Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, KNP said:

For some reason I felt the colour balance of this iPhone pictures was...off.

Couldn't put my finger on exactly why so here it is...

4865.thumb.jpg.a1fda7d5d890f0b59d48b1ed5de389b8.jpg

Then in monochrome 

4865a.thumb.jpg.939c9b7b2f5ba40fb56c70f79edcdf12.jpg

Which I felt was the better of the two!

Sorry to disagree, nothing new there I hear you shout, but its the colour one for me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KNP said:

For some reason I felt the colour balance of this iPhone pictures was...off.

Couldn't put my finger on exactly why so here it is...

4865.thumb.jpg.a1fda7d5d890f0b59d48b1ed5de389b8.jpg

Then in monochrome 

4865a.thumb.jpg.939c9b7b2f5ba40fb56c70f79edcdf12.jpg

Which I felt was the better of the two!

Face of building in background in "full sun" but buildings in foreground with the same orientation in shade?

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Face of building in background in "full sun" but buildings in foreground with the same orientation in shade?

I think Harlequin has definitely SHED some LIGHT on the reason.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Congratulations on 1 million views Kevin. That’s an awesome milestone.

Thanks, I had absolutely no idea.

Where can you find this info?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

9 hours ago, KNP said:

Been growing ivy today

4E710AEF-B532-4338-8D4B-EE38F206D9D4.thumb.jpeg.0143e9f5f43d4039c70643b0125355eb.jpeg

B265AFDB-0B1B-42A6-9DD8-451F1F68623D.thumb.jpeg.962ecc34e2e004df38c020327a97b011.jpeg

Need to let the glue dry before sealing and adding some paint detailing.

Hmmm I'm not entirely liking the ivy I'm afraid. Yes I know you don't care what I think, but you know what they say- in for pound, in for a penny.

So why am I not liking it I hear you ask. Well it's to do with the amount of it. Not necessarily the coverage but its density. Ivy of that density would take some time to accrue. It would also weigh quite a bit. You would therefore expect to see some impact on the roof. Such as broken or slipped tiles, sagging rafters etc. 

If you look at real life examples you'll see that ivy produces a great amount of leafage. Because it's also evergreen any dead matter is usually contained within the foliage hence the weight.

Anyway feel free to ignore but I felt I needed to chip in. Hope you don't feel this is a criticism as it's not. Just passing on some knowledge I've acquired from dealing with the stuff in real life.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmmm I'm not entirely liking the ivy I'm afraid. Yes I know you don't care what I think, but you know what they say- in for pound, in for a penny.

So why am I not liking it I hear you ask. Well it's to do with the amount of it. Not necessarily the coverage but its density. Ivy of that density would take some time to accrue. It would also weigh quite a bit. You would therefore expect to see some impact on the roof. Such as broken or slipped tiles, sagging rafters etc. 

If you look at real life examples you'll see that ivy produces a great amount of leafage. Because it's also evergreen any dead matter is usually contained within the foliage hence the weight.

Anyway feel free to ignore but I felt I needed to chip in. Hope you don't feel this is a criticism as it's not. Just passing on some knowledge I've acquired from dealing with the stuff in real life.

No problem, might come back and have another go.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ponthir28 said:

I thought a iPhone was a proper camera. Well a lot better than some of my old cameras.

On our last trip to the uk I took my DSLR and loads of people commented on it…. As if it’s unusual… which I guess these days increasingly it is!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

44 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I thought a iPhone was a proper camera.

The technology has improved massively over the last few years, but a large sensor high-end DSLR will still give a much better image, especially when coupled to a high quality lens. 

For me, the key indicator is that even now, you never see a wedding photographer, or anybody who takes photographs professionally, using a phone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

On our last trip to the uk I took my DSLR and loads of people commented on it…. As if it’s unusual… which I guess these days increasingly it is!

The big advantage of a decent smartphone is that it is always with you and weighs next to nothing, but also it copes pretty well with most subjects - and enables you to then send the resulting pic to friends, family or your fave social medium, where it can be online in seconds. DSLRs, and their mirrorless replacements, still don't make it at all easy to do that. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The big advantage of a decent smartphone is that it is always with you and weighs next to nothing, but also it copes pretty well with most subjects - and enables you to then send the resulting pic to friends, family or your fave social medium, where it can be online in seconds. DSLRs, and their mirrorless replacements, still don't make it at all easy to do that. 

Was out with the dog at a get together and there was somebody there with a DSLR with a long lens and they were b....y massive. It didnt  help though that the young lady whose it was wasn't on the big size so it just made the camera appear even bigger. Plus it must have weighed a tonne.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Was out with the dog at a get together and there was somebody there with a DSLR with a long lens and they were b....y massive. It didnt  help though that the young lady whose it was wasn't on the big size so it just made the camera appear even bigger. Plus it must have weighed a tonne.

A decent full-frame DSLR and a useful zoom can weigh 2 kilos or more. APS-C DSLRs are smaller and weigh less, though. Mirrorless cameras look like smaller DSLRs, and do weigh less - but many of the lenses weigh just as much, although that is improving as the designs evolve. An f2.8 zoom is always a lot of glass. Having that lot round your neck all day makes a smartphone seem quite nice!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Of course the other factor is that I still haven't "processed" the DSLR photos - yet the iPhone opens have already been passed around.

Plus, because I don't use the DSLR as much now, I struggle to get the right exposure settings - or at least struggle to get them straight away. whereas the phone is just so much easier.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

One thing I will say on behalf of the mobile phone is that it is great for ‘instant’ pictures enabling you to check work as you proceed.

Used it a few minutes ago to check some work I have done to the ivy……

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t owned a decent camera for years so on my last phone  upgrade opted for the iPhone 12ProMax and while it will never have the ability for parameters to be adjusted like a DSLR it really is an excellent camera. Also the ability to send those photos anywhere instantly is priceless. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 2