Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Welchester said:

TMI

Quite some years ago I recall no less than the General Manager, Southern Region, being photographed in the daily press - wearing suspenders. Not a ladies' style item, mind you, and he'd removed his trousers because there was a fund-raising charity doing ironing on the concourse at Waterloo that morning. He would have been more at ease than some in so doing, being a Morris man and a hockey player. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Quite some years ago I recall no less than the General Manager, Southern Region, being photographed in the daily press - wearing suspenders. Not a ladies' style item, mind you, and he'd removed his trousers because there was a fund-raising charity doing ironing on the concourse at Waterloo that morning. He would have been more at ease than some in so doing, being a Morris man and a hockey player. 

Is this the fellow?

IMG_0442.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Actually, no. It was John Ellis, a smashing bloke who since retirement has been involved with the preservation movement, I think. But the leg-wear is similar. The shirt/chemise was certainly not like that. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Welchester said:

I'd forgotten there was such a thing as sock suspenders. I imagine they would cause varicose veins.

What you really need are Threadgold's Thorough-grip Garterettes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

What you really need are Threadgold's Thorough-grip Garterettes.

Your intimate knowledge of the market in such items does you great credit, John. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

For a minute I thought you might be spying on the diary to see if they'd opened the crate. 

The crate is Pandora's box. And if you met Pandora, you wouldn't want much to do with her box....

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The crate is Pandora's box. And if you met Pandora, you wouldn't want much to do with her box....

Oh, I don't know. I'd heard she was quite hot.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, KNP said:

Was that because she was standing next to the fire???

Yes, she was very close to her uncle and her daughter.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Good afternoon Kevin,

Proper job!

Just the inspiration I need to load up my T3 wagon from Chris.

I have acquired a couple of Ratio square and round post signal kits, but no boxes yet for the parts as you have shown/shewn.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, she was very close to her uncle and her daughter.

I met a girl called Pandora, she was George Melly’s daughter, a swing singer too. The family were part of the P&O empire hence the name. TMI?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

6 hours ago, KNP said:

For a few days been working on the signal load for one of the T3 wagons and I have to say building and loading them into a wagon was quite an exercise.

I have very few pictures of how they loaded them so this is my idea how a Home and a Home/distant signal could be loaded. I have assumed they where built in the yard complete and then dismantled for moving to the location.

I had a box of signal bits from a very old Ratio kit that was kicking around so these where used.

First I put some transverse beams in so the posts could be rested on them which would make for slings being easily threaded under to lift. To stop them moving about some battens fitted each side to clamp them. The signals and ladders are fitted between some vertical timbers to stop them damaging themselves whilst in transit. Boxes added with bits and pieces needed to complete the signals on site, rope and chain thrown in for good measure.

All the works tools I have assumed would be in the tool van

The boxes are modified ones from Scale Model Scenery.

Will need a coat of matt varnish as I don't do sheen!!!!!

6003.jpg.3e77d75bc0d37ca46e6faa9ca8aca200.jpg

6004.jpg.3e38eaf65501260e1c3cca6bbe74decc.jpg

Apparently, and I don't know how many of you know this, but if you go down the stores in the signal works for some finials they come in boxes of four now!!!

and they don't split anymore!

😉😉😉

Not sure on the second T3 load but at the moment I propose to use up any bits left over and to load it with a new platform and short posts for a bracket signal alteration?

Kev,

Firstly great work on the T3, it looks great.

Secondly, thanks for the inspiration. This is great as:

A. I think I have a damaged/part missing LMS Ratio signal kit in my bits box.

B. I wanted an excuse to get an Oxford steam crane, but was unsure on what it could be doing. I think a permanent way train erecting signals is a great idea!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1