The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

How about a Class 46 and 25 crossing at Ludlow racecourse? That's my good friend John Howles with his Austin Maxi - set up for some sound recording by the look of things

I have a feeling that John was a friend of my father as well. In his latter years I am fairly sure that they kept in touch by letter and John made the odd trip to see Dad in Oxford. Dad spent most of his childhood in Hereford and his parents lived there until the 1950s or early 60s, but I don't know where their paths crossed originally. 

Edit - following a bit of research in Dad's archive. My father's friend was in fact Tom Howls, a driver from 85C Hereford.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

Just as I was going to post a 59 at Mitre Bridge, for the wild card I'll have what I was going to ask for, a 58 on a passenger train.

post-9767-0-43700800-1496158037.jpg

Apologies for the quality, but I was walking across from Moor St to the office one morning early in 1989 when I saw this over the wall. Wires were down and diesels were hauling Euston trains to Nuneaton.

Next a loco in Banger Blue on a TOC-liveried train in privatisation

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

WCRC's 47270 "Swift" is on the back of a steam hauled tour in 2011 passing by my back door. You didn't say it had to be hauling it.................

post-408-0-74698500-1496182583_thumb.jpg

For some reason, they left the headboard on the back!

Having seen 46115 today on a railtour - how about a pre-preservation shot of a Royal Scot.

Cheers,

Mick

To the best of my knowledge, the last visit of a Jubilee to Blackpool.

Easter Monday 1967, a very smart Kholapur stands alongside the shed building at Blackpool (North) waiting to take an excursion back home to Leeds.

For a couple of years in the mid-60s a small group of enthusiasts, myself included, used to spend Saturday afternoons polishing any "interesting" locos that turned up on specials.  The shed stores issued us with cleaning rags, paraffin, etc. and provided step-ladders so we could do the job.  In return we were often allowed to drive the locos around the yard.  Jubilees, Scots & Britannias were favourites but nothing with a firebox was safe from our attention!

post-11812-0-23208400-1496189365_thumb.jpg

To follow  -  we've had Scots & Jubilees, so what about a Patriot in regular BR service in the 50s/60s.

• Like 5

That reminded me that I hadn't put some photos up on Flickr... but here is Galatea, having stopped for water whilst returning to Carnforth

34623075700_0cba5866ed_z.jpg

How about some steam on the Southern?? Preferably at speed, but I'm easy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This terrific shot was by W. Vaughan-Jenkins, who exchanged photos with Dad. I don't know whether they made any photographic or spotting trips together. This was from Dad's collection and I hope that I am not infringing anyone else's copyright by sharing it.

post-14351-0-61133700-1496248867_thumb.jpg

A diesel locomotive in the current Southern Railway franchise area please.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

how about 4 of them

next up a 67 on a freight train and this https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickwilcock/9489407308 doesnt count

5 years on from the incident 67002 is entering the gates at Clitheroe cement works to pick up the coal empties, but by the time it came out, it was too dark

post-408-0-87439000-1496265404_thumb.jpg

But here's 67024 with the empties to Healey Mills, a few weeks later.

post-408-0-90824600-1496265372_thumb.jpg

6+7=13. How about one of Tinsley's triplet of twins - 13001-13003?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

[quote name="newbryford" post="2740032" timestamp="1496265611How about one of Tinsley's triplet of twins - 13001-13003?

Cheers,

Mick

It is at times like these that I really cannot forgive my parents for throwing out my stuff without telling me!

Could've posted 4502 in green otherwise :(

• RMweb Premium

It is at times like these that I really cannot forgive my parents for throwing out my stuff without telling me!

Could've posted 4502 in green otherwise :(

Your parents are unforgiven.

You missed out on the bonus points that I forgot to mention for a green one. Even more bonus points can be earned if the picture is the original cab to cab setup.

Cheers,

Mick

Master/ Slave terminology is still in common use in engineering. Nothing non-pc about it when referring to machines.

As for the 13s, the slightly odd term I've heard for them is "cow & calf". Never Master/ Slave.