The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

Isn't 2P a power classification rather than class?

As for Great Central locos in GC livery I doubt many people have photos from their own albums from the pre-grouping period. I have a fair selection of photos, which were produced in the 1920s, mainly as postcards, from a collection my father acquired. I wouldn't use them as they are published images not personal photos. They can be seen at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4063-great-central-railway-c1920s/

AFAIK the BR standards were known by their power classification e.g. what else is Riddles 9F known as (officially)

Haven't some of the pre-grouping locos been seen in their original liveries in preservation?

L&Y and CR locos were still known by their pre-grouping class "number" into BR days, so they would qualify.

Someone might have some photos.

(and a correction the 8K was an O4 not an O2!)

Eddie B's got the Idea

I get the impression people don't like the challenge because they don't have any entries!

All I wanted was locos/MUs whose class is a number (with or without a suffix) and in sequence from 1, 01 etc

Keith

(Technically LNER locos classes are alphabetical as they are A B C D etc, with each subdivision taking a number A1, A2, & B1, B2 etc. but lets go with it) 

EDIT e.g. DMU 150 001 is a class 150 and that's the number I wanted, not the 001 bit

Edited by melmerby

Former Yugoslav (JZ) 2-8-2 06-018, as preserved in the excellent museum at Ljubljana.

post-10122-0-89895900-1501786317_thumb.jpg

A similar loco (06-013), stored in Ljubljana at the time of the same visit (2002) went to the Bahnpark Augsburg in Germany. 

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 2

Is it bad form to try to keep the thread ticking over?

I don't think so Eddie, I think we've just done what We as Humans do best, over complicate things

(Unless I've misinterpreted you and thread and topic are not the same thing :O)

I can see what's behind the idea from the last few Alpha - Numeric Challenges.

It's an attempt to keep everybody happy and it gives everybody a shot at posting a photo, wherever they are from. (it was fun but I think we are running out of those kind of challenges)

But maybe We could just go back to the simple original format where you pick the next subject and that's it.

Yes you might get a run of British outline and then a run of "foreign" but I think generally most folk made an effort to keep it open to everyone, besides those chaps who did have a sook have taken their bat and ball and gone. I like the topic, it gives Me a chance to have a sticky beak at pictures of railways that you may not see anywhere else.

Edit - A downside to the original format, is that sometimes in the rush to "Win the Next Challenge" that We might see a picture of a "Blue Engine" but very little info to go with it, apart from the next challenge. I'd like to see a bit more info, when and where if possible, anything that sets the subject matter apart from others like it and any points of interest. It doesn't have to be super professional like Phil's lovely pictures with captions already embedded, just a few lines.

I'm keen to see a variety of things as we have already, but I'd like to know a bit more about the subjects.

But what ever form the thread ends up taking, I'd like to see it continue, I can look at my own horrible grainy pictures any time. :)

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Gold

Here's a former GCR for the 11 slot. I don't think I have used it before, but it seems to be the only class 11 I can find

post-14351-0-45237300-1501826165_thumb.jpg

Is 12 going to be as elusive?

Edit - yes I did use it before for South Yorkshire in the Shire counties challenge - sorry! Perhaps there's another 11 out there.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

A class 10 could have been this:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5725/22262336445_7574e7ec8c_b.jpg

(At Barrow Hill)

Blackstone engined 350hp shunter

Classified as TOPS class 10 but never given TOPS numbers before withdrawal.

4 preserved

Classes 11 and 12 also have examples preserved

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I don't think so Eddie, I think we've just done what We as Humans do best, over complicate things

(Unless I've misinterpreted you and thread and topic are not the same thing :O)

I can see what's behind the idea from the last few Alpha - Numeric Challenges.

It's an attempt to keep everybody happy and it gives everybody a shot at posting a photo, wherever they are from. (it was fun but I think we are running out of those kind of challenges)

But maybe We could just go back to the simple original format where you pick the next subject and that's it.

Yes you might get a run of British outline and then a run of "foreign" but I think generally most folk made an effort to keep it open to everyone, besides those chaps who did have a sook have taken their bat and ball and gone. I like the topic, it gives Me a chance to have a sticky beak at pictures of railways that you may not see anywhere else.

Edit - A downside to the original format, is that sometimes in the rush to "Win the Next Challenge" that We might see a picture of a "Blue Engine" but very little info to go with it, apart from the next challenge. I'd like to see a bit more info, when and where if possible, anything that sets the subject matter apart from others like it and any points of interest. It doesn't have to be super professional like Phil's lovely pictures with captions already embedded, just a few lines.

I'm keen to see a variety of things as we have already, but I'd like to know a bit more about the subjects.

But what ever form the thread ends up taking, I'd like to see it continue, I can look at my own horrible grainy pictures any time. :)

I tried to come up with a challenge that wasn't too easy and might bring out some more unusual pictures but it seems many are easily defeated and start wingeing.

If they can't post a picture of a Big Blue diesel or a Big Green kettle they are disappointed.

I've easily found examples on line which photographers may well have in their album. (see my previous post)

I was hoping for a few more foreign locos as "numbered" classes are common.

(I didn't really want to see A4 or J39 etc as I wanted the class to start with the number but it might as well carry on!)

BTW I probably won't be putting up any entries myself as I haven't got much that qualifies!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

A class 10 could have been this:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5725/22262336445_7574e7ec8c_b.jpg

(At Barrow Hill)

Blackstone engined 350hp shunter

Classified as TOPS class 10 but never given TOPS numbers before withdrawal.

4 preserved

Classes 11 and 12 also have examples preserved

Keith

Or pre-preservation, a class 10 working at Felixstowe Docks.

post-10122-0-13225500-1501831532_thumb.jpg

I have pictures of the preserved classes 11 and 12 - but will leave it open as one class 11 is on the Severn Valley Railway (hint, hint).

• Like 1

A selection of 11s and 12s.

England

As Keith says, there are preserved examples of classes 11 and 12.  I feel I'm encroaching on SVRLad's territory with this shot of 12099 taken at Bewdley.

post-10122-0-29776800-1501850253_thumb.jpg

15224 is the only remaining example of the class 12, based at Tunbridge Wells on the Spa Valley line.

post-10122-0-28158800-1501850252_thumb.jpg

Europe

Former JZ 11-015 used to be plinthed at the main station in Zagreb, Croatia (the loco is now in the nearby museum, while a much older 0-6-0 is displayed in the same place).  It is of the same design as the Hungarian (MAV) 4-8-0 424 class, this particular loco carrying blue livery from when it was in special service to pull Marshal Tito's train.

post-10122-0-58797800-1501848586_thumb.jpg

By contrast, SNCB 1207 was one of twelve 12 class locomotives, a dual-voltage version of the class 21 for working into France.  These locomotives had a fairly short working life in Belgium (1986-2012) and have been sold on to an operator in the Czech Republic.  1207 is seen at Kortrijk in 1997.

post-10122-0-34975100-1501848554_thumb.jpg

Of course SNCB also had another 12 class - the streamlined "Atlantic" type (4-4-2, the last of that type to be built).  One of these has been preserved, previously at the CF3V museum at Treignes, but now in the gloom that is Train World at Brussel-Schaerbeek (complete with worse "smoke effects" than certain nameless model magazines).

post-10122-0-11087300-1501850479_thumb.jpg

Africa

Painted in the grey livery of the Kenya Uganda Railway, no. 327 belonged to East African Railways class 11.  The 2-6-2T locomotive is seen at the railway museum in Nairobi in 1980 (where it still resides).

post-10122-0-24284700-1501848576_thumb.jpg

A much travelled locomotive, CFM (Moçambique) no. 492 was acquired from Rhodesia Railways (without renumbering).  Built by North British in 1927 as RR 8th class, it was rebuilt into the 12A class in Bulawayo (in 1944).  For the initial years of its operation, the railway in Swaziland was worked by CFM (to exploit the mines at Ka Dake and provide transfer to the port at Maputo/Lorenço Marques), and 492 was based at the depot at Sidvokodvo.  Its regular duty was shunting at Matsapa, where I found it so engaged in August 1977.

post-10122-0-22790200-1501848575_thumb.jpg

Now what next? Oil burning DB Pacifics (class 012), the preserved B12 (as we seem to have a few LNER locos).  Or shall we go to 13?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree, I think you have filled up the 11s and 12s!

As you say there are plenty around SAR also had a class 11, a 2-8-2, in operation until 1975

So onto 13, again there is a UK type which should be readily available. (Think Tinsley)

Keith

A selection of 11s and 12s.

England

As Keith says, there are preserved examples of classes 11 and 12.  I feel I'm encroaching on SVRLad's territory with this shot of 12099 taken at Bewdley.

attachicon.gifB10006b.jpg

15224 is the only remaining example of the class 12, based at Tunbridge Wells on the Spa Valley line.

attachicon.gif1D09028b.jpg

Europe

Former JZ 11-015 used to be plinthed at the main station in Zagreb, Croatia (the loco is now in the nearby museum, while a much older 0-6-0 is displayed in the same place).  It is of the same design as the Hungarian (MAV) 4-8-0 424 class, this particular loco carrying blue livery from when it was in special service to pull Marshal Tito's train.

attachicon.gifH90019a.jpg

By contrast, SNCB 1207 was one of twelve 12 class locomotives, a dual-voltage version of the class 21 for working into France.  These locomotives had a fairly short working life in Belgium (1986-2012) and have been sold on to an operator in the Czech Republic.  1207 is seen at Kortrijk in 1997.

attachicon.gifJ97016a.jpg

Of course SNCB also had another 12 class - the streamlined "Atlantic" type (4-4-2, the last of that type to be built).  One of these has been preserved, previously at the CF3V museum at Treignes, but now in the gloom that is Train World at Brussel-Schaerbeek (complete with worse "smoke effects" than certain nameless model magazines).

attachicon.gif3G5A2155.jpg

Africa

Painted in the grey livery of the Kenya Uganda Railway, no. 327 belonged to East African Railways class 11.  The 2-6-2T locomotive is seen at the railway museum in Nairobi in 1980 (where it still resides).

attachicon.gifM80028a.jpg

A much travelled locomotive, CFM (Moçambique) no. 492 was acquired from Rhodesia Railways (without renumbering).  Built by North British in 1927 as RR 8th class, it was rebuilt into the 12A class in Bulawayo (in 1944).  For the initial years of its operation, the railway in Swaziland was worked by CFM (to exploit the mines at Ka Dake and provide transfer to the port at Maputo/Lorenço Marques), and 492 was based at the depot at Sidvokodvo.  Its regular duty was shunting at Matsapa, where I found it so engaged in August 1977.

attachicon.gifC77010a.jpg

Now what next? Oil burning DB Pacifics (class 012), the preserved B12 (as we seem to have a few LNER locos).  Or shall we go to 13?

Nice shots Eddie, but with my pedant hat on the one of 12099 is at Kidderminster, not Bewdley.

Anyway, instead putting my travellers hat on I'm pleased that I'm not the only RMwebber that's visited Train World in Brussels. After visiting Highley signalbox, where my father was doing a shift that day, two of the founder members invited us back to Brussels for a VIP tour, which we received earlier this year as representatives of the SVR.

Sorry to go O/T gents.

Nice shots Eddie, but with my pedant hat on the one of 12099 is at Kidderminster, not Bewdley.

Anyway, instead putting my travellers hat on I'm pleased that I'm not the only RMwebber that's visited Train World in Brussels. After visiting Highley signalbox, where my father was doing a shift that day, two of the founder members invited us back to Brussels for a VIP tour, which we received earlier this year as representatives of the SVR.

Sorry to go O/T gents.

VIP tour - does that mean they switch the lights on properly?

Yes - you're right about it being Kidderminster (the start of the nameboard "KI.." on the original slide might be a clue!

I agree, I think you have filled up the 11s and 12s!

As you say there are plenty around SAR also had a class 11, a 2-8-2, in operation until 1975

So onto 13, again there is a UK type which should be readily available. (Think Tinsley)

Keith

Rhodesia had an 11th class 4-8-2, one of which is preserved in the museum at Bulawayo.  South Africa also had variations on class 12 - 12A, 12AR and 12R.  

My only picture of an SAR class 11 is in b&w, after preservation.  I hadn't intended to post but having dug it out, here it is - no. 942 at Witbank (from 1985, but it might still be there - edit: according to Google Streetview it still is: https://goo.gl/maps/pgsd88nxJmE2, but with image dated 2009).  Several were sold into industrial service and may have worked beyond 1975.

post-10122-0-99839900-1501856360_thumb.jpg

I'll hold off on my 41A pictures (again b&w only) and more exotic class 13s for the time being.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is this challenge is just too challenging?

Doesn't anybody apart from Eddie have anything to offer?

I would have thought a romp through the TOPS classes with some foreigners thrown in (especially later on or to fill in some gaps) would have produced plenty of pictures!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Is this challenge is just too challenging?

Doesn't anybody apart from Eddie have anything to offer?

I would have thought a romp through the TOPS classes with some foreigners thrown in (especially later on or to fill in some gaps) would have produced plenty of pictures!

Keith

How about tweaking the request but still keeping the number sequence going?

Any related picture beginning with or related to the number 13 (or class 13) - whether that's one of the Tinsley Twins or 1345 of the ABC class for example.

Next picture is anything beginning with or related to 14, etc.

So 20 could be a Class 20 023 or a 205 DEMU thumper for example. Or 20 examples of the same thing.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

What about those of us who like posting, and seeing, non loco photos? I haven't worked out a devious way to include any in this challenge yet ;).

That was the hope of my suggestion - it could be a coach or a wagon beginning with the requisite number , or even the route number of a bus on a bridge..........Cheers,

Mick