The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

Merredin Rail Museum - view from the Signal cabin

The entire old station and signal cabin is Preserved along with the visible rolling stock and an assortment of signals and a section of the old 3'6" line.

It sits just down from the Newer modern station and alongside the Standard gauge line (unseen to the right) that went through in the late 60's.

post-23233-0-41231300-1500639921_thumb.jpg

Have another wildcard :)

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Gold

How about 37403 'Isle of Mull', complete with white terrier.

post-414-0-53989300-1500640625.jpg

How about something from the London Underground next.

• Like 2

Cravens heritage train approaching North Weald (power provided by two Schöma locomotives at rear, in absence of third rail).

post-10122-0-88351200-1500645996_thumb.jpg

That doyen of railway photographers, Canon Eric Treacy, used to put away his cameras during the winter months, as he considered the results would be flat and uninteresting.  Let's hope that is no longer the case - how about something taken during January 2017? 

• RMweb Gold

That doyen of railway photographers, Canon Eric Treacy, used to put away his cameras during the winter months, as he considered the results would be flat and uninteresting.

You learn something new everyday.

Far be it from me to criticise, but personally, I find the winter months are one of the best periods of the year for photography.

The days can be crisp and clear with good light and less haze. With the sun, if it's out, being lower in the sky shadows are less harsh. Extremes of weather can make for some dramatic scenes too.

Plus, you don't have to get up at 'stupid o'clock' if you want to take sunrise pictures.

Perhaps he lacked Devine inspiration sometimes.

You learn something new everyday.

Far be it from me to criticise, but personally, I find the winter months are one of the best periods of the year for photography.

The days can be crisp and clear with good light and less haze. With the sun, if it's out, being lower in the sky shadows are less harsh. Extremes of weather can make for some dramatic scenes too.

Plus, you don't have to get up at 'stupid o'clock' if you want to take sunrise pictures.

Perhaps he lacked Devine inspiration sometimes.

It might be because he spent a lot of time in the northern fells, which can be pretty bleak in winter.

I'd agree about the quality of light in winter, but it's far from a "given", even on dry days. For me, it's dull, overcast days in November after the clocks have gone back that are the worst, when the light is so weak there aren't even any shadows. At least with the advent of digital decent results are possible, but trying to catch a moving train on film was well nigh impossible.

• RMweb Premium

It might be because he spent a lot of time in the northern fells, which can be pretty bleak in winter.

They're not always that good in summer either....................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

How about New Year's Day 2013, on a trip to the nearest Argos, at Burgess Hill, that had a toy that my Grandson wanted for his birthday a few days later

post-14351-0-91681100-1500651268_thumb.jpg

A Southern dmu next please.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

33858270596_1a7eb70028_z.jpg171402 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

171402 stands at London Bridge.

Next up. I see a few entries deleted because they were a little late. How about one of those that didn't quite make it? To 'qualify' you need to mention the request it was originally intended for. If that makes sense!

• Like 2

Thanks Claude. Here's ex GWR 'Manor' 7812 'Erlestoke Manor' crossing over a cattle bridge having just crossed Victoria Bridge, just south of Arley. It was for the request of a train over a bridge. I also took a monochrome shot if anyone wants to see it.

post-31351-0-17835600-1500656970_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Here is 66751 dragging IEP 800001 approaching Werrington Junction after overnight testing on 10th June 2015.

post-414-0-86988900-1500661841.jpg

And time for another wild card.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh go on, have a wildcard then.

Cheers

This is what I've tried to post more than once:

post-6208-0-89801400-1500662524_thumb.jpg

Sugar Cane railway Egypt (west bank Luxor)

If OK next another sugar cane railway anywhere

Keith

• Like 3

Big "like" on that last one, Keith. Those railways can be difficult to see/photograph. Do you have any idea as to the identity of the loco?

Here's one of the few sugar cane railways in the Philippines still in operation - the Hawaiian-Philippine Company in *. The company keeps two steam locomotives operational for visiting groups - but with the decline of steam and closure of lines throughout much of the island, those groups tend to be few and far between.

post-10122-0-09509500-1500663590_thumb.jpg

This might be a long shot, but how about a scene with a volcano?

*Just noticed that the name of the island falls foul of the pc brigade!

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Big "like" on that last one, Keith.  Those railways can be difficult to see/photograph.  Do you have any idea as to the identity of the loco?

This might be a long shot, but how about a scene with a volcano?

Thanks

I tried to post on three occasions under different categories and was pipped each time!

No idea about the loco, I'm afraid.

I'm not sure the railway is still in operation as when we last visited in the 1990s there was no sight of any wagons or anything else.*

I first spotted the system in 1979 (I think) but wasn't able to get a picture until the 1980s

I've a couple more shots of loose wagons being loaded.

Re Volcano. I might have a very long shot across the bay of Naples but the Circumvesuviana would be an unrecognisable minute speck in the landscape! :jester:

Cheers

Keith

Edit

*Pictures on Flickr show that it was still in operation in 2009

Edited by melmerby