Little Muddle

KNP

Hmmm .... very interesting. Very very interesting.

I see from the internet that the Brill mill last ground grain in the 1920's, was in some state of disrepair when bought for £37 in 1927, and lost two sails in a gale in 1947.  So it seems Kevin may be replacing his derelict house with a derelict mill.

I'm looking forward to that. Don't think I've every seen a derelict mill modelled before.

And Kevin does derelict so well.

Edit:

I hasten to add that there's trouble at mill as two sails need to be replaced at a cost of £20,000, which the good people of Brill are fund raising for.

I'll will have to make a donation.

Edited by aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

7 hours ago, lmsforever said:

You dont argue with them people from Brill on the hill them be strange so dont go to Brill on the hill alone dont argue with the people from Brill on the hill , but its a nice place to visit. Of course you could go there by train from Quainton Rd but it left you with a  long uphill walk to the village, but plenty of pubs for you to but as I have said dont upset them people from Brill on the hill especialy if youm from Aylesbury .

One of my first plans for what became LM was to model the Brill tramway.

I have books and even drew up a crude plan of the proposal, drove around the area to get a feel for the area but decided against it as I hadn't enough track length or correct orientation to do it justice. 

So LM was borne on a truncated version of Shipton-on-Stour then modified over the years!!!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Oh dear I seem to ruffled some feathers in declaring that the derelict house didn't sit right with me. It wasn't the standard of modelling that I was commenting on, which is excellent, but rather its inclusion. Anyway anything that gives young Kevin to demonstrate is superior modelling skills I'm all for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, KNP said:

Quiet day on the main platform at LM where people go about their normal duties little aware of the chaos about to be wrought further down the line.......

Lull before the storm time

4903.thumb.jpg.70a69210d592e99a5375073d5d7b7895.jpg

Duncan Bisketts looking very formal and the 'Family with no Name' just.......well waiting and chatting 

Ah, look at all the LM people

Eleanor Digby
Sits on the platform with husband and bairn
Lives in a dream
Waits for the next train
Wearing the hat that she keeps in a box by the door
Who is it for?

All the LM people
Where do they all come from?
All the LM people
Where do they all belong?

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3

15 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh dear I seem to ruffled some feathers in declaring that the derelict house didn't sit right with me. It wasn't the standard of modelling that I was commenting on, which is excellent, but rather its inclusion. Anyway anything that gives young Kevin to demonstrate is superior modelling skills I'm all for.

No feathers ruffled here: just expressing a different viewpoint.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

52 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Eleanor Digby
Sits on the platform with husband and bairn
Lives in a dream
Waits for the next train
Wearing the hat that she keeps in a box by the door
Who is it for?

All the LM people
Where do they all come from?
All the LM people
Where do they all belong?

I like that.

Maybe it's the Digby family. Mother: Eleanor Digby. Father: Digby Digby. Child: Minor Digby.

Bet they've got a dog too.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

My vote is the land grab. It would be sheer vandalism to destroy any of those areas earmarked as potential sites. 

Surely there would be bye laws to prevent it.  Besides if you laid waste to the woods where would poacher Pete get his meat or the derelict building. I mean many little muddle families probably started in the courting couple towers and how could you even think of making all those sheep homeless. Shame on ewe sir.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, KNP said:

Now back to the windmill……..

Being serious now!

So are you sitting comfortably, good, then I will begin.

I have identified a likely area,

FDD5ECA1-CE34-4FE5-9B84-F2B585E66FD6.thumb.jpeg.d91b7c06640edd17d7d8d69faa8c9d85.jpeg

Either the field with the sheep in, woods or grounds of the derelict house.

Now a windmill is normally though not always is located on the highest point in the area but certainly facing the prevailing winds.

In the UK it is from the South West making the winds head North East across the country so if I state that the siting of the windmill is facing the SW but not on the highest ground that should be fine and satisfy those of nervous dispositions.

Brill windmill itself sits on the West side of the common facing mainly to the West but with a view to the SW and the village is behind it (S to SE ish)and slightly higher…..!

So plans are afoot and the current contender is to remove the derelict house and the woods, keep the old tin shed with the broken tree branch on and site the Windmill on a raised ground area where the house was with a revised drive

I could then relocate the house in the wood area or just store.

The thought is I no longer need such a large control panel as I now use a handheld controller so could I do a land grab and pinch some of the green baize area and condense it.

Thoughts and ideas to ponder on.

Is there space for the mill if you clear some of the trees against the backdrop in the corner?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This mill stood near where I grew up, although it looks like something from S.E. England it was in LNW/GC territory.

It hadn't been used since 1895 and burned down in 1945, only the stone base remains, surrounded by trees.

woodhouse-eaves-the-windmill-c1940_w367301_large.jpg.6944758483ea58382176dc7b508be6f5.jpg

84d41a5b26d365015900619.jpg.550f9d8004f2852946057377fd0b62f8.jpg

84d04b5af68dda019348809.jpg.057db8075372f3a29eb36f99eef5f976.jpg

84d04b5dc0de28223798086.jpg.68f5cb9009160763daf924e52d1e0ab4.jpg

Leicestershire-Windmill-Woodhouse-Eaves.jpg.d1f8836d1bc9ad11e2c773f045df7878.jpg

I've often thought that it would make a nice model as its very simple.

Sorry to thread hog, I just got all inspired....

I like this one, not far from where I grew up:

256px-%27Creek%27_King%27s_Mill_windmill
'Creek' King's Mill windmill at Shipley, West Sussex, England 01
Acabashi, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

It even had it's 15 minutes of fame, as the home of 'Jonathan Creek' 

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 6

That's a very fancy bit of woodwork! There's something similar near Pilling, Lancs, IIRC.

Nope, turns out that it's in white painted brick with a wooded cap, but it does have the large wooden platform at second floor level.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 2

To warm to work in the railway room, so been having a doodle day.....

First you need to have an idea what you have to work with so.....

As the Squadron Leader was busy to day I grabbed a chair and did my own aerial survey.

W1.thumb.jpg.c116066ff94f9f6db360b4d86496bad3.jpg

No mean feet this achievement ....... !!

To remove all unwanted sights I employment the cloning tool from Affinity copying the carpet I came up with this work area

W3.thumb.jpg.6eaf47d2b2dde99dbe45f43b2d723534.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

First thoughts, and that's what they are but by doing this you get a 'feel' for the works needed.

From these beginnings mighty oaks will grow and from this day forth the land will prosper and grow to fruition

Onwards, forever onwards we stride to success....?

W4.thumb.jpg.1b4dae1daf44f3bda92feabf4345dc84.jpg

Well enough of that, blame it on the heat

Windmill location not looking right so forward we go.....no..no..no.. enough of that.

Back to the drawing board.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I have just been reading a bit about windmills. It turns out that there were quire a few around here, including a number of 'Wind Engines' along the stations of the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway - presumably as water pumps

These mills were designed by John Wallis Titt and erected by his Woodcock Iron Works. Which I'm sure will set the average 11 year old schoolboy into a fit of giggles...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

50 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

The problem with modelling a windmill is getting the fine details right on the parts that actually catch the wind and so provide the motive power.

That won't be plain sailing.

grr9a8b0dov31.jpg.b27bf43cb9bc8b605a9ae3d079c6c5d7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

W4.thumb.jpg.1b4dae1daf44f3bda92feabf4345dc84.jpg

... Windmill location not looking right so forward we go.....no..no..no.. enough of that.

Back to the drawing board.

Nothing above strikes me as being 'wrong' or unnatural. But if you don't like it, perhaps if you swopped the cottages and the windmill? You lose the high ground but some windmills were built near or to replace watermills - which obviously would be by the river. 1:76 road access would be easier - though your access into the corner would be more difficult. Traditional design would place the mill in the corner, though that might look a bit hackneyed. If you did locate it there though, that would free up the foreground for something new, whether cottages and or something else. Anyway, it's too hot for thinking. I'm sure whatever you go with, it'll look good. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just a note on your introductory chat about prevailing wind:- all windmills (and windpumps) generally have a means of rotating the sails (horizontally) to catch the wind, whatever its direction. Sometimes done by turning the cap, sometimes, as in a post mill, by turning the whole body.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I don't know much about windmills, although I've experienced a bit of wind in my time.

I'd have thought that the mill would be on a bit of a rise, but be clear of trees, as these would mess with the wind. Perhaps the grassy knoll would be the place for the sheep, thereby suggesting a more wholesail shuffling of the region.

Edit:

The idea to motorised is good too. Then, in the summer, you could put it in reverse to cool your railway room.

Edited by aardvark
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1