Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I think that the big question is why can't the designers of the modern equivalent come up with something which looks that good?

Current shapes and liveries look like the box your toothpaste came in...

I blame the wind tunnels…..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

Even the current GWR livery is wrong... now imagine an 800 in chocolate and cream with a proper WR green liveried power car...

That could be a bit confusing with green vehicles in between the chocolate and cream ones😇  (that's right - the ones on the ends aren't power cars, they don't have engines).

Now this is going to get a bit noisy as the Signalman notices the lack of side lamps on the brakevan and bangs off 7 beats on the bell to the 'box in advance.

(Saturday has been renamed Pedantsday)

On 06/10/2022 at 07:44, KNP said:

TMT

5043.jpg.6243fffa750ee55cac499a0fae885b0e.jpg

5044.jpg.563ddf2c7a5c5fdd4bef8d176ee20d60.jpg

sy

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That could be a bit confusing with green vehicles in between the chocolate and cream ones😇  (that's right - the ones on the ends aren't power cars, they don't have engines).

I stand corrected Sir. ... the 125's would have been nice like that, the 800's do remind me of a Bannana though ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've just spotted that your brake van is one with a planked rather than plated over verandah. Could you please tell me what the origins of it are?

Errrr....

I forgot so I had to go upstairs to the layout to have a look....

Oxford Rail 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2022 at 15:53, The Stationmaster said:

Now this is going to get a bit noisy as the Signalman notices the lack of side lamps on the brakevan and bangs off 7 beats on the bell to the 'box in advance.

(Saturday has been renamed Pedantsday)

sy

I assume that I need to fix one by the Verandah door, white with red lens?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

I assume that I need to fix one by the Verandah door, white with red lens?

Black, both sides, red lenses facing backwards, white lenses facing forwards.

Here's one of mine:

IMG_20221009_184253r.jpg.9b6772efd22b22276b6f1b8422089b5b.jpg

The side lamps are a bit wonky because the Oxford lamp brackets don't quite leave enough room for the Modelu lamp holes. To be honest, it's amazing to be able to slide lamps onto those brackets at all!

I use red head and tail lamps but don't worry about that - the side lamps remained black when the head/tail lamps changed over to white.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

36 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Black, both sides, red lenses facing backwards, white lenses facing forwards.

Here's one of mine:

IMG_20221009_184253r.jpg.9b6772efd22b22276b6f1b8422089b5b.jpg

The side lamps are a bit wonky because the Oxford lamp brackets don't quite leave enough room for the Modelu lamp holes. To be honest, it's amazing to be able to slide lamps onto those brackets at all!

I use red head and tail lamps but don't worry about that - the side lamps remained black when the head/tail lamps changed over to white.

Thanks, would that be correct for 1938?

• Like 1

Here's my old beater from Mainline. Black sidelamps, but Swindon hasn't reclaimed the tail lamp yet. I wonder how long it took to recall and repaint all the lamps?

I really must get the area between cattle yard and goods yard finished!

IMG_20221009_220442.jpg.55ea6011507f3658eb8c777bf676bfd7.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I think so, except that the tail lamp would/might be white.

Hopefully, The Stationmaster will confirm.

Definitely white by 1938…. But given the order to change was issued in December 1936…. How quickly would every lamp on the system be changed?

Which reminds me that I have a stock of Red loco lamps that need finishing off before the Manor arrives 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, KNP said:

Looking out across the valley we catch sight of 'The Expansion' and how it adds to this corner.

I have to say for that last few days work has been a bit slow, as I am waiting for some bits to arrive....

5051.jpg.bfe4c2e73bc4c6d85de7b6490c40edd8.jpg

That really does show what a difference the 'expanse' has made.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s tempting to describe the expansion of your model world as ‘organic’ but I think that just means you can’t see the joins!

It’s been fascinating to watch - but is there any more space to develop ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your comments, the corner extension has certainly added some depth far in excess of its size.

Works, well the windmill is still on the cards, as a replacement for the derelict cottage. I had a suggestion to base it on the one at Quainton and when I went to the railway centre a month or so ago with my grandson I drove into the village and had a look.

The advantage of that one is that it sits in a slight dip, surround by trees (30's pictures confirm) and its very tall so it would be quite a feature on this layout

I would have to scratch build it but that would be an adventure in its own right.

Other projects, well these tweaks that have been done over the last few years weren't planned so I expect something else will spring to mind when my mind is wandering..............

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks very nice but I notice that the owners of the property in the background must have central heating and have removed their chimney pots.

Edited by Chris116
Missing word
  • Funny 4