Little Muddle

KNP

1 minute ago, grahame said:

Yep, very neat and tidy. That chap can't spend much time sitting on the bench and is presumably continually tending his crops.

Well he definitely isn't watering them as there's no dipping tank. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

Couldn’t possibly answer about the dipping tank as I am out re-grouting our patio as it is dry…….for the moment!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Or the harbour or is it a salt water inlet.

Be a bit salty, saves putting salt on your chips though...

I think the shedmaster gets a couple of lads to hold the water crane bag up and squeeze the end while he turns the water on, might spray far enough...

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Lets see how they are getting with the engine shed door?

Hmmmm

I think we have our answer!

5868.jpg.80f860c00824501369f838b90881f305.jpg

Even the Pannier's popped out to have a looksee....

Has the shed door incident been explained and I’ve missed it? Looking at the door and shed wall, the hinge is bent at the top suggesting that is where the impact was, yet if caused by a pannier tank (presumably) the buffers extend furthest forward so the impact should have been near the bottom of the door. Or am I just overthinking it…?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Yes it has. A quick update my Grandson, Bradley, was playing trains a couple of years ago and shunted a loco into the then fixed door. He leaned the broken off door against on the side of the shed and told me about it. I decided to turn the whole thing into this cameo by making it look like it had fallen off and workmen had arrived to fix it. Been part of this layout ever since and has given much amusement since (well to me that is not sure about the rest of you....)

It will be interesting to see what is living under the shed door when/if they finally move it/re-hang it/burn it.  Maybe this is where the search for Lord Lucan ends ?  Holed up in Little Muddle for the past 50 years (time travel is a allowed)

Personally I think it will be a travesty of gigantic proportions, if the gang ever re hang the door.  They have spent a few years discussing the job.  We do not want them to rush it.      

• Like 4

Just now, Gopher said:

It will be interesting to see what is living under the shed door when/if they finally move it/re-hang it/burn it.  Maybe this is where the search for Lord Lucan ends ?  Holed up in Little Muddle for the past 50 years (time travel is a allowed)

Personally I think it will be a travesty of gigantic proportions, if the gang ever re hang the door.  They have spent a few years discussing the job.  We do not want them to rush it.      

Or it could be the missing fox???

Before all this happened I removed a fox from my 2018 Cakebox Challenge 'Long Walk Home' and put put it on the layout

Where I don't exactly know as I have never seen it since but then they are shy animals I suppose!

• Like 6
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, KNP said:

CC7 S&W installation - Part 1 & Part 2

Thank you Kevin, that was education.  I have a trial pack of S&W couplings that I've been looking for the bravery to tackle.

Do you have any words of wisdom to share in regards to S&W's on locos or bogie stock?

After fitting the coupling, have you ever found them to be at incorrect heights? Or is there some trick to ensuring correct coupler height before gluing everything?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, aardvark said:

Thank you Kevin, that was education.  I have a trial pack of S&W couplings that I've been looking for the bravery to tackle.

Do you have any words of wisdom to share in regards to S&W's on locos or bogie stock?

After fitting the coupling, have you ever found them to be at incorrect heights? Or is there some trick to ensuring correct coupler height before gluing everything?

Glad the S&W posts where of use.

Words of wisdom - make a lead wagon, in my case the single plank wagon as it was small and easily handled, and use that to check every piece of rolling stock from there on in. That way they should all work.

Be prepared to do some work to the chassis to get the coupling to fit, check each stage as there are some wagons with different heights to the buffer beam, wheels, chassis construction etc.

There will be instances where its difficult to fit these couplings, like on a bogie wagon so I just do a coupling loop and have to think about the running order.

All loco's have loops only.

Hope this helps and if you need any more information give us a shout.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I do like to see them with paint on, it really brings out the details

I only use an airbrush because any painting I do by hand looks like I’ve used a worn out wire brush whilst blindfolded

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I do like to see them with paint on, it really brings out the details

I only use an airbrush because any painting I do by hand looks like I’ve used a worn out wire brush whilst blindfolded

I use a wide (10mm) soft artists brush and always paint in one direction, normally vertically

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, aardvark said:

I built a simple jig using scraps of wood and plastic to check S&W coupling height. There is a groove just visible to set the angle of the coupling. The trusty J72 is having the height of its loop set.

20231009_194430.jpg.a1549962b106004dc7553f92487aa737.jpg

Hope this is of use.

I also find a master wagon useful for small changes.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, mullie said:

Hope this is of use.

Ah, the penny final drops.

The loop can be bent up or down to set the height of the bar. I'm presuming that the hook can be similarly bent.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1