Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

When a boy our milk came from a small dairy round the corner. Gold top was fairly new then. Fridges were rare so we had a earthenware pot that you half filled with water and stood the milk inside. Water evaporating through the pot cooled the milk. If you needed some milk on a Sunday you walked up to the farm with a jug the cowman would fill it with milk still warm from a churn.

Don

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Groundhog Day in Little Muddle.

Again.

Seriously though, I've been up since stupid o'clock, normally when I tune in, my daily dose of inspiration has been posted.

Patience, it's on its way.

Just hadn't got any ready so a few going through the editing suite as I type....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Back in late forties we had our milk from United Dairies  horse drawn of course ,opposite one of my aunts flat was one of their depots .It was great watching the floats returning as they had to go up a ramp and they really hammered up it ,the horses were well looked after.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks Kevin, but don't feel like you are under pressure from the fans! 

It matters not that it's an archive picture, 

A much upgraded 2251 and some cattle wagons is a great thing to see first thing in the morning!😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Back in late forties we had our milk from United Dairies  horse drawn of course ,opposite one of my aunts flat was one of their depots .It was great watching the floats returning as they had to go up a ramp and they really hammered up it ,the horses were well looked after.

We had horse drawn United Dairies milk floats in Cheam in the early ‘50s and the horses were pampered by customers on their round. A few days after our float and horse were made redundant and replaced by a shiny new electric float our horse managed to escape his new home and did his round alone to enjoy his usual attention - until caught.

• Like 11

I remember my grandmother talking about the milk being delivered around the village by horse and cart, but the cart contained a large churn and the girl driving the cart would decant the milk using a pint measure on a long handle. 

No bottles, you had to turn out of the house with a jug. That was apparently well into the 1940s. Later they got pint bottles with a wide neck that had a waxed cardboard top which pressed into a groove on the inside of the neck. Apparently they were much more sparrow proof than the foil tops which came in later.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3