The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Romsey, although not quite in its original position.

Photo Matt Hurst (from our shared Flickr album)

post-6968-0-48550400-1493454417.jpg

Something else not in it's original position, a building or grounded rail vehicle :)

• RMweb Gold

This building was on Highbridge SDJR station until it closed. It was then sited on the primary school playing field next to Highbridge Vicarage, where I lived and which can be seen behind it, in the photo. I cannot see it from Google earth and wonder if it has been moved or scrapped.

post-14351-0-60954600-1493455086_thumb.jpg

A group of 4+ original pre-nationalisation railway signs - in preservation or in original location.

Edited by phil_sutters

This building was on Highbridge SDJR station until it closed. It was then sited on the primary school playing field next to Highbridge Vicarage, where I lived and which can be seen behind it, in the photo. I cannot see it from Google earth and wonder if it has been moved or scrapped.

attachicon.gifHighbridge station small building at school original drawing.jpg

A group of 4+ original pre-nationalisation railway signs - in preservation or in original location.

Well, almost 12 hours have passed since this weird instruction; so I will give you this as one of my first colour photos.

post-4474-0-03139200-1493494971_thumb.jpg

Can we now have an east coast terminus south of The Wash

I know this is a bit predictable, but my wife originates from those parts.

post-4474-0-03197400-1493564021_thumb.jpg

Dymchurch July 1978.

Hows about a photo with 8 or more semaphore signals in the image...

Edited to add that I mean 8 or more signal arms in the image.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

From Dad's negative collection - so no details apart from what can be seen. It looks like Temple Meads to me. The date is from the envelope in which the negatives were stored. Some do seem to have become misplaced, and so the date is not 100% reliable.

post-14351-0-93590500-1493583987_thumb.jpg

Have we a post WW2 UK train with a military cargo?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

From Dad's negative collection - so no details apart from what can be seen. It looks like Temple Meads to me. The date is from the envelope in which the negatives were stored. Some do seem to have become misplaced, and so the date is not 100% reliable.

attachicon.gifBR 4-6-2 73080 on an express in 1964.jpg

The date is probably about right. It was a Weymouth loco from 1958 to 1967. The shed code was changed to 70G in September 1963.

attachicon.gifBR 4-6-2 73080 on an express in 1964.jpg

Have we a post WW2 UK train with a military cargo?

It took me a long time trawling through my scans before I found one...

post-4474-0-04627900-1493626167_thumb.jpg

47110 at Cardiff Apr 1979.

• Like 4

Chinese train in Hong Kong

Keith

The train may be Chinese (is it one of the pig trains?) but the loco was part of the (Hong Kong) Kowloon-Canton Railway fleet.  It is still in service in Hong Kong having been transferred to the Mass Transit Railway (MTR).

No photos of Aussie steam working on the mainline - and most of my preserved steam is 3'6" or 5'3" gauge!

• RMweb Premium

The train may be Chinese (is it one of the pig trains?) but the loco was part of the (Hong Kong) Kowloon-Canton Railway fleet.  It is still in service in Hong Kong having been transferred to the Mass Transit Railway (MTR).

No photos of Aussie steam working on the mainline - and most of my preserved steam is 3'6" or 5'3" gauge!

IIRC It smelt a bit so could have been pigs! The train had not long crossed the border (we were at the last permitted station)

We did go into China but you could only go via Macao.

Thanks for info Re loco

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

IIRC the station was in the process of being upgraded for MTR(?) trains

This was the view in the other direction:

post-6208-0-50381200-1493664063_thumb.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

I'm guessing that you mean Sheng Shui, where the East Rail Line splits towards the border stations at Lok Ma Chau and Lo Wu.  If so, it looks rather different nowadays...

post-10122-0-65799200-1493670758_thumb.jpg

I found out afterwards that I'd made several journeys beyond "the last permitted station" - quite innocently I hadn't realised that my Tourist Card didn't allow travel beyond Sheng Shui.  Thankfully no-one seemed to mind, as long as I stayed on the train/platform at the border stations.

Sadly cross-border freight appears to be a thing of the past.

Still, we digress: waiting for Godot a working standard gauge Australian steam loco!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing that you mean Sheng Shui,

Yes, I think that was the one. It was 35 years ago.

Whilst we were in HK we decided to have a ride out into the countryside to see what it was like, stopping at a couple of stations.

It has changed a lot, Kai Tak was still the airport (what an approach!) and the island which is now where the airport is could only be reached by ferry.

Keith

May be not what you expected

post-28417-0-15531400-1493692102_thumb.png

Here's a different angle

post-28417-0-02646900-1493692122_thumb.png

Shot in Brisbane during its visit to Australia

Not quite on the mainline but only a few meters away

While we are in my part of the world how about something from NZ

John

• Like 5

Here is NZR class DB no. 1018 at Tahaipe in February 1987.  Built in 1965 by GM (Canada) as an A1A-A1A 3'6" gauge version of the G8 model, ten of the original seventeen locomotives were rebuilt by Clyde (Australia) as the DBR class.  The remaining unrebuilt locos did not survive long after this picture - final withdrawals taking place in 1989 - and probably explains why 1018 still carried the "old" livery.

post-10122-0-44534000-1493712039_thumb.jpg

Let's stay in the area - the next photo is of something in, or worked in (and has been repatriated from) an island of Oceania, or the Pacific Rim.

• Like 3