Hornby repairs

PeteN92

At one of the recent shows that my local club attended I was disappointed to find that my rebuilt BoB sir Keith Park had developed a stutter. I say a stutter but it could more accurately be described as the loco had been fed kangaroo juice. After having some investigations myself and other members of the club take a look at the loco, looking for common issues such as bent motion ect it was still not apparent as to what the issue was.

I didn't fancy taking apart this model myself as I felt it was out of my own skill set and although the model was 5+ years old it had barely been run due to my time away from the hobby.

I got in contact with Hornby over email who said that they could take a look and that although I was out of my warranty they would only need to charge me for parts if they were needed to fix the issue.

I sent off the loco and have now received it back within around 2 and a half weeks. According to the brief summary the issue stemmed from a broken double gear and now ashe runs beautifully. And best of all it only cost me the postage.

It's great to see that for as much stick that some manufacturers get that Hornby after all Thier recent troubles seem to be getting things right and going the extra mile for Thier customers even if the loco is out of warranty.

I just wanted to share this positive experience and wondered if anyone else has had dealings with Hornby's repairs team.

Pete

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 5 years later...

Stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Have a Hornby model purchased a week under 12 months ago. Recently noticed a fault with assembly and some decoration errors. Shop is refusing to accept a return (should have noticed it within 30 days) and Hornby a refusing to repair as they don't have body spares

Ideally I would get a refund and purchase model elsewhere, but I don't seem to have leverage on this.

And stupidly paid via Paypal so no section75 claim either.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My understanding of this may be incorrect, but when I worked in my retail job I'm sure the policy always was that in the first month (28 days sometimes) any issues should be dealt with with the retailer, and between a month and year you should go to the manufacturer but if they were unable to assist the retailer would be responsible for suitably redressing the issue (the retailer then solving the issue of the item on the backend with the manufacturer). Could have changed, could have been wrong all along but I'm sure that was what it was. 

• RMweb Gold

This is clearly an "inherent" fault — that is it was present when the model was manufactured. In consumer law it is the retailer's responsibility to repair or replace the item, or refund your money, in such cases. Any fault within the first six months is regarded as inherent unless the retailer can prove otherwise. From 6 months to 6 years (5 in Scotland), it is your responsibility to prove the fault is inherent. Beyond then, no chance.

If the retailer opts to refund, they can deduct a reasonable amount for the use you have had of the item. Also, they can only insist on a repair once; if there is a subsequent failure they must refund.

• Informative/Useful 1

As someone who is in the fortunate position these days to buy rather more models than I have the capacity to use, I have accepted that there is really an onus on me to check items and identify faults within a reasonable period (slow acting issues such as mazak-rot aside). I do check over and test models but that of course does not protect me against something that goes wrong after limited use albeit some years after purchase.
Amongst the issues I have had to deal with are a Bachmann Class 40 bought in 2014 that after being dug out in 2021 had developed a serious motor fault after virtually no running time at all. I ended up replacing the motor myself although in truth it had clearly been substandard at the outset.

I've just had to dismantle and replace the drive shafts in a Dapol Class 122 bought in 2020 and test run after purchase; on digging it out last month the known design fault with the drive had manifested itself and it was a non-runner. Clearly 'faulty' but I was not going to get anywhere after 2 years with either Hattons or Dapol. I still have an original issue Heljan Class 17 Clayton that has done a few loops but where I recognise that the motor may expire rapidly after any extended use.
So, harsh as it may seem, with this model I would be inclined to put it down to experience and either attempt a repair/remediation or sell 'as is' (where it will still attract a reasonable value) and purchase a replacement.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PM47079 said:

I had a 42xx I sent back to Hornby for repair as a screw had fallen out the valve gear. Loco repaired by them and sent back with no charge. Very happy with that 

Mechanical repairs both the retailer and Hornby can do (providing parts available)

Body repairs no can do as no spares held (compare with Bachmann, Dapol etc and its ridiculous to operate like this)

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Which loco was it ?

46235 City of Birmingham

Hornby get worse with every new issue. When was the last Loco issued to have any spares available at all ??. Nothing for the last two years or more have ever been available, as far as I can remember.

Getting impossible to get spares, for hardly any of their old or new products nowdays.

The obvious Hornby attitude have is, sell them quick, grab as much money for the customers as possible amd limiting production to ensure nothing is ever in stock after  afew weeks or less , and hard luck to customers in due course when they fall to bits, either due to poor quality, poor design or poor reliablity. Or a combination of all three.

Bachmann are virtually the complete oppositte in house spares department, with superb service and availabity of parts including chassis blocks etc etc..

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah I read it as the body, is it parts or paint damage ?

i had a faulty dublo duchess with a bodyside mark. Ended up sending it back, months later they offered me a partial refund to keep it.

ac models often handle Hornby rejects and are a good source for sold out bits.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

If they can't repair body damage don't they fall foul of recent laws on repairability?

I doubt it.

Fixing your washing machine by replacing its brushes, and replacing the exterior panels of it to remove a scratch are not the same thing, but its a similar comparison.

I do think that repairs is however a revenue opportunity.

Next few years were all going to hunker down on purchases and therefore maybe focus on looking after what we've got. Thats going to create an increasing spares demand.

Its noteworthy that no one* at Warley had a “returns” pile this year to gorge on… in the past everyone had something, and with a 2 year gap between Warleys the pile might have been expected to be larger, not absent….

That said, providing spares to allow repairs maybe in compliance with the law but not in spirit of its intentions… At £18.50 for 4x buffers for a Dapol 73 (£6.75 x2 + £5 p&p for 4) someone is clearly making a nice profit.

it would very soon be cheaper to buy and dismantle a second hand 73 off ebay for c£70.

https://www.petersspares.com/Dapol-1109871-class-73-oo-gauge-buffers-oval-red-pair.ir

* Oxford had a basket of basket cases.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I miss the old company down south that did tons of Hornby spares at very reasonable prices and their service was superb, forgot the name though. They advertised in the Railway Modeller mag every month.

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

I miss the old company down south that did tons of Hornby spares at very reasonable prices and their service was superb, forgot the name though. They advertised in the Railway Modeller mag every month.

Brit15

East Kent Models 😀

they retired years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

East Kent Models 😀

they retired years ago.

The shop closed and they no longer have the big Hornby spares stocks but 'EKM exhibitions' are still going:

https://www.ekmexhibitions.co.uk/

Before them, Blackwells of Hawkwell was the go-to place for Triang and Hornby spares, they regularly bought the factory surplus of obsolete model parts and so sold 'new' old stock Triang-era parts into the 90s

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

EKM service and stock was superb.

They must have know or suspected  that Hornby were winding down the supply of spares, when they closed down, and sold the stock onto Peters Spares. Within a couple of years virtually nothing available, and now much worse.

Thank you for your kind comments: we did our best from 1994 to the end of 2016 having taken over from Kingcraft but as has been said, the relationship with Hornby was changing and sourcing spares was becoming ever more fraught.  However, passing the baton to Peters Spares was purely the desire with serious illness in my immediate family not to work in to my 70th year, nothing more, nothing less.  My erstwhile colleagues now EKMexhibitions have recently made the same decision to gradually call it a day.

• Friendly/supportive 10

On 17/12/2022 at 14:33, micklner said:

EKM service and stock was superb.

They must have know or suspected  that Hornby were winding down the supply of spares, when they closed down, and sold the stock onto Peters Spares. Within a couple of years virtually nothing available, and now much worse.

East Kent Models closed. EKM Exhibitions are still going strong. It's wise to use the full name of the former, in case people think the latter has closed instead!

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2022 at 20:49, Going Spare said:

Thank you for your kind comments: we did our best from 1994 to the end of 2016 having taken over from Kingcraft but as has been said, the relationship with Hornby was changing and sourcing spares was becoming ever more fraught.  However, passing the baton to Peters Spares was purely the desire with serious illness in my immediate family not to work in to my 70th year, nothing more, nothing less.  My erstwhile colleagues now EKMexhibitions have recently made the same decision to gradually call it a day.

I think I cleared out your stocks of Triang/Hornby Flying Scotsman rods/valve gear & cylinders. I boxed them up and sold them on eBay as repair kits at 100% mark up. Funded the early part of my return to modelling from 2009 😀

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2022 at 08:07, adb968008 said:

I doubt it.

Fixing your washing machine by replacing its brushes, and replacing the exterior panels of it to remove a scratch are not the same thing, but its a similar comparison.

I do think that repairs is however a revenue opportunity.

Next few years were all going to hunker down on purchases and therefore maybe focus on looking after what we've got. Thats going to create an increasing spares demand.

Its noteworthy that no one* at Warley had a “returns” pile this year to gorge on… in the past everyone had something, and with a 2 year gap between Warleys the pile might have been expected to be larger, not absent….

That said, providing spares to allow repairs maybe in compliance with the law but not in spirit of its intentions… At £18.50 for 4x buffers for a Dapol 73 (£6.75 x2 + £5 p&p for 4) someone is clearly making a nice profit.

it would very soon be cheaper to buy and dismantle a second hand 73 off ebay for c£70.

https://www.petersspares.com/Dapol-1109871-class-73-oo-gauge-buffers-oval-red-pair.ir

* Oxford had a basket of basket cases.

My 'basket case' sound fitted J27 proved to be bargain at £80. Chip and sound is fine and the 'motor turns but loco doesnt move' was the drive gear not being pushed fully onto its locating spline on the axle. 

• RMweb Gold

I've no idea whether model railways are subject to the laws on repairability or not, but those laws don't always help as much as you think. Apple now comply, but the snag is:

1. You need a special tool to get inside.
  2. You either have to buy this (very expensive) or Apple will rent it to you (for a price, naturally).
  3. The upshot is, according to Which?, that it actually costs more to repair it yourself than to get Apple to do it for you.

Other makes of laptop, phone and tablet are available. Some recent laptops are even designed to be easy to service…

Hornby used to be excellent, once upon a time, but now seem to have a lot of problems. Dapol seem to be doing reasonably well, and Bachmann are now excellent. I've no idea what the spares policies of Accurascale, Rapido and the other newer manufacturers are.

Bachmann do have the advantage of owning their own production facilities.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Aren't models sold as "toys" and therefore only have to be warranted for 90 days?  I know some manufacturers offer longer.

I would suspect all the model railway manufacturers go to great lengths to avoid being classified as 'toys' in terms of CE/CA approval, due to use of small parts, for example.

Anyways, Hornby warranty in the UK is 12 months I'd be 99% sure all others are the same or better.

Edited by spamcan61

Back in the 90s, the Hornby spares list was comparatively small compared to now as a lot of models used the same parts between them, even wheels, whistles and buffers and there were around 50 to 60 parts per model loco.

Today there 200+ parts per model loco with parts being done only for that model. You can still get spares but not constantly.

When Heljan refreshed their class 33, I brought every spare part they was selling, because I've a fleet of them. They sold out since.

When my APT blew a capacitor that melted a hole through the APT power car roof, Hornby did a great job fixing it. But this was only 2 months after release. I guess it would be harder now. I replaced the caps with better quality ones.

I think overall my loco fleet is saturated, so little used. But I'm probably going to buy fewer locos moving forwards. Do I need to repair anymore? not for now. As new locos are still coming on board faster than those which breakdown. In fact I've retired more models just simply because they look outdated while still running ok.

For small bits that drop off, either I make a new part or buy a white metal kit part out there.

• Like 1