for interconnect. But many DCC systems lack a specific computer interface without buying a manufacturer specific "box" to make the computer connection.

( Also, in the thread above, there is a lot of confusing garbled advice )

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

I think it would be really useful if there was 'an idiots guide to JMRI'. What I would really like to do is somehow read, modify and save cv settings using my only computer, which is a iMac. But have no idea how to.

I think it would be really useful if there was 'an idiots guide to JMRI'. What I would really like to do is somehow read, modify and save cv settings using my only computer, which is a iMac. But have no idea how to.

Totally agree with you on the need for a 'Dummies guide to JMRI' Colin. I can tell you that all you need for what you want to do is to download and install JMRI on your Mac. Connect the Mac to your programming track using a SROG II device and use the DecoderPro component of JMRI. I find that it's the most intuitive component of JMRI. It translates CV numbers to plain text. - acceleration rate for example and also stores all the settings for each loco in a file. Norm

• RMweb Premium

JMRI is free, open source. I can't see that changing.

The team behind JMRI have fought expensive legal battles over copyright, patents and related matters to keep things open source and free.

The cost of hardware interconnect to a DCC system is down to the DCC system you own. Some need just a connecting lead USB cable (completely standard cable). A few DCC systems come complete with WiFi connectivity built in, so no physical parts needed for interconnect. But many DCC systems lack a specific computer interface without buying a manufacturer specific "box" to make the computer connection.

My post was tongue in cheek - Pete was implying the software wasn't free because you have to pay for hardware, which is of course a bit daft. JMRI are to be applauded for keeping it open source.

You make that sound more complicated than it really is

It is just a suggestion, and many of the manufacturers include both diagrams 

Not really complicated, just cable outputs, and you decide which you want to use 

I normally have the Layout wired connected, but in the rare occasion I need to perform programming I simply swap the connections over

Totally agree with you on the need for a 'Dummies guide to JMRI' Colin. I can tell you that all you need for what you want to do is to download and install JMRI on your Mac. Connect the Mac to your programming track using a SROG II device and use the DecoderPro component of JMRI. I find that it's the most intuitive component of JMRI. It translates CV numbers to plain text. - acceleration rate for example and also stores all the settings for each loco in a file. Norm

JMRI is written by its users.   There's nobody in the background paying for it to be written.   So, if a beginner's manual is wanted, someone (you lot) is going to have to write it. 

There is help and documentation, but it isn't the simplest to read.    There is an old manual for version 3.6, which is still basically accurate, which could be updated if someone (you lot) got on and did it. 

( I do contribute to JMRI, not as much as I did some years back when I spent months designing the Roster view, but I'm still at things.  )

- Nigel

It is just a suggestion, and many of the manufacturers include both diagrams 

Not really complicated, just cable outputs, and you decide which you want to use 

I normally have the Layout wired connected, but in the rare occasion I need to perform programming I simply swap the connections over

Your setup must be different to my PowerPro then.

Both layout & programming track are connected. It automatically switches when the programming track is required.

I assumed the Prodigy would also do this?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the help. Sprog ordered from Coastal DCC.

Personally I would be quite happy to pay towards a 'user guide'. Probably save hours of toil and frustration.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not coming back sooner.

Interesting replies but I think I need it even more simple than computer controlled layout and this and that.

I have a PC in the office and want to bring a short piece of (programming) track to it.  To be honest, I only need JMRI to program one train as I just leave all the other CV values on all the other trains as default (for now).

However, I am struggling to program that one train using the handset, hence something that I can see in plain text what it means.

I don't want to derail the topic but it's a 2-car Class 170 with Express models lights (so only one motor to worry about).  The instructions say:

"programme (sic) both decoders at the same time with the same address and assign the

white lead to F0

yellow to F1

green to F2

lilac to F3.

Do not use directionally controlled lighting, all four functions should be independently controlled".

...but how do I know what CV number is the yellow/green/whatever wire?  The Lenz Standard v2 manual manual doesn't say. (I've used a Lenz chip in both ends.)  I did program both decoders to have a new number at the same time, but that's as far as I have got.

However I saw a screenshot of part of JMRI where it had a little picture of each of the wires and an option to assign a F number next to it, so I thought that would be the only way to get this train finished and running properly.

To be honest, if someone can solve that problem, then I probably wouldn't need JMRI for now.

The Lenz standard plus vee two uses an approximation to standard NMRA function mapping so the following will work with the Express Models recommended wiring:-

CV33=0 - Turns off forward directional lighting on F0

CV34=0 - Turns off backwards directional lighting on F0

CV35=1 - Turns on main headlight front on F1

CV36=2 - Turns on dipped headlight front on F2

CV37=4 - Turns on main headlight rear on F3

CV38=8 - Turns on dipped headlight rear on F4 (this is a non standard value as far as NMRA mapping is concerned so will be different on fully NMRA compatible decoders).

DecoderPro has a screen that will allow you to tick boxes to set these values in a graphical way.

When using seperate decoders in each of the two or three cars of a 170 it is possible to wire things a little differently and use different mapping in each decoder to free up a function for the 'Door Open' lights but that is one for the super-keen.

• RMweb Premium

My SPROG has arrived, plus a power supply as I hadn't got anything suitable. Very happy with the service and especially the help from Coastal DCC. Included with it are a CD which says it includes the drivers (not people who make the trains go, but the software which makesSPROG work on my Mac). Found some instructions on internet. So far all looks OK. No rush to set it up though as I've got lots of projects I need to finish first.

Archived