The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

WAGR S Class 4-8-2 S549 Greenmount under restoration at WA Rail Heritage in Bassendean a  couple of Months ago.

It's being restored for Mainline use by the Wheatbelt Rail Heritage Group with backing from 3 Local Shires for use on tourist trains throughout the West Oz  Wheatbelt. These S classes were all named after WA Mountains.

post-23233-0-84186600-1504856633_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

When I started this thread I was hoping it would be light-hearted and we would see photographs from many people.   It did get many contributors.

Since starting the thread a certain member has continuously complained about my pictures with references to them 'not what was asked for'.  Yet similar photographs from others are 'okay'.

I  shall no longer post anymore pictures here.

• RMweb Premium

This is the best I can do

No 813 being restored in the open on the SVR in the early 1970s behind 3205.

post-6208-0-27000300-1504857171_thumb.jpg

(I thought I had a close up of 813, complete with donations bucket, but can't find it!)

It shows the primitive conditions in the early days. The site was open to the public when it wasn't operating and you could just wander around. There were no staff to be seen anywhere

You couldn't do that today with all the vandalism and theft. Note the buffer just sitting on the ground.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Back in 2003 on my 'Grand Tour' I happened to arrive at Interlaken Ost on a Friday and that coincidentally was the day the local preservation centre - in a large wooden shed not far from the station - was open to visitors.  Some years later the shed burnt down and I don't know what happened to the things it had housed (I expect Eddie B does?).  But here we are almost exactly 14 years ago -

post-6859-0-44093700-1504865819_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-21448000-1504865828_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-85924700-1504865835_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Back in 2003 on my 'Grand Tour' I happened to arrive at Interlaken Ost on a Friday and that coincidentally was the day the local preservation centre - in a large wooden shed not far from the station - was open to visitors.  Some years later the shed burnt down and I don't know what happened to the things it had housed (I expect Eddie B does?).  But here we are almost exactly 14 years ago -

It wasn't somewhere I'd visited (or been aware of before the fire), so I can only offer the report made on this site (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78722-fire-destroys-ballenberg-dampfbahn-depot/), which has a slightly happier recent update.

• RMweb Premium

Seems like good topic. I don't think I have that many to offer but there's this one and a couple more from the Bluebell which I'll upload later.

attachicon.gifNER cl Q6 080 2238 Grosmont 8 1989.jpg

I also have a picture of the Q6/T2 when it was being restored there, It must have been going on for a long time.

post-6208-0-72969300-1504869833_thumb.jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for your research. Phil

I assume it must one of the main depots on the GN line but I haven't managed to track down any matching pictures on the net.

Not an area I visited so I have no information of my own, unless it's in a book.

Keith

Here are a couple more of the QR heritage fleet at the Ipswich Workshops/Rail Museum.

This looks like the blue baby frame, a Tank engine that used to haul commuters around the Brisbane suburban network when I was a lot younger

post-28417-0-21766200-1504873185_thumb.jpg

I don't know what this frame is from but from the lack of apparent buffer mounts & the wide coupler?? slot at the end I suspect it may be a narrow gauge cane train

By narrow gauge I mean narrower than the 3'6" of QR's main lines

post-28417-0-30219500-1504873306_thumb.jpg

John

• Like 1

When I started this thread I was hoping it would be light-hearted and we would see photographs from many people.   It did get many contributors.

Since starting the thread a certain member has continuously complained about my pictures with references to them 'not what was asked for'.  Yet similar photographs from others are 'okay'.

I  shall no longer post anymore pictures here.

Two things I'd say:

1) Illegitimi non carborundum

2) Don't give 'em the satisfaction.

If you'd not started the thread, just think of the gems we'd not have seen!

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple more of the QR heritage fleet at the Ipswich Workshops/Rail Museum.

This looks like the blue baby frame, a Tank engine that used to haul commuters around the Brisbane suburban network when I was a lot younger

attachicon.gifIMG_0105 (1).JPG

I don't know what this frame is from but from the lack of apparent buffer mounts & the wide coupler?? slot at the end I suspect it may be a narrow gauge cane train

By narrow gauge I mean narrower than the 3'6" of QR's main lines

attachicon.gifIMG_0095 (1).JPG

John

The top one is definitely a DD17 - says so on the headstock if you look closely.  Here's one in one piece and seen from the opposite end (masquerading as a rather chubby 'Thomas' on the ZigZag Railway in NSW).

post-6859-0-36091300-1504887045_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Shunters

Another one from the line up of Locos sadly being readied for scrap at the back of the WAGR workshops in the mid 80's. Still in Larch green (The poor little thing never even got the chance to repainted into Westrail corporate orange !)

PS. It's a B class for those who are interested. One of the early batch that had straight cabsides rather than the sloped ones (in order to clear the cranes at the port) that the later versions had.

post-23233-0-20046200-1504921512.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

Here are a couple of photos I took last week while on holiday in North Devon.

Me and Mrs Rivercider spent an enjoyable day walking along part of the Tarka Trail and stopped twice at the old Torrington Station

which now has a cafe called the Puffing Billy Trading Company.

post-7081-0-47279500-1504931663_thumb.jpg

Progress formerly worked at one of the local clay  pits, 7/9/2017

post-7081-0-49959500-1504931818_thumb.jpg

This loco was new to the Llanelli Dock & Railway company and came here via  Chacewater I believe, 7/9/2017

cheers

• Like 3