Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Computer repaired with new HDD but a solid state one which seems very fast.

Oh yes, no moving parts you see.  Even if it fails in the future, barring any physical damage, it should still be readable 👍

Of course then there's NVMe's that fit directly into your motherboard, them's really fast too.  

I must get back to the TT thread now 😬

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, KNP said:

As you have all been so good and patient here is another picture

8DAE666E-7995-4CA0-B141-3459F499C59D.jpeg.52e7cbaac5a1ec025306172f9df6a8b3.jpeg

It is Saturday so we can be very patient, just been to Haddenham Village hall the Risboro club are having an exhibition today good to see the club back out. They are moving to Quainton railway centre so that will a plus for them. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/10/2022 at 18:06, MrWolf said:

A little too much perhaps, the Snowdrops might just put him on a charge of conduct unbecoming...

A charge over the Squadron Leader’s over enthusiastic ‘joy-sticking’ will have to wait, there’s proper criminals out there to be caught:

CA2DC5C2-6CC6-4817-9EF6-BCD1D0232F50.jpeg.0118faa580af02db34d1f1c3988a5fbf.jpeg

(An ex-Snowdrop!) 😇 😁

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Oh yes, no moving parts you see.  Even if it fails in the future, barring any physical damage, it should still be readable 👍

I use tiny Samsung T5 & now T7 SSDs for backups. Rather smaller than a fag-packet. Amazon sell them. Awfully convenient, too, when a new PC appears and you simply upload the lot. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2022 at 11:31, Tim Dubya said:

Of course then there's NVMe's that fit directly into your motherboard, them's really fast too.  

I must get back to the TT thread now 😬

I've just been sorting through some old computers for the missus, recovering pics etc from the kids old computers before we WEEE on them. There was one HDD on it's own with "GOOD" written on it in marker. I hooked it up to my PC and was met with the Click of Death. It took a while but I managed to recover the data off it. It was when unplugging it that I saw the make/model - Hitachi Deskstar, given the nickname Deathstar by those in the know for a good reason!!

<tempting fate>

I've had SSDs on my main PC for the OS drive for about 10 years now, extremely reliable.

</tempting fate>

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Hitachi Deskstar, given the nickname Deathstar by those in the know for a good reason!!

Yes, I was going to liberate the HDD's from my old PPD* copier, but upon opening the caddy, I discovered the deathstar within.  They don't even make good paperweights 🙄

*production printing (big fat 100 copy a minute copier/printer).

Edited by Tim Dubya
PPD for the masses.
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have an aviary story, with a heavy railway influence. About 40 years ago, I had a colleague called John, who was Motive Power Office for the South Eastern Division, and he told me a tale of when he was a fireman, I think at Devons Road, Bow, depot. 

He was firing on a loco on a local freight, awaiting path in the maze of lines around Stratford (ER). Across several running lines he and his driver were watching a couple of colleagues on a steam loco which was going for it, up a bit of an incline with a string of wagons. John could see the other loco hadn't actually got the road (i.e. the signal was against them) and he and his driver waved vigorously - but the other driver simply waved back! Too late he realised his error but by then it was indeed too late, and he found himself going up a short dead-end and straight through the buffer stops - the weight of his train was gonna take some stopping, and steam locos never did stop on a sixpence! Beyond the buffer stops he was now headed through a few back-gardens, and, you guessed it, he came across an aviary, through which he punched a train-shaped hole, releasing a huge cloud of feathery escapees. Seconds later John saw the owner emerge from the house, dancing up and down in apoplectic disbelief......

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

19 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Wow! thats going to be small Kevin - grains of rice perhaps?

Nice idea.

At that size I believe a hint of one should suffice so a grain of rice might work 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Did you know that budgerigars appear so strikingly colourful because they reflect UV light along with "visible" light?

I wonder what little flourescent blue, green, yellow, white (etc.) grains of rice would look like in there...

😁

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, but isn't a grain of rice about the size of a rugby ball in 4mm?

I do recall that there's a model of a robin atop a spade handle in one of Pendon's gardens though, so it can be done - 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, but isn't a grain of rice about the size of a rugby ball in 4mm?

I do recall that there's a model of a robin atop a spade handle in one of Pendon's gardens though, so it can be done 

Perhaps mine could be a bit plump?

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

29 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I do recall that there's a model of a robin atop a spade handle in one of Pendon's gardens though, so it can be done - 

Cous Cous?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3