Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Schooner said:

A rail barrier sounded like a great idea...but then I wondered if the impediment to road access would count against it? Motor lorries could back up to the crane's plumb easily enough...but anything horse drawn might have a harder time.

What does the photo record suggest?

None of my reference photos show any protective rails on the ground alongside the cranes.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Schooner said:

A rail barrier sounded like a great idea...but then I wondered if the impediment to road access would count against it? Motor lorries could back up to the crane's plumb easily enough...but anything horse drawn might have a harder time.

What does the photo records suggest?

I don't know about the photo records but have seen teams of horses working in the past and with a skilled driver and experienced horses, they can get into places I wouldn't have previously thought possible and with considerable precision. Many years ago I saw a demonstration of a pair of heavy horses and a cart at a [working] museum and they could back that up to a loading bay and go round obstacles. I was still at school and wasn't driving but to my untrained eye they seemed to be as good as someone in a motor vehicle. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Right, let the shunting between.

6017.jpg.dd26f370994f23c3d4d4caf28a4bda88.jpg

And more tomorrow (well you've had 5 pictures today!!!)

The clever bit will be uncoupling the toplight before pulling back and putting the B-set in the run-round road. But does the toplight have a handbrake?

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 16/09/2024 at 17:54, KNP said:

Progress update on yard crane.

Now signal wagons are finished I have recommenced this project.

Everything was painted light grey, then given a wash of black/grey, then pencil graphite painted on as a wash or brushed on then buffed up. A dry brush of light grey was then applied externally to highlight raise areas.

Spindle now fitted on the layout on a thick plastic rod so if I need to I can lift the crane off leaving the spindle behind.

Now drying again whilst I work on the remaining handles, then the crane/hook need fitting and I expect more weathering work as I see fit.

YC1.jpg.7a53c96fcee25d93ef060fff511783ab.jpg

I do like the yard crane, and I am sorely tempted.  It's a bit kind of like an approximation to something different from what was in the yard at Banff.

But well done to both of you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The clever bit will be uncoupling the toplight before pulling back and putting the B-set in the run-round road. But does the toplight have a handbrake?

Vac will hold it long enough for that - but good practice to chuck a chock in if it's on a gradient...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, KNP said:

Well there she is, ladies and gentlemen, all finished and waiting for the first job to arrive.

6ton GWR Yard Crane from Phil (Harlequin)

YC7.jpg.e023abfcefb145abb532c622a81d68de.jpg

YC8.jpg.fe15e1b447227e76b14feaa4a05ab55e.jpg

Top Tip

When adding thin chain like in this model use gravity to assist, hold the chain so it is hanging vertically then move the model and feed it in and not the other way round as the links get caught up easily when trying to pull.

That's such an impressive job of an already impressive model, I've asked Phil @Harlequin to put my name down for the next batch.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KNP said:

Shunting

Part 2

The loco returns and collects the B set and pulls them back up the line

6018.jpg.bab66f6dd33c4abe63bbeaa1a9adc8db.jpg

6019.jpg.6d6f6f5351dcda3be9846bcc135047ac.jpg

Points change and the coaches are shunted back into the loop, left and the loco returns to the branch line

6020.jpg.8f708a8aacfe0523513dd26a4e7deb8e.jpg

6021.jpg.40b78fc9830885a57272f788c7186c55.jpg

Again points are changed and the loco gets ready to collect the toplight coach

6022.jpg.bea524c9ddce8fae73c0bb7ba1322e9c.jpg

And the saga concludes tomorrow....

I presume that is the prototypical way of doing it. I expected the loco to push all three coaches up to the buffers, leave the toplight, draw forward, leave the B-set, collect the toplight via the run-round loop, then reverse it back onto the B-set still in the platform.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1