The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

Well, Being even more pedantic it meets the original request of "cross-border stock at a frontier station* within the Schengen area"

It didn't say both countries had to be in the Schengen!

Keith

Not only that, whilst Switzerland isn't part of the Schengen Area, it is surrounded on all side by it, so in a manner of speaking is IN in the Schengen Area...  :jester:

• RMweb Gold
Just to be different a narrow gauge cross border train at Tirano, Italy, RhB station

Erm, strictly speaking Italy is, but Switzerland isn't in the Schengen area - but I'm not going to object to a lovely picture such as that!

Tirano is on Italy which is in the Schengen area and the RhB station is a frontier station in the traditional meaning of the term (i.e passports controls existed when the photo was taken (in 2003).  I also have a pic - not too good of the gate where teh RhB crsses teh border between Italy and Switzerland (aklthough i don't know if that is still there).

However as Switzerland is now in the Schengen Area (see link below) I'm not sure of 'frontier station' passport checks still take place at Tirano RhB station.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-countries-list/

It seems I'm not having a good day!

First of all, apologies to Mike - I wasn't aware that Switzerland had joined Schengen in 2008 (the last time I crossed the land border was when they still had separate controls).  But as I said earlier, I'm happy with the picture meeting the criteria.  That'll teach me to check the facts before commenting.

Secondly, as far as the Northern Belle, yes these are former Mk2 carriages refurbished "in Pullman style", so probably not meeting the requirements.

Apologies to one and all.  I need to go and lie down in a darkened room - but keep the safelight switched on!

• RMweb Gold

Not only that, whilst Switzerland isn't part of the Schengen Area, it is surrounded on all side by it, so in a manner of speaking is IN in the Schengen Area... :jester:

Hmm, was recently in Basel (if your German or Swiss) or Basle (if your French).

It's an oddity, in that it's a city in three countries.

I was working on the German side, took a train to the Swiss side, to get the airport bus to the French side..

Whilst they might be in Schengen, the bus ride goes up a road heavily fenced on both sides forming an international corridor thru French territory to the Swiss side of the Airport terminal. The main "E" road border is heavily checked and policed, and the airport drop off is also heavily fenced segregating France from Switzerland... it somewhat reminded me of Ukraines borders to Poland and Hungary.

That said, get off the bus walk in to the terminal and there's no barrier or segregation at all.. you can walk from France to Switzerland as many times as you like before check in, indeed if your flying Air Chance, you have no choice but to go to the EU side from the Swiss side, vice verse if your flying Swiss.

However the mockery continues.. once you've checked in, you have the choice of Swiss or French customs to scan your bag and check your passport... choose the Swiss route you get duty free, chose the French route.. you don't... after the shops you can once again move freely between borders "air side" of the terminal to get to your gate of choice.

For some reason much of the footfall seems to originate from the French side through the Swiss immigration and back to the French side after duty free... I wonder why... :-)..

The only difference between my 2016 visit and my 2003 visit is this time there's no one at the passport desk landslide checking as you move between Swiss Air and Air France checkin desks .. in 2003 it was an empty desk with no one there.. 2017.. the desk has gone, just a painted yellow line. The airside baggage scan and immigration border is still there... but you chose which country you wish to present to.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Of necessity, a preserved steam loco (or one from a tourist line),  SBB Ed2x2/2 7696 0-4-4-0T (Mallet),restored as Schweizer Centralbahn 196.  At an event at Bauma, October 2005.

post-10122-0-74064400-1497613072_thumb.jpg

Staying in Switzerland, we're on a roll (pause for effect) - the next will be a proper diesel locomotive (not a shunting tractor) on a standard gauge working.

• Like 2

No steam hauled milk train in BR times.    A wildcard

I did search through my photo collection for one, but could not find any even though I was sure that I had at least one. It does seem rather strange because they must have been photographed on a regular basis before the diesels took over.

Hardly the most riveting picture on this thread - a GER lamp hut at Westerfield, Suffolk (now long gone).

post-10122-0-91499000-1497705895_thumb.jpg

Staying with platforms and platform furniture - a loco plinthed on a station platform (not concourse).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not exactly on the platform, but not on a concourse. If one on an operational platform emerges, I shall be happy to give way!

post-14351-0-58927200-1497707602_thumb.jpg

A country or seaside terminus building, with the main buildings across the end of the platforms - please

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

About as devious as I can get! Watchet on 2nd August 1987. It's across the end of the platform, at the seaside, and was originally a terminus :).

post-7091-0-92921500-1497708677.jpg

Next, a narrow gauge station building.

• Like 2

Felixstowe (Town).  A view from 1977 - after rationalisation, but before the recent trucation of the line at the platform ends and conversion of station buildings into a shopping/visitor centre.

post-10122-0-06396200-1497709342_thumb.jpg

Next - a London terminus that has been extensively rebuilt - but before rebuilding...

• Like 1

Felixstowe (Town).  A view from 1977 - after rationalisation, but before the recent trucation of the line at the platform ends and conversion of station buildings into a shopping/visitor centre.

attachicon.gifPICS1735.jpg

This is not a response to the last request, and I have posted this photo elsewhere; but for comparison here is Felixstowe in happier times.

post-4474-0-74616100-1497710666_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A narrow gauge station building.

post-6831-0-40140600-1497713226_thumb.jpg

Tokyo central station. Maybe a little left-field as it is a mixed gauge station, with the standard gauge bullet lines, but the majority of lines here are 3'6".

I like the idea of the London Terminus that has been extensively rebuilt - but before rebuilding, so we'll stick with that.

• Like 1

I'm sure a 1950s view of Euston or Victoria would be more appropriate but this is at a London terminus and the area has been extensively rebuilt. 

post-4474-0-46393300-1497713978.jpg

Let's have any photo of a loco on a turntable next, please

• Like 1

Guest CLARENCE

Loco on a turntable; Badsworth on Ilkley turntable, 1950's. That's my Dad there, by the way! Not my own photo, one of F.W.Smith's from the Embsay and Bolton Abbey website. Hope I haven't caused any upset by displaying it here, but it is a picture of my Dad!

post-283-0-75244800-1497714570_thumb.jpg

next one of the great little trains of  Wales...

Edited by CLARENCE