The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

Steamranger Heritage Railway's broad gauge (5'3") 4-6-0 Rx207 bowls along a few kilometres north of Goolwa, South Australia, with the afternoon return 'Southern Encounter' service from Victor Harbor to Mount Barker - 16 October 2016.

Rx207 was built by North British Locomotive Co of Glasgow and delivered to the South Australian Railways in December 1913 to an improved design based on the original R class delivered to the SAR by Dubs & Co in 1885.

post-4406-0-70593400-1501407144_thumb.jpg

S up next

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As we are near the end I can use the Southern Railway slot for this one, although I also have a couple of Zs, which I can't then use - decisions - decisions. I am sure there's continental Z somewhere

post-14351-0-17650500-1501418174_thumb.jpg

V might be a challenge or maybe not!

• Like 2

Ta Da :)

2-8-2 WAGR V Class

The Last class of Steam Engine constructed for the WAGR, they were built for the then Statewide 3' 6" gauge, but designed in such a way that they could be easily converted to Standard gauge, that was to be introduced in the late 60's.

24 Were ordered from Beyer and Peacock in Manchester who then subcontracted construction to Robert Stephenson's in Darlington.

All 24 were delivered by November 1956, they were the most powerful non - articulated Steam Engine on the network. They were a favorite locomotive with crews and soon found a home on especially on the heavy Collie coal trains.

With the blanket end of steam, they were all retired by 1972 (barely 16 years old), yet many of the 3'6" diesel locomotives that "immediately replaced" them, failed to pull the loads at the timings the Mighty V class could.

Edit - just to point out that although these were built with the ability to more easily convert these to S/G, it never actually happened and they remained 3'6" gauge.

post-23233-0-64296100-1501418578.jpg

W it is

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 3

Well we did have a British Railways IC125 - so I'd avoided Westerns and Warships.

Just when I thought all the possibilities were exhausted, along came the Silverton Tramway W class 4-8-2 no. 25, one of three (out of a class of four) to have survived.  Not a bad sized locomotive for a "tramway".

post-10122-0-63915400-1501428463_thumb.jpg

X doesn't have to be Chinese - but some of my favourites would duplicate railways already represented.  I have others, but let see what is forthcoming.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 3

attachicon.gifIMG_1948.JPG

Swedish class X40 EMU pulls out of Stockholm Central - May 2016

Next - Y

Hang on!  I posted a Swedish (SJ) class J to replace a LNER J15 (LNER having been "played" at A), so unless it's a Swedish private operator, your (lovely) photo is a foul!

Sorry, back to X.

• RMweb Premium

Hang on!  I posted a Swedish (SJ) class J to replace a LNER J15 (LNER having been "played" at A), so unless it's a Swedish private operator, your (lovely) photo is a foul!

Sorry, back to X.

Drat, missed the J class earlier... It is an SJ unit, so indeed back to X.

• RMweb Gold

Drat, missed the J class earlier... It is an SJ unit, so indeed back to X.

Probably we ought to go back to W, as I had missed the tiny IC125 hiding in the 'I' slot, when I skimmed through looking for BR locos. As they have moved on from Inter-City branding, I think of them a HST or 43s.

Depends, are we counting the current operator, or the originating company? The HST was in East Coast operation, rather than being BR operated.

Although I think the Rat under R would eliminate any further BR operated locomotives....

• RMweb Premium

Probably we ought to go back to W, as I had missed the tiny IC125 hiding in the 'I' slot, when I skimmed through looking for BR locos. As they have moved on from Inter-City branding, I think of them a HST or 43s.

No

It was operated by a private company not BR itself (albeit owned by the state!) so I would let your BR Warship stand.

They are still known as IC125s as well as HSTs, Class 43 wouldn't mean anything outside the railway world.

Edit forgot about the Rat

Keith

Edited by melmerby