Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, KNP said:

Progress update on yard crane.

Now signal wagons are finished I have recommenced this project.

Everything was painted light grey, then given a wash of black/grey, then pencil graphite painted on as a wash or brushed on then buffed up. A dry brush of light grey was then applied externally to highlight raise areas.

Spindle now fitted on the layout on a thick plastic rod so if I need to I can lift the crane off leaving the spindle behind.

Now drying again whilst I work on the remaining handles, then the crane/hook need fitting and I expect more weathering work as I see fit.

YC1.jpg.7a53c96fcee25d93ef060fff511783ab.jpg

That looks amazing, Kevin! (And great focus stacking to get it all in focus along with the background!)

The thin line around the outside of the pinion ring is where ground level should be, ideally. Since yard surfaces are usually built up to sleeper level the idea was that you could either set the base down into that build-up so that the ring is at ground level or if that's too destructive to file the extra millimeter off the base up to the line.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

41 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I would think that picture alone might help to sell a few more kits, if that is what Harlequin wants. 

Well I hope so, having missed the announcement of the first batch. 🙄 

Having seen several in situ on layouts they clearly don't dominate the smaller goods yard.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well I hope so, having missed the announcement of the first batch. 🙄 

Having seen several in situ on layouts they clearly don't dominate the smaller goods yard.

And for those of us who don't know, neither do they shout 'GWR', so a more general use is possible for those who need one. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

39 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

That looks amazing, Kevin! (And great focus stacking to get it all in focus along with the background!)

The thin line around the outside of the pinion ring is where ground level should be, ideally. Since yard surfaces are usually built up to sleeper level the idea was that you could either set the base down into that build-up so that the ring is at ground level or if that's too destructive to file the extra millimeter off the base up to the line.

39 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Thanks

I was aware of the ground level line and I didn't want to start hacking the layout about so I might do as you suggested file a bit of, paint the lower bit to look like engineering bricks and then run and hide!!!!

I have said it before but I am still amazed at how robust it is as my weathering techniques can be a bit brutal....

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, KNP said:

Thanks

I was aware of the ground level line and I didn't want to start hacking the layout about so I might do as you suggested file a bit of, paint the lower bit to look like engineering bricks and then run and hide!!!!

I have said it before but I am still amazed at how robust it is as my weathering techniques can be a bit brutal....

Maybe I should supply two versions of the pillar and pinion ring? One for setting in and one to stand on the existing surface?

I can easily make a "surface-mount" version for you if you want.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Maybe I should supply two versions of the pillar and pinion ring? One for setting in and one to stand on the existing surface?

I can easily make a "surface-mount" version for you if you want.

I would swop them around making the surface one the main one with a set in one as an option. I would surmise that most of these will be a retro fit to existing layouts like mine..

Thanks for the offer but I’m happy fiddling with my current one but if I get into problems I’ll give you a shout.

• Like 6

Seeing your progress, I decided to get my crane out of its box. Spent a couple of hours extracting the jib and the other bits. What a lovely job Phil has made.  When I’m ready mine will be an important addition to Welshpool, my Grandad used the real one in Welshpool frequently for loading timber. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just need some men standing round wondering how they are going to achieve it. Perhaps they could seek advice from the ones at the Creamery or the Engine Shed?

Perhaps that's what's in the crate, chain and hook delivered to the wrong place???????

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well if that's the case I think your going to need a bigger crane because that's an awfully big crate.

True, but perhaps it’s well packed!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, KNP said:

Bit more weathering done, now must really leave it alone as I need to add the chain and hook so it needs to be thoroughly dry when I handle it.

Decision time, do I put the hook at ground level, suspended halfway or at the top....decisions, decisions, decisions......?

I believe, but stand to be corrected, that when not being used crane hooks had to be secured, usually to a ring in the ground. A hook swinging about can cause considerable damage even a small one.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Benbow said:

I believe, but stand to be corrected, that when not being used crane hooks had to be secured, usually to a ring in the ground. A hook swinging about can cause considerable damage even a small one.

Beat me to it! It's also a hazard dangling at head height when being raised or lowered, so the weight ball was often painted white.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, KNP said:

.... I also plan to built a storage box at the end of the coal staithes with the lid lifted and odds and ends stored (like the spare winding handles!) 

Also was wondering if I should add a piece of safety barrier (old rail) to the side of the crane to protect it when a vehicle goes past (like you see on weighbridges)

Both of these sound very good ideas to me - little pieces of realism not often modelled. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A rail barrier sounded like a great idea...but then I wondered if the impediment to road access would count against it? Motor lorries could back up to the crane's plumb easily enough...but anything horse drawn might have a harder time.

What does the photo recors suggest?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4