Little Muddle

KNP

58 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Bet the locals were excited when that excursion arrived the shopkeepers must have been very cheerful ,is it going to be regular service?

They made a killing…..??

Well we then have some shunting of the coaches and then the return journey to look forward to!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, le petit Français said:

Good morning, I am French and do not speak English. I use Google Translate... Please forgive me but I really wanted to write to you. I came across your network by chance on the web. I read all the posts and I must admit that I fell in love with your Little Muddle. I have a small network in HO (1/87) which represents a small French station and I planned to enlarge it with a curve and a viaduct. However, it was your network that made me want to make a bridge and a curving river in a bucolic setting. If this is of interest to forum members, I could post a post from my network. Congratulations for your masterpiece which I read every day with enthusiasm. Sincerely Michael

I think good modelling is international. I would be happy to see pictures of your HO model on RMWeb - maybe you could start a thread in 'Layout topics' ?  

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

4 hours ago, le petit Français said:

Good morning, I am French and do not speak English. I use Google Translate... Please forgive me but I really wanted to write to you. I came across your network by chance on the web. I read all the posts and I must admit that I fell in love with your Little Muddle. I have a small network in HO (1/87) which represents a small French station and I planned to enlarge it with a curve and a viaduct. However, it was your network that made me want to make a bridge and a curving river in a bucolic setting. If this is of interest to forum members, I could post a post from my network. Congratulations for your masterpiece which I read every day with enthusiasm. Sincerely Michael

Many thanks for your kind words and look forward to seeing your layout on this forum.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, le petit Français said:

It's good to hear from you and don't worry. I use Google translate (with some care as it still gets some things wrong*) for my posts on Forums LR Presse (the nearest French equivalent to RMWeb)  I look forward to learning more about your Sainte-Apolline layout.

*my favourite was its literal translation of Voie Ferrée as "Shoed Road" though it's much better nowadays. Réseau means network (as in the Réseau Breton) but in our field of interest it means layout. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

It's good to hear from you and don't worry. I use Google translate (with some care as it still gets some things wrong*) for my posts on Forums LR Presse (the nearest French equivalent to RMWeb)  I look forward to learning more about your Sainte-Apolline layout.

*my favourite was its literal translation of Voie Ferrée as "Shoed Road" though it's much better nowadays. Réseau means network (as in the Réseau Breton) but in our field of interest it means layout. 

One Google translation that always amuses me is pompier for a (locomotive) fireman. It is, of course, chauffeur, but I'm not sure I would know that if I hadn't learnt it at school.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, le petit Français said:

Your model sounds very interesting and I'd also like to see what you have built.

Like you, I found some pictures of Little Muddle on the internet and in my case they inspired me to start modelling again after twenty years.

I also started a thread in the layout section titled "Aston On Clun, a forgotten Great Western outpost", it has been a great source of encouragement, technical help and the chance to make the acquaintance of some very friendly and knowledgeable people.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 hours ago, le petit Français said:

I find a much better translation tool is https://www.deepl.com/en/translator; my wife is French and rarely does she have to correct the results.  The free version is enough to translate a couple of paragraphs at a time.  I look forward to seeing the layout you build, perhaps you can post a link here?

Je trouve que https://www.deepl.com/fr/translator est un bien meilleur outil de traduction ; ma femme est francaise et il est rare qu'elle ait a corriger les resultats.  La version gratuite suffit pour traduire quelques paragraphes a la fois.  J'ai hate de voir l'agencement que vous avez construit, peut-etre pouvez-vous poster un lien ici ?

Martin

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Pendennis said:

Je trouve qu'un outil de traduction bien meilleur est https://www.deepl.com/en/translator ; ma femme est française et elle a rarement besoin de corriger les résultats. La version gratuite suffit à traduire quelques paragraphes à la fois. J'ai hâte de voir la mise en page que vous allez créer, peut-être pouvez-vous poster un lien ici ?

Je trouve que https://www.deepl.com/fr/translator est un bien meilleur outil de traduction ; ma femme est française et il est rare qu'elle ait à corriger les résultats. La version gratuite suffit pour traduire quelques paragraphes à la fois. J'ai déteste voir l'agencement que vous avez construit, peut-être peut-vous afficher un lien ici ?

Martin

Hello
Here's the link to my network post called “Saint Apolline .... a new life”.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/188189-saint-apolline-a-new-life/

• Like 9

Just now, KNP said:

Yard crane now painted light grey and I have to say that was time consuming getting inside the bracing with a small brush.

Then my plan is to apply some washes of black or dirt or both!!! tomorrow when dry.

Now basking in the sun…..

IMG_9526.jpeg.f6311c6a9bdbf5763102eef21985a3cd.jpeg

Painting has highlighted even more details….and being Matt we have shadow lines appearing.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, KNP said:

Yard crane now painted light grey and I have to say that was time consuming getting inside the bracing with a small brush.

Then my plan is to apply some washes of black or dirt or both!!! tomorrow when dry.

Now basking in the sun…..

IMG_9526.jpeg.f6311c6a9bdbf5763102eef21985a3cd.jpeg

Imagine the poor workers who had to paint the real cranes with multiple coats every few years... At least we've only got to do it once! 🙂

The gear teeth were always dark greasy/rust coloured and the axle bearings seemed to leak oil. The winding drum, having chain wound and unwound around it frequently, had the paint rubbed off very quickly down to rusty metal.

Are you leaving the brake handle until last? (Don't forget it!)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Imagine the poor workers who had to paint the real cranes with multiple coats every few years... At least we've only got to do it once! 🙂

The gear teeth were always dark greasy/rust coloured and the axle bearings seemed to leak oil. The winding drum, having chain wound and unwound frequently, had the paint rubbed off very quickly down to rusty metal.

Are you leaving the brake handle until last? (Don't forget it!)

Thanks for the input and yes all those fiddly bits will be painted separately then added

This being used as a base coat as well to highlight any bits of plastic etc that I missed when cleaning it up and I have found a few!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

14 minutes ago, KNP said:

Coaches could do with a clean

6005.jpg.0c4ab4f4bc14a7f2e225231e53a88648.jpg

Now we wait for the passengers to get off.

No boarding before Sunday please. It is after all a Sunday Service. Anyway it'll give you time to clean the outside of them and run through with a dust pan and broom inside. Can't have company property looking grubby can we. What would the passengers say.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No boarding before Sunday please. It is after all a Sunday Service. Anyway it'll give you time to clean the outside of them and run through with a dust pan and broom inside. Can't have company property looking grubby can we. What would the passengers say.

Get the signalman to block the loop and sweep the dust out of the doors on that side.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7