The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

I was looking for something more like this - although it is a bit of a mixture between a junction and a flat crossing.

attachicon.gifBR 4 6 2 70024 Vulcan Shrewsbury 20 4 1960.jpg

I had been thinking of Retford or Newark as plain flat crossings, but clearly had forgotten that they were just double track crossings.

Perhaps a wild card is called for?

That's much better but it still isn't a 'proper' flat crossing such as Retford or Newark - but better than other offerings.

• RMweb Premium

This is the best photo I can find on the net:

http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/21st_photo.jpg

Keith

Some Googles here of different flat junctions:

https://goo.gl/maps/gBDLG6Ht54R2

https://goo.gl/maps/t1CQueh2AmJ2

https://goo.gl/maps/cVpwoPbyzMQ2

All around Chicago

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Here's another famous flat crossing - at Hilal on the outskirts of Izmir, where the lines from the city's two termini cross at right angles.  It used to be a favourite spot for photographers in steam days, when it was out in the open, but now it has been encroached by the expanding city, a network of overhead walkways and an elevated metro line - all of which means that it is just about impossible to get decent shots of trains on the crossing any more.

post-10122-0-65011700-1493985308_thumb.jpg

So what is currently the plat du jour?  We've had some rather tenuous Greeks (I'm surprised at the lack of named locos such as Achilles, Python, Ixion), various flat crossings, a wildcard leading to a state capital (as opposed to a national capital) and a request for an X2000 set (I have photos in its native Sweden, but not on a World Tour) - I'm befuddled!

Ok, here's SJ X2 2022 at Eskilstuna in Fe-brrr-uary 2001 (not much like Brisbane).

post-10122-0-30562700-1493992273_thumb.jpg

Line drawn

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's go with a sort of wildcard next.  Can we please have something from someone who has posted less than five times in this thread?

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's wild card time? Here's a Great Western HST running on what is normally South West lines at Pirbright Junction (just west of Brookwood), due to Reading being closed.

17031764352_cb9efaed40_z.jpg

How about something else not where you'd normally expect it to see it.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's wild card time? Here's a Great Western HST running on what is normally South West lines at Pirbright Junction (just west of Brookwood), due to Reading being closed.

17031764352_cb9efaed40_z.jpg

How about something else not where you'd normally expect it to see it.

post-4474-0-08289900-1494190818_thumb.jpg

86238 at Brundall 1992

How about a photo with more than 7 locos in shot

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

57308 Tin Tin and 47786 at Glossop, 10th May 2009. 

post-9767-0-92232700-1494191206.jpg

Next up, let's have one taken in the under portion of a mechanical signal box, showing locking or cranks etc

Edit, Beaten to it. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

I didn't expect "take a photo and post it" would be a thread killer...

I am very lazy. I could have walked around the corner and taken a photo of Martin Murdoch's 5" gauge railway open day, or I could have sat at my desk and forged a view of it, by cutting and pasting an old view of an earlier open day on top of any photo taken today. That would have given an initial impression of a current photo when a quick glance would have shown today's exif info. But I did neither!

Next up, let's have one taken in the under portion of a mechanical signal box, showing locking or cranks etc

I've plenty of photos of cranks, but most are hanging out of the windows of 1980s-era excursions.

• RMweb Gold

Here you go SE - proper job locking ;)  Complete with some signal engineering folk looking at it or photographing it   (Bishops Bridge on the SDR during an IRSE visit)

post-6859-0-62386400-1494236866_thumb.jpg

And next - an unusual semaphore signal, could be one in a place you wouldn't expect to see a signal like that, could be a rare(ish) survivor of an earlier type, or have unusual arms that might be mismatched.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Annacotty (Ireland) Oct 2008.  Irish signals with combined home/distant arms, and one signal on RHS for sighting purposes

rev%20Annacotty%20signals%2028Oct08_zpss

A narrow-gauge (ie narrower than 4' 8.5") electric loco pls (with or without train)

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 1

There is an extensive network of 750mm lines serving the peat industry around Tootsi in Estonia (a place Al Jolson was only too happy to leave?).  Tracks in the fields tend to be laid temporarily while the peat is extracted.  The centre of operations has a small fleet of OHLE locomotives, such as this one.

post-10122-0-32383100-1494240033_thumb.jpg

Next - a before and after restoration project (two photos needed).

• Like 4

This should be "up my street" as McKenzie and Holland built a number of signal boxes for the Great Eastern Railway, furnished them with their lever frames, which operated M&H lower quadrant signals with distinctive finials.  Here is Attleborough signal box, as repainted back in LNER style, a couple of years ago.

post-10122-0-58893800-1494248885_thumb.jpg

However, I don't think the box was still "in active service" when I took that picture - so here's an older one of the distinctively propped up signal box at Shippea Hill - definitely in use in 1979 when this shot was taken.

post-10122-0-20524000-1494248886_thumb.jpg

Next - do we have any wider than standard gauge electric locomotives out there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This thread has gone a bit too specific in its "ask's" for my liking now!

Had someone not put a pic of a signal box I'd be asking what Mckenzie and holland was about now?

Anyway for the next pic I want a photo of a pink train with old style OHLE flashes with a mountain in the background with snow on, narrow gauge loco imported from Glasgow works between the dates of 1-7 th June 1903

And the drivers name must be Jeff, who owns a cat called tiddles

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This one might be pushing it a little; It's note quite a loco, but at 3' 6" it is technically wider gauge than the Manx standard of 3'.

Car number 5 on Snaefell summit:

post-7159-0-78313700-1494258017.jpg

If this is OK, lets have a photo of a railway line after it closed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This thread has gone a bit too specific in its "ask's" for my liking now!

Had someone not put a pic of a signal box I'd be asking what Mckenzie and holland was about now?

Anyway for the next pic I want a photo of a pink train with old style OHLE flashes with a mountain in the background with snow on, narrow gauge loco imported from Glasgow works between the dates of 1-7 th June 1903

And the drivers name must be Jeff, who owns a cat called tiddles

John McKenzie and Walter Holland were employees of the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway who in 1862 formed a partnership with Thomas Clunes who owned the Vulcan Iron Works in Worcester to manufacture an interlocking frame. They introduced their first power signalling in the UK in conjunction with Westinghouse Brake on the Great Eastern Railway in 1899. 

In 1901 they were involved with Saxby & Farmer, Evans O,Donnell, and Dutton in the Consolidated Signalling group. 1907 they formed McKenzie, Holland and Westinghouse Power Signal Company which provided signalling for the London Underground network.

In 1920 Westinghouse Brake acquired the interests of Consolidated Signalling and McKenzie & Holland became part of Westinghouse Brake and Saxby Signalling, although the McK & H name was used in Australia until the 1970s

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Next - do we have any wider than standard gauge electric locomotives out there?

post-6831-0-77179800-1494274092_thumb.jpg

Not an ideal picture, but this should fit the bill. A 5' gauge Finnish Sr2 at Helsinki back in 2009.

Stick with the railway line after it closed for the next picture.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 2