Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, KNP said:

ALL ABOARD

5721.jpg.ee3163bb832f05d61a1f7837181bb444.jpg

Can you stop shouting, it's a bit to early for that... and are we going on an outing?

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

So what colour is paraquat weathering?

Anything you like, let your imagination run wild!!!

You’ll have to weed that comment out ….

Bit of a killer one if you ask me!!!

😉😉

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

So what colour is paraquat weathering?

Paraquat is actually a suitably terrifying bright green, but it wasn't discovered until about 1950 and came into use in 1962.

Around 1932, the first synthetic weedkiller appeared in the US, 2 - methyl - 4, 6 - Dinitrophenol. 

Other synthetic weedkillers were developed during the second world war, but for the UK in the late l930s the most likely is Sodium Chloride.

Basically salting the ground using a very strong salt solution suspended in water. Which would explain the lack of gloves and gas masks worn by the operators. 

Edited by MrWolf
General illiteracy
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Going back a few days in subject matter as I had not caught up until today. 

There are several 4mm motor BSA bikes with sidecars in the Oxford Miniatures OO range at reasonable prices. 

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/bsa-motorcycle-sidecar-aa-76bsa001.

One or two would be the most you could use on a small layout.  Oxford used printed clear plastic to replicate the spokes.  I have two I think from when I modeled Padstow fairly close to prototype. They are put away as the scale difference with my HO layout seemed to be magnified over other UK vehicles I have used as background vehicles on the current Port Costa California layout.  Anyway, the RAC parked on the out of the way single street (It is in a deep narrow valley) of Port Costa would be a little out of place. Sidecar would be on the wrong side too...

It will be interesting to see what the Modelu3D scan comes up with.  For a model, I think the best pose without a sidecar would be a rider stopped with one leg on the ground or a bike without rider and the kickstand down. 

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

You'd definitely get away with that on a prewar layout. The bike is fitted with girder forks, (Two sets of thin tubes going down to the front wheel, rather than one thick one each side) BSA stopped fitting those at the end of 1946, going over to a telescopic fork until the end in 1973.

1941-bsa-w-m20_2.jpg.4b13f524ba552e8ab24077cdf661bb0b.jpg

National motorcycle museum

Edited by MrWolf
Picture didn't load.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

That’s looking really convincing. ,

I wonder if your completed weedkiller train will be available for hire , I would be interested if it could spray a pesticide to keep my woodlice under control !

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That’s looking really convincing. ,

I wonder if your completed weedkiller train will be available for hire , I would be interested if it could spray a pesticide to keep my woodlice under control !

Of course but I think they might derail the train due to their relative scale sizes…..

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

Are you going to include the jubilee clips holding the hose on. If so one will need to be 'adjustable' otherwise you won't be able to separate the tenders. Just make certain the screwdriver's not oversize otherwise you'll knacker the notch for it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1